• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gens 2-6 Further Down The Line?

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
  • Will every Pokémon eventually be released for this game? I can see myself getting bored with just gen 1 Pokémon before too long. I understand the reasons why it's just gen 1 at the moment, but I would love to be able to catch every Pokémon eventually. Imagine looking out your window one morning and there's a Tyrantrum or a Steelix looking back at you! I hope we don't have to wait too long for the rest of them!

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Right now I'm just enjoying the nostalgia factor that comes with only having the first 151, as was probably Niantic's intention.

I'm certain I read somewhere that they plan on releasing newer generations later, but I have no ideas as to when. Again, they're probably still trying to get their current server strain under control before they roll out new updates. I'm just hoping for trading sooner rather than later.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'm a bit cautious of them ever releasing the extra generations honestly. It's already pretty tough to evolve something like a Staryu or a Shellder without having 500+ extra Pokémon to be diluting the search pool even more. Unless there's some way to switch between which national Pokédex you're using then it'll either be too hard to find what you want with how much there'll be around all the time, or they'll have to restrict which regional Pokémon can be found in which areas at which point it just gets very annoying to try and play the game in the way you'd like. It'd be really nice to be able to catch the later generation Pokémon for sure, but hard to say if it'd be a good idea.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Part of me wants to say yes but then the other part of me says that'd be too much. Limiting it to Gen. 1 is fine for now, and who's to say they roll out another Gen every year or so? :)

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    They had already confirmed that all Pokemon will eventually be available if they can manage it. They started with the first generation to ease everybody into the game, then will slowly roll out more generations and features to keep interest as time goes on. Trading is one of the features confirmed for later release.

Pokemon GO is also clearly in open beta at the moment. They weren't going to give us very much to start with.

Chuck Palahniuk

ten question marks
    Years
  • I honestly don't see more than maybe the first three gens. After that many, which is still about 450 Pokemon, I feel like it would just get overwhelming. The good thing about only having 151 right now is that nothing is TOO rare (except maybe the legendaries, which are nearly impossible to catch on purpose). The coding would get complicated and the app would start taking up too much space. And it's not like they can just selectively place Pokemon from later gens in the game, either. If they did that, how would they decide which ones to choose? It would just be a circus if they did later gens, honestly. There's a lot of charm with the fact that Pokemon GO only has the first gen.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • The only theory I have that supports them including future generations lie in the Gen. I Pokémon that are capable of evolving in later generations.

These Pokémon tend to have very low CP ceilings in comparison to other Gen. I "final stages."

Examples include comparing Tentacruel and Seadra. Both Pokémon are technically in their final stages for Gen. I, but Seadra is capable of further evolving in Gen. II to Kingdra. As a result—at least for me, personally—Tentacruel caps out around CP1350 whereas Seadra caps out around CP1000.

Onix caps out around a measly CP500, and if the second stage achieves a 2.5x CP multiplier, much like it is for Tentacool evolving into Tentacruel, that would make a Steelix cap out in the CP1200-1300 range.

Chansey is even worse, with CP capping around 400. Hopefully there's a higher CP multiplier involved with Blissey.

A couple questionable ones are Lickitung and Porygon. Based on the ones I have, they both seem like they'll cap around CP1000, which is relatively high for a basic stage Pokémon. Second stage Pokémon like Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Wartortle cap out around the same, but they take 100 candies to evolve to their final forms. If Porygon can eventually reach Porygon-Z, I can't imagine what the cap would be. It could take the opposite treatment as the basic bugs like Beedrill/Butterfree, where they scale horrifically early on. Porygon could potentially scale horribly as well, but start off with a much higher CP cap.

