• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Girl suspended over a fake account committing suicide

Years
    I really think that the girl was doing a great job by putting out the awareness of bullying. Although creating a Facebook page was pushing it, IMO. Facebook pages are public at first. At least her teacher knew that the page and video were part of a project, however, I really do think that the school district went a little too far with this as well.

Also, the student could have backed up her claim of this being a project as well, but according to the story, she didn't. Moral of the story is: if you're doing a project like that on an extreme subject, don't push the limits of going to Facebook and talking about it. The video is plenty for her project.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    If someone commits suicide because of bullying, that individual is a weakling, and a loser.

I don't know if you realize this, but you just disparaged people with mental illnesses. And to be sure, a good number of people who commit suicide suffer from a mental illness, namely depression. This is a very real medical condition, and to call people who kill themselves who suffer from depression losers and weaklings, tells me that you have very little understanding of what it means to suffer from this debilitating illness. This is why there is such a stigma surrounding mental illnesses, because people choose to ridicule these sufferers, calling them weaklings and losers.

I would seriously recommend that you sit in a room full of family and friends of people who have killed themselves and listen to their stories. Maybe then you'd discover the reality of their lives. Maybe then you'd feel a bit of empathy for them. And just maybe you'd stop insulting them.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    I don't know if you realize this, but you just disparaged people with mental illnesses.
    I suffer from mental illness as well.
    And to be sure, a good number of people who commit suicide suffer from a mental illness, namely depression.
    And they commit suicide because? Did you read my entire post or one line of it?
    You're blaming depression, which is just one factor.
    This is a very real medical condition,
    Thanks for the heads up, doc.
    and to call people who kill themselves who suffer from depression losers and weaklings, tells me that you have very little understanding of what it means to suffer from this debilitating illness.
    I have very little understanding of what it means to suffer from this debilitating illness.
    This is why there is such a stigma surrounding mental illnesses, because people choose to ridicule these sufferers, calling them weaklings and losers.
    I don't know what stigma you're talking about.

And what I said is an undeniable fact. Can you deny the fact they're weaklings? No. One day, if it was not bullying, they will have to deal with something that will make them sad, or even depressed. That is undeniable as well. So what they will do? Point at their head and pull the trigger? They need to deal with those situations. Pulling the trigger, at a gun aimed at yourself doesn't really solve the problem.
    But I never said they must be weaklings for their whole life. All they need is some support.

I would seriously recommend that you sit in a room full of family and friends of people who have killed themselves and listen to their stories. Maybe then you'd discover the reality of their lives. Maybe then you'd feel a bit of empathy for them. And just maybe you'd stop insulting them.
    Nobody insulted them.
    And thanks for the recommendation. I would recommend that you listen to people with Dissociative Identity Disorder. Those are interesting stories. Maybe you'd have some empathy for them, because I rarely hear anything about people who suffer from it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I suffer from mental illness as well.

And yet you insult others who also may suffer from a mental illness. <shakes head>

And they commit suicide because? Did you read my entire post or one line of it? You're blaming depression, which is just one factor.

Thank you for corroborating what I already stated.

Thanks for the heads up, doc.

Condescend much?

I don't know what stigma you're talking about.

Really? I'm surprised.

And what I said is an undeniable fact. Can you deny the fact they're weaklings?

Yes I can, because to call someone a weakling is a derogatory statement. I prefer to refrain from using such language as it does little to address an issue. It only complicates it. Do you call weak the individual who does whatever is necessary to relieve themselves of cold symptoms for instance? Or how about allergies? Or what if the individual was suffering from a debilitating illness which is rapidly robbing them of their dignity and slowly depriving them of their life? Are they weak also for wanting to end their suffering by ending their lives?

But I never said they must be weaklings for their whole life. All they need is some support.

And therein lies the crux of it. Support systems these days are sorely lacking, whether that's due to insufficient funding for organizations that help those who think ending their lives is the only course of action, or because of an ignorance of a problem existing by friends and family.

Nobody insulted them.

I beg to differ, as I pointed out to you already.

And thanks for the recommendation. I would recommend that you listen to people with Dissociative Identity Disorder. Those are interesting stories. Maybe you'd have some empathy for them, because I rarely hear anything about people who suffer from it.

You rarely hear anything about people who suffer from any mental illness, unless someone dies or commits a horrible crime. That's because of the stigma that surrounds mental illnesses in general. And I have spoken with people who suffer from the disorder you speak of, among several others. One cannot have a mother who works with people who suffer from many physical and mental impairments and not.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    The school shouldn't punish her for an act that was not even committed on school grounds. I'm surprised no one pointed that out yet. I don't think what this girl did really hurt anyone, and hopefully people will be more aware of things like this. Anyway, that's all I'm going to say. I'm quite offended and saddened by most of these replies, and it's a waste of my time to sit here and butt heads.

Years
    Gauging from how the responses in this thread have been I think it's fair to say that there needs to be more talk about bullying AND suicide. We've obviously not come to a consensus on how (or even if, according to some) we can help being who are being bullied and have suicidal thoughts. That alone makes what this girl did a good thing. She brought this topic up in a way that started new avenues of discussion, such as outsiders' role in reporting suicidal thoughts. Probably wasn't the exact intention she had, but it's a good result.

I am curious though. What would you do if you saw "I want to die" on someone's facebook page? What do you think someone should do?

droomph

weeb
    Years
    I am curious though. What would you do if you saw "I want to die" on someone's facebook page? What do you think someone should do?
    The teacher said to pull the alarm no matter what as this is them trying to subtly tell you about all they're going through.

