• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Pokémon Trading Card Game Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I have a magazine that has a large section that lists the value of all TCG cards (ending with Power Keepers- it's an old magazine haha) and the prices were always lower than what people were selling them for on eBay. Although I was a little skeptical of the magazine's accuracy...

Buy It Now is certainly the way to go. Auctions are definitely hectic and it's hard to win one without paying an obnoxious amount of money or being really lucky.

Well, the magazine's prices went by what participating shops across the country were able to sell singles of a particular card for over a certain period, and the prices certainly didn't reflect all markets. They also were never current, either.

Years
  • It'll never happen, but the TCG could really do with 1 or 2 EX counters for every type, especially since EX cards are becoming even more prevalent with Mega Evolutions having been introduced into the TCG.

Yeah, I think to have the game just a little better balanced, you need both an offensive and defensive colourless counter, and then one each for the other types, evenly distributed between offensive and defensive. That way you can build a deck with any combination of types and be guaranteed to find at least one offensive and one defensive counter that you can use. But at least they do have EXs being worth 2 prizes, which definitely helps a lot (also it's oh-so-amusing to see people suddenly spending all their resources to protect their EXs when I have two prizes left), and they have Bouffalant available in Rallying Cry so everyone's guaranteed one free counter. But I have to say, having been over at tcgone playing with classic cards, even with EXs, the game is still way more balanced now than it was.

Right now, in TCGO, because I have cards that work well together and I have a decent understanding of strategy, even when I'm totally out-powered, I can still put up a good fight.

With the classic cards? It's completely about who has the better cards. I mean, my deck right now is not that great because I don't have the trainers I need to properly support my pokemon, but even still, there are SO many pokemon with low HP and relatively high attack that can OHKO each other that it's difficult to come from behind. If you weren't able to set up off the bat, or your opponent manages to draw a high HP/high attack pokemon and you don't have one of your own… you're basically done.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    There are times when you can just draw nothing and your opponent draws well and there is no way you are going to win. But many of the players online now tend to just drop out as soon as things go south for them. Which is too bad. You often learn better from defeats than victories. Thus the more you lose the better you will become, assuming you understand why you lost.

Either way in terms of balance. There is a little bit of a flaw. But its not a completely broken by any means. I always use my beedrill deck as a talking point, just because i love it so. But, that deck itself could easily be really good if not for Virizion Ex/Slurpuff. The existence of the ability to negate special effects hurts a lot of rogue decks potential. But the fact that hypnotoxic laser also exist it sort of a good/bad thing.

It both helps rogue decks with a little extra damage. While it helps really strong Exs to be even stronger.

Years
  • I hate drop outs, it's so annoying :/ there are times that I know I'm going to get my rear handed to me and I just can't be bothered to put up much of a fight because I know that there's no way I'll be able to get any of my pokemon set up fast enough to use them, but I'll still stick it out to the end and let the other person win rather than dropping out. It's just polite, and it gives me a chance to observe the other player's strategies and see if there's anything I could use or any cards I haven't seen before that would be a good addition to my deck if I can get my hands on them.

Years
  • I hate drop outs, it's so annoying :/ there are times that I know I'm going to get my rear handed to me and I just can't be bothered to put up much of a fight because I know that there's no way I'll be able to get any of my pokemon set up fast enough to use them, but I'll still stick it out to the end and let the other person win rather than dropping out. It's just polite, and it gives me a chance to observe the other player's strategies and see if there's anything I could use or any cards I haven't seen before that would be a good addition to my deck if I can get my hands on them.

Unfortunately, people will drop out in any competitive gaming to avoid the loss on their "perfect" record. It's a problem endemic to gaming, which is teeming with many sore losers who ruin the experience of those in it for the fun.

Years
  • Unfortunately, people will drop out in any competitive gaming to avoid the loss on their "perfect" record. It's a problem endemic to gaming, which is teeming with many sore losers who ruin the experience of those in it for the fun.

The TCGO doesn't keep a record of wins/losses though, so you'd think it would be less of a problem. But of course, when you have the anonymity of the internet to hide behind, nobody cares about playing for fun, only playing to win. Makes me really wish I could play live games somewhere, just because people are better sports face-to-face. But the closest league is an hour away :/

Although actually, the last couple of weeks I've only had one drop out, and I'm pretty sure it was unintentional because they were winning lol

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • The TCGO doesn't keep a record of wins/losses though, so you'd think it would be less of a problem. But of course, when you have the anonymity of the internet to hide behind, nobody cares about playing for fun, only playing to win. Makes me really wish I could play live games somewhere, just because people are better sports face-to-face. But the closest league is an hour away :/

Although actually, the last couple of weeks I've only had one drop out, and I'm pretty sure it was unintentional because they were winning lol

It does keep a record deckwise (and playerwise too which is not visible to us, but is used in matchmaking for determining advantage and stuf) in the Deck Manager!! And at least your country has a league!! They stopped selling boosters back here in 06. And then the game pretty much faded out of existence except for the gameboy games!!!

