• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen 5: Cross Breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Wouldn't it be awesome if in Gen 5, some pokemon could cross breed? for example a Garchomp & a Tyranitar = Gartar (I know it what we are all thinking)

Obviously only some pokemon could cross breed...
    and its possible for example - Nidoking & Nidoqueen!

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    We had a topic like this in the Pokémon chit-chat some time ago. Well, it goes against the foundation of Pocket Monster breeding. Imagine, the numerous breeding groups with countless Pocket Monsters crossbreeding? That's like... thousands of new Pocket Monsters. (And that does that require? Stats, movepool merge, abilities, sprites, etc) Also, egg moves are created by breeding different Pocket Monsters already. Lets look at Garchomp & Tyranitar, like your example. Chomp breeds with Tyranitar line to possibly obtain the following moves: Iron Head, Scary Face, and Thrash. So, say it did happen, instead of a new move, you're stuck with a new Pocket Monster. See? That's why it also goes against the backbone of Pokémon breeding. Unless the involvement of an item, but then we're running into the baby Pokémon nerve. And lets talk about Gartar for a second, what if that breeds with something? Think of all the things that might add / change.

Also, it'd be far too much of a hassle. (Sprites, etc) And I could only imagine more flames on
    Pokémon for lack of creativity. ("OMG WTF IS A FLYZARD?!1") Not only that, it'd probably spiral into pure confusion. We have a enough trouble figuring out the basics of babies, no? Oh! Speaking of, baby Pocket Monsters are kinda like crossbreeding. Rekhyt brought it up: "Theoretically, it can already be done by putting a Clefairy and a Clefable in the daycare. the Pokémon bred from them isn't either of them, instead, you get a Cleffa." So yeah.

It's a nice idea and all, but Azupichu? Overall, it'd simply be too much of confusion, hassle, and such a... drive off the breeding road. I can only see crossbreeding sending Pocket Monsters down a bad path. (The lines of evolution could branch out into so many alternatives it'd be... o_o yeah) I think the current breeding system is perfectly fine, and touching a nerve like crossbreeding could easily affect many factors. (such as sparking completely new things that could really mess up the metagame, from a competitive play perspective)

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    XD I don't think I made it clear enough, only some would breed, like the ones that made sense... obviously not chomp & t-tar, but things like raticate & fearow or something...

DJ Lorik

Honey, I just forgot to duck.
    Years
    yea, I guess it COULD just work out, but it would end up being way to messy and weird if something like that was possible. But I would be open to that kind of idea, it'd be interesting to see what Pokemon come out.

Years
    No it would be way way way too confusing cause if u get pokemon to cross breed every single one of those pokemon would need their very own move pool there very own stats sections and it will be so annoying and confusing so i would love to see that happen because i have thought of it since i saw venastosie but all up it is good in theroy crap in motion

devilicious

dream
    Years
    ...go play Dragon Quest Monsters.

But seriously, I don't like this idea. Maybe one or two new Pokémon that you can only get by breeding two different species, but I don't support a full system.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Can someone read my reply to BeachBoy? What I meant is that there are 10 or so new pre-evos that you can only get from cross breeding.
    Maybe if they were as rare as shinies it would be better

Cynic Kaka

Credentials.
    Years
    We had a topic like this in the Pokémon chit-chat some time ago. Well, it goes against the foundation of Pocket Monster breeding. Imagine, the numerous breeding groups with countless Pocket Monsters crossbreeding? That's like... thousands of new Pocket Monsters. (And that does that require? Stats, movepool merge, abilities, sprites, etc) Also, egg moves are created by breeding different Pocket Monsters already. Lets look at Garchomp & Tyranitar, like your example. Chomp breeds with Tyranitar line to possibly obtain the following moves: Iron Head, Scary Face, and Thrash. So, say it did happen, instead of a new move, you're stuck with a new Pocket Monster. See? That's why it also goes against the backbone of Pokémon breeding. Unless the involvement of an item, but then we're running into the baby Pokémon nerve. And lets talk about Gartar for a second, what if that breeds with something? Think of all the things that might add / change.

Also, it'd be far too much of a hassle. (Sprites, etc) And I could only imagine more flames on
    Pokémon for lack of creativity. ("OMG WTF IS A FLYZARD?!1") Not only that, it'd probably spiral into pure confusion. We have a enough trouble figuring out the basics of babies, no? Oh! Speaking of, baby Pocket Monsters are kinda like crossbreeding. Rekhyt brought it up: "Theoretically, it can already be done by putting a Clefairy and a Clefable in the daycare. the Pokémon bred from them isn't either of them, instead, you get a Cleffa." So yeah.

It's a nice idea and all, but Azupichu? Overall, it'd simply be too much of confusion, hassle, and such a... drive off the breeding road. I can only see crossbreeding sending Pocket Monsters down a bad path. (The lines of evolution could branch out into so many alternatives it'd be... o_o yeah) I think the current breeding system is perfectly fine, and touching a nerve like crossbreeding could easily affect many factors. (such as sparking completely new things that could really mess up the metagame, from a competitive play perspective)

XD

Meh,

Pokemon already defes religious beliefs with Evolution, cros-breeding would cross the line right there.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Dukey said:
    XD I don't think I made it clear enough, only some would breed, like the ones that made sense... obviously not chomp & t-tar, but things like raticate & fearow or something...
    Are you saying a Raticate (ground egg group only) and Fearow (flying group) make sense? ._.

Can someone read my reply to BeachBoy? What I meant is that there are 10 or so new pre-evos that you can only get from cross breeding.
    Maybe if they were as rare as shinies it would be better
    ...Sounds to me like you're changing your story. o_o Not once did you ever mention pre-evolution Pocket Monsters. And what you just said, that's just the baby Pocket Monster system. What exactly are you suggesting gets added? We already get new pre-evos, babies, via a theoretical crossbreeding.

ArcticGlaceon said:
    Pokemon already defes religious beliefs with Evolution, cros-breeding would cross the line right there.
    I didn't say that they didn't defy such, I just said it goes against their own breeding system.

Dukey, I think you should clarify your stance. First you're suggesting a Gartar (That in no way sounds like a pre-evolution) And what makes a Pocket Monster have the ability to crossbreed and not others? Just too confusing. D:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    What I think he's saying is you could have a select few that result in crossbreeds.

For example, Mightyena and Growlithe, and you get a pokemon that is a mix between both of those, and that maybe has it's own evolution line.

But it would have to be very exlusive to be half-decent.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Now that we have one thread for all Generation 5 discussion to go into, you guys can continue this over here . :3

-Locked-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back