But in reality I probably wouldn't want to deal with the police ever again, but I probably would let someone know.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Haven't watched the video yet, but just from reading the story I can see why she was suspended.

From the story, the facebook page/video seems to be 'life sucks, then you die.' (Although, in this case, its more of 'Life sucks, go kill yourself.") Fake or not, this message doesn't prevent suicide. At all. If anything, this message would just cause more suicides to happen.

She had good intentions yeah, but guess what the road to hell is paved with? Yep. Good intentions.

Years
    Simple: this girl is wise beyond her years. The fact that she had the ability to see what children do to other children these days at such a young age goes to show that she will do big things with her life. The gravity of the situation is a bit harsh, but that's the reality of it. When it actually does happen people go about it by feeling sorry for them and even themselves, missing the message completely. I have never had a thought of suicide in my life, so for one to commit such an act would have to feel complete and utter hopelessness. This girl should be awarded for her work. She is simply trying to reach out to her fellow peers and share what she sees, to help them be better to each other. It is a touchy situation, one many schools don't have to run into. Regardless of suspension or not, this girl has an amazing mind and shouldn't let this get her down!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Yes I can, because to call someone a weakling is a derogatory statement. I prefer to refrain from using such language as it does little to address an issue. It only complicates it. Do you call weak the individual who does whatever is necessary to relieve themselves of cold symptoms for instance? Or how about allergies? Or what if the individual was suffering from a debilitating illness which is rapidly robbing them of their dignity and slowly depriving them of their life? Are they weak also for wanting to end their suffering by ending their lives?
    Oh, goodie. You took one point and then blew it out of proportions.
    My answer to all your questions is "common sense".
    And therein lies the crux of it. Support systems these days are sorely lacking, whether that's due to insufficient funding for organizations that help those who think ending their lives is the only course of action, or because of an ignorance of a problem existing by friends and family.
    Never heard of a support system.

Ignorance is a sin when it comes to parenting. Simply listen to introverted stories; they're not horrific, but all the stories will be about the same idiocy. It usually starts there. You can find another example here: https://life.familyeducation.com/emotional-development/self-esteem/41426.html
    It's the same motive with the introverted stories. It starts there, and unless something is done (unlikely) things will downspiral. The only thing that matters is how mentally strong the child is.
    Simple: this girl is wise beyond her years. The fact that she had the ability to see what children do to other children these days at such a young age goes to show that she will do big things with her life. The gravity of the situation is a bit harsh, but that's the reality of it. When it actually does happen people go about it by feeling sorry for them and even themselves, missing the message completely. I have never had a thought of suicide in my life, so for one to commit such an act would have to feel complete and utter hopelessness. This girl should be awarded for her work. She is simply trying to reach out to her fellow peers and share what she sees, to help them be better to each other. It is a touchy situation, one many schools don't have to run into. Regardless of suspension or not, this girl has an amazing mind and shouldn't let this get her down!
    She hasn't done anything spectacular. In fact it would have been better if she didn't do suicide. Everyone heard that story before, had their tears and moved on, for one reason or another.
    The situation probably wouldn't change.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Absolutely outrageous!

A student doesn't shed her First Amendment rights when she goes to school. Her speech was about a prominent issue of concern today that is being discussed in the news media, and in today's politics. Her speech should be protected.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    Heh, this is why parents shouldn't be allowed on facebook :3. At least ones who don't know how to scroll down and read :I.

But I think this will die out and just be replaced by another anti-bullying story, it's a big issue at the moment and one story always replaces another.

She shouldn't have been suspended though, that's just the school being over sensitive.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I think that maybe she was being a bit over the top with some parts in the video. The whole thing with her mum and dad was unnecessary and over-the-top and just trying to rally sympathy from what I make of it, because that's got nothing to do with the whole bullying thing and won't apply to the majority of victims of bullying.

But... that's my only problem with what she did. I don't see any reasoning here at all behind why she was suspended. I mean yeah I get that there are issues with making fake identities online but in the end she was trying to do something which most kids just wouldn't be willing to do, either because they're victims of bullying themselves or they don't care enough. A suspension isn't that big a deal still, but it's the principle that matters. Although it's absolutely a controversial issue to create a fake online identity and opens up all sorts of issues with online safety, it was all done for the best, especially given that she apparently said at every point that her online identity is fake.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think that maybe she was being a bit over the top with some parts in the video. The whole thing with her mum and dad was unnecessary and over-the-top and just trying to rally sympathy from what I make of it, because that's got nothing to do with the whole bullying thing and won't apply to the majority of victims of bullying.

But... that's my only problem with what she did. I don't see any reasoning here at all behind why she was suspended. I mean yeah I get that there are issues with making fake identities online but in the end she was trying to do something which most kids just wouldn't be willing to do, either because they're victims of bullying themselves or they don't care enough. A suspension isn't that big a deal still, but it's the principle that matters. Although it's absolutely a controversial issue to create a fake online identity and opens up all sorts of issues with online safety, it was all done for the best, especially given that she apparently said at every point that her online identity is fake.

For an honor student who's looking to go to a high-ranking college, a suspension could be the difference between acceptance and rejection to the school of their dreams tbh.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    ...they keep track of all that kinda stuff in the States? Damn. Well, in that case, I hope the Uni would make more sense of it than the school would.

Back