• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen3Tools Issues with custom move descriptions with expanded move table

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2020
    (For reference, I am using a Firered 1.0 ROM)

Hey guys, I followed the tutorial on this site to expand the list of moves available to 511. I did so, and it all seems to work fine, except I can't properly add descriptions to my new moves!

My expanded move description table is located at 0x920000, and the free space for my new moves starts at 0x920588. So I went to my first new move, move No. 356, and I set its description offset to 920588. I then hit "save offset".

I then typed my description up, hit "save offset" again for good measure and thought I was all done. Everything looked right. But then, when I moved the viewing window to another move, and then back, the text was garbled! The second word got all messed up... it was very confusing. I checked again that the offset was correct. And this is where things get REALLY strange. Upon fixing the description and hitting "save offset" again, when I reload the move's data, the offset itself is wrong! And it is an offset that doesn't even exist in the ROM! Something absurd like DAC5903A. Obviously not a valid address in a Firered ROM.

I am very frustrated about this because I have not found anyone who has experienced anything similar to this, and there weren't any comments about this happening to anyone else on that post... so does anyone have any idea what I have done wrong? Because I am doubtful that this is a bug in Gen3Tools. I also tried to load the move in PGE and the same behavior occurs.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2020
    I have redone all of the steps in the tutorial to expand the list of moves, including repointing the description table to 0x920000, and still I have had no success.

At the very least, does anyone know of some other fashion to get extra moves working? I know many people have done it and I am ashamed that I am unable to.

Years
  • I have redone all of the steps in the tutorial to expand the list of moves, including repointing the description table to 0x920000, and still I have had no success.

At the very least, does anyone know of some other fashion to get extra moves working? I know many people have done it and I am ashamed that I am unable to.

Try DPP Attack Editor. It may solve the problem.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2020
    Thank you for the link!

However, as embarassed as I am to admit this, my troubles had come from a misunderstanding of the tables. I thought that the pointer table (which is what I had extended) was the actual description data.

So my pointer, pointed, the the pointer. And then changing the description would, as you might assume, modify that pointer, and then it would point somewhere else, causing the description to be gone...

It was a big mess, but after poking around in the ROM for a while I realized my error. Thanks again!

Years
  • I have made 50 new moves in fire red and 50 new move descriptions but they are all pound and everytime i change it, it also changes the description for pound. What should i put for these pointers?

The Falansh

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2022
    I have made 50 new moves in fire red and 50 new move descriptions but they are all pound and everytime i change it, it also changes the description for pound. What should i put for these pointers?

free spaces like 0xa00000
    or you can use free space finder .

Back