All speculation, of course. It'll be interesting to see. I would like it if they could eventually introduce following generations one by one to hold players' attention. Right now they're playing the nostalgia card hard with older folks like me who grew up starting with RBY in the late '90s. This leaves out the market for younger people who may have started with Gen. IV, V, etc. Should they update the game with newer generation Pokémon, they would have gotten their share of attention from the older folks already, but play into the younger crowd and pull them in if they weren't already.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Considering the issues the game currently faces, I doubt they'll get around to adding other gens. And if they do, it probably won't be for years down the line, long after the appeal of the app has worn out. And by then, why bother? Most of the people playing the app right now are the ones who played the first gen games and stopped, so adding gen 2+ Pok?mon will likely just make them upset. As such, I doubt Niantic will care enough about the long-term fans who'd like to see every Pok?mon added.

Years
  • I don't see them releasing past generation 2. Especially with these server issues they still need to resolve.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I seem to remember reading an interview of sorts with one of the developers in either Niantic or one of the other developers saying the plan was to release Gen 2 and allow for trading, sometime in December of this year and Trading could possibly be even sooner that.

Now of course this could be false and if I can find that interview i'll post it on this comment.

To me that seems about right though as by that time, interest will begin to wane a bit with only the the true lovers of Pokemon probably staying as well as some converts and that would boost some extra life back into game, especially with trading.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    A LOT of people will be buying Sun and Moon because of GO, so they'll be familiar with these brand new Pok?mon rather than Johto ones which have lost relevancy. Let's wait and see.

Will they, though? I can't imagine Go would drive the gen 1-only fans to pay $40 for a game that's on a system they may not have, that includes not only all-new Pok?mon, but Pok?mon from what seems to be every other previous gen so far (essentially bumping up their relevancy, at least for those players?). If anything, I'd say the opposite may occur, with Niantic adding gen 7 Pok?mon to celebrate the release of SM, and then Go players may feel compelled to get SM. But even then, will Go be stable enough to add new Pok?mon at that point?

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
  • I think they're more likely to release Sun and Moon Pokémon to promote the new games. A LOT of people will be buying Sun and Moon because of GO, so they'll be familiar with these brand new Pokémon rather than Johto ones which have lost relevancy. Let's wait and see.

How dare you trash talk Johto I am disappointed in todays Pokémon fans saying the Johto generation Pokémon have lost relevancy I have never played any Pokémon that has given me the satisfaction as the games of the Johto. And saying they lost relevancy is like saying that the Gen 1 Pokémon don't even matter. All the Pokémon from every Gen matter from the humble beginings to today people are using Charizards, Steelix, Pikachu, Totadile, Gyardos, and many more Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon. If you really think that the Gen 2 Pokémon or any Gen Pokemon infact have lost relevancy then get off these Forums and leave room for us real Pokémon Fans to enjoy without people like you corrupting the forums.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
  • Okay what? I'm hoping you're not serious because it's not nice at all to tell people to get off the forums just because they have a different opinion from you. This is a forum, a place where people go to share opinions so you're gonna have to get used to that.

I'll start by saying that Johto is my favourite region of all time and also has my favourite batch of Pokémon. I absolutely love Gold and HeartGold and have played both more times I can count. But that doesn't apply to everyone. Sadly, a lot of fans tuned out when the craze of the first generation died out. The series was still incredibly popular, but there's no denying that Kanto Pokémon are more familiar to people on a larger scale than Johto Pokémon. Right now the Kanto Pokémon are relevant once more, and Johto Pokémon definitely won't be able to follow that up and continue the craze in the way Kanto Pokémon have. It doesn't mean they're bad, it just means the general public don't know them as well as they do the Kanto Pokémon.

Also there's literally no such thing as a "real" Pokémon fan. There's nothing that verifies you to be a true fan or whatever. We're all fans, regardless of what games we play. Again, I've played every single game and even moderate the Pokémon gaming section here so... surely that's an indicator of me enjoying a lot of Pokémon. :V

Ok I get it people have different opinions and all that stuff and I'm not saying that opinions don't matter but the truth is that all the Gens still show relevance even if no one cares about a Gen in reality no matter how any one thinks of the region or the Gen it would forever show Relevance in Pokémon.

Take Loot for an example he's only looking forward for the Gens 1-4 but even if everyone Pokémon fan in the world was like him the other Gens would still be relevant

Back