• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games that don't feel like they are part of their franchise

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
Years
  • Basically any Crash Bandicoot game from Crash Twinsanity onwards (obviously excluding the remakes): the spin-offs are completely different from the other spin-offs (Tag Team Racing has a completely different gameplay from CTR and Nitro Kart, while Boom Bang is a poor copy of Mario Party and a likely contender for the worst game I've ever played, completely different from the good-though-average Crash Bash, and the Spyro crossover is also a pretty bad minigame compilation), the two Titans games are action brawlers instead of platformers and there were unneeded radical redesigns of nearly every character, and as for Twinsanity itself while being a regular platformer I never really liked that the faux-open world style instead of just levels made them remove such a staple of the franchise like box gems and relics.

Mario Party 9 and 10 tried that all-in-one-vehicle approach which eventually made the whole thing less exciting, though in the end it wasn't that bad and the minigames were good (unlike many from MP8), we still played MP9 a lot at home. To be honest I grew tired a lot quicker with Super Mario Party's lacking content...

Anno 2070's new setting was quite a huge let-down to me, I felt like there was little interesting in it and quickly abandoned it also due to the performance issues.

SimCity Societies is another one, imho it wasn't even bad but its different focus and aesthetic felt like a completely different city-builder with the SimCity name slapped onto it.

Also it has already been mentioned but Sacred 3 definitely fits in here, an uninspired brawler with levels instead of the wonderful lore-rich open world hack-and-slash the two predecessors were. I still feel sad for how bad the series died (even if the second game's development made the original developer bankrupt and there are obvious signs of it in the game), I loved and replayed the first two games for years.

Back