• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] Glitch in my Emerald hack that dislocates camera and the player character

Indigo_Thief

Silver Candidate
    Years
    So, yeah I'm new to the ROM hacking stuff. Wanted to get into it and work away at a few ideas I had for Emerald to learn along the way.
    After a few days I encountered a glitch that puts the player character under the map (?) and blocks certain tiles from being walked on, if you can even call it walking. It can be reversed by entering a loading zone, though those aren't always accessible.
    It also happened to me on my reworked version of Route 116 when encountering a wild Pokémon on certain patches of grass. The Route 116 problem could be fixed by removing and readding the "corrupted" patches of grass.
    The one in Dewford Gym, however occurs when entering any type of menu (Pokémon list, bag, Pokédex, options).

My guess is that I unknowingly corrupted some data when reworking moves (Icicle Spear into Ice Shard etc.), but I'm not sure.
    Has anyone encountered this type of glitch? I had difficulties finding solutions so I thought it was time to make an account here.
    Thanks for any input on this :)

Attachments

• Emerald Glitch.mp4
      12.7 MB
    Years
    • Seen today
    @Indigo_Thief

You probably use the default list of movement types for person events that comes with AdvanceMap 1.92. In that list the second ''look down'' movement type is bugged. If you use that movement type on any NPC within range of the protagonist, this could happen if you return to the overworld.

So make sure to always use the first ''look down'' movement type in the list (or no movement).

If that doesn't help, no idea.

Indigo_Thief

Silver Candidate
    Years
    @kalarie

Thank you! That did it!

I thought I messed something up and was prepared to revert to a backup, but I'm glad it was only something minor like this.
    Thanks again and I hope you have a nice day.

Back