Years
  • It does keep a record deckwise (and playerwise too which is not visible to us, but is used in matchmaking for determining advantage and stuf) in the Deck Manager!! And at least your country has a league!! They stopped selling boosters back here in 06. And then the game pretty much faded out of existence except for the gameboy games!!!

Out of curiosity, which country? If it's an English-speaking country, it's extremely likely there's at least one league, with the exception of small Caribbean and South Pacific islands.

The TCGO doesn't keep a record of wins/losses though, so you'd think it would be less of a problem. But of course, when you have the anonymity of the internet to hide behind, nobody cares about playing for fun, only playing to win. Makes me really wish I could play live games somewhere, just because people are better sports face-to-face. But the closest league is an hour away :/

I know the predicament. My closest league is 45 minutes away by car... and is on Saturday mornings before I've even crawled out of bed.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    Unfortunately, people will drop out in any competitive gaming to avoid the loss on their "perfect" record. It's a problem endemic to gaming, which is teeming with many sore losers who ruin the experience of those in it for the fun.

honestly i would rather lose and be proud of it (for the way of learning new tactics) then backing out and being a coward because im too afraid to lose. plus even if you do get beat you still get a coin on the ptcgo XD

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • Well, out of sheer curiosity, how many cards do everyone here has in PTCGO and real life?? In real life i have got about 900 cards till the Expedition set. In PTCGO, i have 1200 cards, counting the 10 free decks, login bonuses, Trainer Challenge and tournament prizes.

Years
  • Well, out of sheer curiosity, how many cards do everyone here has in PTCGO and real life?? In real life i have got about 900 cards till the Expedition set. In PTCGO, i have 1200 cards, counting the 10 free decks, login bonuses, Trainer Challenge and tournament prizes.

I've got maybe 150 in the TCGO, but I think I've got over 5000 of the physical cards, though that was an estimate from probably a year or two ago, so I really have no idea as I've not been keeping count.

Years

In real life, I have maybe 150 cards, most of them from the earliest sets (base, rocket, jungle, etc.), then there was a long time when I lost interest in them, and then there was no where to buy them in my area until a couple years ago. Now I've got a theme deck and two boosters from the Plasma Blast set. I can't really afford to spend money on cards right now though, so mostly I just go the slow route and buy cards with trainer tokens on the TCGO. I think I've got about 360 right now.

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • Are you guys sure you got only such a small number online?? Even to the newer players, the game gives 5 free decks (=300) cards and logging in and playing one match for 5 days gets you ten cards plus more than enough money to buy a 5-card booster. Thats how i got so many cards actually. I got really busy with college so i coded up a simple program that would log me in whenever i would run it and gave it to my mom who ran it on my PC (As i wasnt allowed a laptop in my first year in the hostels and didnt want to tell her my password).

Years
  • Are you guys sure you got only such a small number online?? Even to the newer players, the game gives 5 free decks (=300) cards and logging in and playing one match for 5 days gets you ten cards plus more than enough money to buy a 5-card booster. Thats how i got so many cards actually. I got really busy with college so i coded up a simple program that would log me in whenever i would run it and gave it to my mom who ran it on my PC (As i wasnt allowed a laptop in my first year in the hostels and didnt want to tell her my password).

Haha, yeah, I hadn't checked in a couple weeks and was just going off memory. I checked today.

I have 490 unique cards (that's probably where I was getting the 360 number from), and 1300 total cards in the TCGO.

And I just did a count on my physical cards, I've got 385. Way off on that estimate too, lol.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It'll be eons before I have an accurate count of the cards themselves, haha.

My TCGO collection is probably about 500. I've redeemed some codes, but not a lot. I'm a bit too preoccupied with other things right now to bother signing in just to check.

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    www(dot)ebay(dot)co.uk/itm/181439113949 is this the right price to be selling this card? My friend sold his for £12 just the other night - so I thought I may have underpriced it... please help

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    www(dot)ebay(dot)co.uk/itm/181439113949 is this the right price to be selling this card? My friend sold his for £12 just the other night - so I thought I may have underpriced it... please help

well i dont know how much a dollar is in euros or whatever that currency is (i suspect euros becuase its ebay UK) but in america, that card goes for around 6.29 on ebay. whatever that is in euros is what your price should be. and its a freakin promo level X! i even have that same card and i cherish that thing to death. its a level X promo i would bump up the price about a dollar and 50 cents (still whatever that is euros lol). but if you feel like thats too high then feel free the lower the price like a dollar and 50 cents.

(and i dont think this is the place to be posting that either. so if you want to get other peoples opinions, go to this link http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=274173 that should take you to the how much is my card worth thread. it helped me there quite a bit. hopefully that sends you to the right place

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back