• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gen5 Pokemon Chinese names--LAUGH AT THEM!

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
  • no it does not!
    There are no Chinese games!
    I'm talking about the anime!
    We all play games in Japanese or English

They are killing the anime!
    And the anime IS using these stupid names!

Games aren't a problem because no Chinese Pokemon game exists.
    We all play Japanese or English versions, so we have already finished our games a long time ago.

It's the anime that's getting us on fire.

Also, they are airing it in the children's TV channel...against Pokemon's aims.

Here:
    Gen5 Pokemon Chinese names--LAUGH AT THEM!
    Relax, will you. You didnt state any place in the post it was concerning anime. So Serene Grace obviously moved it to the BW section, because it was concerning gen 5 names. On top of that, this wouldnt even go in the Pokemon General section, but in the Pokemon Anime Section.

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
  • Well the Japanese names are the best in my opinion and it took me a while to get used to the English ones but these are just ridiculous. As much as I like Pokemon, I don't think I would have went to the extreme of writing a letter of complaint, that's just not me. Hopefully they will release another version or something but if I was in this situation I'd just nickname all of my Pokemon.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • I just checked Bulbapedia and found these translations:

1. Pansear/Baoppu is "Stir-fried Monkey" or if you want the literal translation "Explosion Fragrant Monkey". The literal one doesn't make sense, especially with the fragrant part, but if you think about the real meaning of the name... ;~;

2. Munna is "Eat Dream Dream" and Musharna is "Dream Dream Erode" (erode in Chinese also means eclipse). Please note that Mew's Chinese name is "Dream Dream" as well. Also, it's kind of strange that, when usually the Pokemon name would be adjective + animal name, like Snivy's "Vine Vine Snake", this Pokemon doesn't follow the pattern at all.
    Note: This rule is irrelavent with the Zorua line, Reshiram/Zekrom and some others because they're just a literal translation of the Japanese name.

3. Woobat/Kokomori is "Roll Roll Bat". 'nuff said.

4. Haxorus/Onokunusu is "Double Axe Battle Dragon". The translation is okay, but it really sounds like a Digimon name when it's in Chinese.

Your Mileage May Vary with all of these, though. :/

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    This makes me interested in hearing the Korean names for 5th gen pokemon.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
  • First time I have shed tears over Pokemon since Johto Japan's "CHONCHI" became "Americanized" to "CHINCHOU".

I truly do feel for them in mainland Asia.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Heatmor's Chinese name confirms a mosquito eater in generation 6.

Obviously.

No, not really. It just means China has really bad translators.

OMG! A wild Tooth-Tooth! Oh, crap. There's a Double Axe Battle Dragon guarding it -.-

Lol! These names are just...terrible. There, I don't think anyone's used that word...have they?

I mean, wow. Stir-fried Monkey? ...kinda makes me hungry.
    Watch Vanillite be something way off like "Fire bomb soup" ...or something like that =/

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    "glass tornado"... that sounds scary to run into...

these names you can't help but laugh at

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Sadly, I don't think a letter of complaint will help this tragedy of a translation as a lot of people in Hong Kong won't throught the trouble of returning their game just to get new names.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • wow those are terrible. you would think someone would have noticed and changed it before they were approved. looks like the translators and becoming lazy and thought no one would notice how crappily translated it is

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I mean, wow. Stir-fried Monkey? ...kinda makes me hungry.
    Watch Vanillite be something way off like "Fire bomb soup" ...or something like that =/
    Vanillite's Chinese name is "Fragrant fragrant snow"...
    Holy cow! They like the word "fragrant"
    wow those are terrible. you would think someone would have noticed and changed it before they were approved. looks like the translators and becoming lazy and thought no one would notice how crappily translated it is
    They are being lazier and lazier each generation.
    Shinx and Luxray are translated as lions...what??
    Sealeo and Walrein are translated as sea-lions...goodness me! They are seals and walruses respectively

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Vanillite's Chinese name is "Fragrant fragrant snow"...
    Holy cow! They like the word "fragrant"

They are being lazier and lazier each generation.
    Shinx and Luxray are translated as lions...what??
    Sealeo and Walrein are translated as sea-lions...goodness me! They are seals and walruses respectively

China sucked at translating the anime.
    I watched the Cantonese anime before, and when I
    watched it for only 2 minutes I turned it off because they names sucked.

Anyways, I just looked up the Chinese names for Gen 5.
    Wow, a lot of names made me crap my pants, man!
    They really suck!

Because of this, I'll watch the English anime of PKMN instead.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Call me crazy, but "Vulture Princess" and "Vulture Queen" actually sound pretty cool. I think they're overreacting with that one. Plus "Chandelier Carnival"... well, it does sorta look like a carousel... if you squint... really hard...

Oh, and to whoever mentioned Shinx and Luxray as lions- um, they kinda are. Shinx especially. Go look up "Kimba the White Lion." Now imagine Shinx colored white. ...yeah.

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
  • I was very sad when Kibago was translated to Axew, but Tooth-Tooth just makes me laugh XD

Back