• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gone Fishin'

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Well as you have probably realised Pokemon Black and White only include the Super Rod, leaving out the Old and Good Rods that are in all the other games. You probably also know that you can only start fishing after you have beaten N for the last town. They could have made it that you could find Pokemon like Alomomola by fishing instead of surfing spots. So my question is:

Do you miss having all 3 fishing rods in Pokemon Black and White and would've you preferred to have gotten all 3 except of just the Super Rod?

Gone Fishin'
    Gone Fishin'
    Gone Fishin'

I was disappointed when I found out that only the Super Rod appeared in the game. I always enjoyed fishing in previous games. I miss having all 3 and wished they would have included them. I think it was just an excuse of Game Freak's to not include more water type Pokemon because they wouldn't have to worry about fishing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I honestly don't mind. I remember when I first got the fishing rod, I didn't care at all. In fact, I think I only used it once for my "challenge". XD

It'd be better on if it were available to be used earlier on for everyone else, though. Maybe skip the old rod and go for just good + super rod. But oh well, we can't change what's happened :(

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I'm really not bothered at all, in all honesty. I never really fished very much and back when I did, it was only ever with the Super Rod anyway.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    They should have just had a "Fishing Rod" instead of "Super Rod". Oh well. The only thing that really bugged me was that you don't get the Super Rod until you've completed the game the first time. Why not while you're on your adventure? It's not like there was a lack of water. Would have been really nice to have a quarter of the way through the game... lol

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Why go fishing when there is nothing new to fish for?
    Dream World's fishies will be better.
    Basculin found from surfing, sure. Found at higher levels on fishing is nice.

Shame I had to get Super from Looker.

Years
    Oh, I was wondering where the other two rods were...

I don't mind it at all, the Super Rod is better anyway :3

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    Do you miss having all 3 fishing rods in Pokemon Black and White and would've you preferred to have gotten all 3 except of just the Super Rod?

Very much so. I always loved my old and good rods. Woot, Magikarp! It's also really annoying that you can't get it until you beat the game. At least in past games you could get the old and good rod during the main story and then get the super rod when you beat the game/unlocked the national pokedex.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    I don't miss the crappy rods, but I would have liked to get a rod before beating the game.

Why go fishing when there is nothing new to fish for?
    Dream World's fishies will be better.
    Basculin found from surfing, sure. Found at higher levels on fishing is nice.

Shame I had to get Super from Looker.
    You need a rod for Feebas and Milotic :). Maybe some others too...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't miss the crappy rods, but I would have liked to get a rod before beating the game.

You need a rod for Feebas and Milotic :). Maybe some others too...

You can fish for Dragonite. :x

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Having the Super Rod as the only rod in the game is a godsend to me because if it was in there, I would have fished up Magikarp.

Years
    I don't really miss the other rods, I havent even used my rod yet... I thought the way it was given to you was pretty hilarious though!

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years

I miss them soooo much, because I want mai milotic. :<

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I didn't really mind their absence much. I mean, I hardly used any of them once I got the Super Rod in all the other games anyway so it didn't really change much. I also didn't really use any before I got the Super Rod, either... :(

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I didn't mind liked it actually because other than Alomomola there wasn't much to fish for anyway tbh. And I never use Good/Old rods, I don't want to be fishing up Magikarps XD Just a Super Rod is more convenient and I totally see why it is only available after the E4.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I was kind of expecting only one rod, I mean, without Magikarps, what would be the use for the Old Rod? well exept for the odd 5% chance of getting a Poliwag or Goldeen in HG/SS

I didn't really mind the lack of rods, I haven't really fished really, to be honest, I only fished trying to get a Milotic, but gave up.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Even though it was pretty much useless, I always loved the Old Rod.

It obviously isn't needed in Black/White but I will miss the nostalgia of it.

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    I didn't miss the rods at all, because the old rod only gave magikarp (basculin the equivalent), and the good rod only gave a slightly more decent fish, and magikarp. The super rod was the only rod that was ever worth using throughout the game, which is why I never got the other rods in the more recent games anyway. If their were more varied fish to be had I probably would care about the different rods, but they basically do the same thing, the super rod just does it better.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I kind of mind, because it seems that it's just easier now. The Old Rod let you obtain Magikarp, and later obtain Gyrados after training, but I guess they don't want you to obtain it anymore because they want you to get into the idea of newer Pokémon. They could have just replaced it with another Pokémon, but it wouldn't make much sense, I guess. Still, I don't really like this. I'd much rather have levels of fishing rod so I can obtain weaker Pokémon and train them, but the Super Rod does get more powerful Pokémon, so I don't mind as much.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    I preferred the Old Rod, because it allowed you to get a potentially powerful Pokemon early on in the game. I never saw any use for the Good Rod, and the Super Rod gets redundant to use after a while.

On that note, I caught a level 66 Basculin while fishing this morning, lol.

Back