• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gone too far?

Which series did you like best?

• Yu-Gi-Oh!

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Gx

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! 5ds

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    I liked Yu-Gi-Oh before they released Gladiator Beasts, Lightsworn and Blackwings. Sure we have diversity because of all the new archetypes but I don't like how much speed of the metagame has increased. 5Ds is alright as a TV show but I think Synchros could have been more specific. And Xyzs? wtf...that's a stupid name. I just think it's odd how say, a Junk Synchron and a Gilasaurus can combine to make an entirely unrelated monster.

I personally think they need a limit on Special Summoning because people just go out of control and older decks can't keep up (stuff like Amazoness, Harpie Lady, Ninjas and Clowns). I know that defeats the object of Special Summoning but I think 2 Special Summons in addition do the Normal Summon/Set per turn seems fair. I know their slowly bring out more support for some of the older archetypes but I preferred The Six Samurai when they were simply 'The Six Samurai'. Now they've just become so overpowered, thus I have refused to update my Six Samurai deck.
    I think I might quit Yu-Gi-Oh. Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, Dark Armed Dragon and Judgment Dragon really ^%$ me off. There was a character tournamnet to celebrate 6 years of my local, it was a special occasion and a couple of people hadn't changed their decks one bit. Most people came with really interesting decks but a couple of people came with the same deck they always use - Blackwings. They won the tournament and worst thing is they win all the prizes but never change their deck. So they get all these nice cards but never put them to good use. There are lots of little kids who would give anything for some decent cards and these really competitive people always come with the same decks and leave their prizes to gather dust.

Last edited:

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    ... ._.;

I think you're just not familiar with the competitive scene. Sure we've graduated to speedy decks, but full-out control and / or combo was WAY more brutal in previous formats. Remember Yata-lock? Remember Troop Doop Scoop? Remember Tsukuyomi / Magician of Faith / Book of Moon? Remember (God forbid) Goat Control? No, no you don't. : S Those are just a few examples of extremely powerful and broken decks that used to exist. Don't even get me started on things like Fiber Jar, Metamorphosis, or Cyber-Stein.

I've actually studied the metagames of days past a bit, and they were in some ways way more brutal than the metagame of today. Granted they could not do somethings as well - general card quality has went up because of power creep, after all - but stupidly broken card combos flew around all day every day. Even the metagame two years ago was faster than the metagame today; our current meta is actually remarkably balanced and diverse, with quite a lot of space for rogue decks to develop.

I get how you like to play casually, and don't get me wrong - I like to play casually too (I loved Mira the Eternal Magician when I first saw it, and I really like "cute" archetypes / cards, even and sometimes especially if they are janky). I create some pretty bad (but fun) decks simply because I like the cards. I was obsessed with playing a Wynn the Wind Charmer-focused deck for a time. But I think an understanding of exactly how the game works is needed if you want to comment on what cards are and are not overpowered.

Harpies are not terrible. I used to play them a few months ago. -_- Ninjas are just bad because their archetype as a whole is undersupported and lacks synergy. Amazoness got a ton of new support, so IDK. Clowns suffer from the same problem as Ninjas (no synergy, terrible card quality).

Right now Blackwings are actually a skill-based deck right now and ... not exactly tier 1 material but they are okay. Lightsworns are tier 2 (pureSworns - Lightsworn hybrids still top with some regularity, but they are definitely not tier 1). Gladiator Beasts are powerful at the moment (or relatively so compared to the other two).

tl;dr Before you cry OP look at the cards of the past. Are old cards really not OP? : \

Last edited:
    Years
    ... ._.;

I think you're just not familiar with the competitive scene. Sure we've graduated to speedy decks, but full-out control and / or combo was WAY more brutal in previous formats. Remember Yata-lock? Remember Troop Doop Scoop? Remember Tsukuyomi / Magician of Faith / Book of Moon? Remember (God forbid) Goat Control? No, no you don't. : S Those are just a few examples of extremely powerful and broken decks that used to exist. Don't even get me started on things like Fiber Jar, Metamorphosis, or Cyber-Stein.
    Well that's why they ontroduced the ban list, to try and stop the out of control combos. We had a ban list before Lightsworn and Gladiator Beasts, although it's probably just me, because when I go to my local tournament there are usually around 15 people and at least 3-4 of them will always be using Blackwings (although there is a little diversity because the archetype is so large) and couple will usually use either Lightsworn or Gladiator Beasts (I admire their artwork though). Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon is quite popular too, although compared to other tournaments I've seen I don't think my one is that competitive if you take the Blackwings out of the equation. Forgive me for not understanding tiers, but it's simply a few things people do that annoy me. I like all the new archetypes and diversity (even if I'm not seeing much of it where I go), I have amassed 12 decks over the years some more competitive than others, but there are certain cards that really get on my nerves like how some people keep spamming Judgement Dragon's effect without thinking. The bottom line is people will do whatever it takes to win. People spend 1000s just to keep up but the prizes are normally not worth the amount of money that got spent on that tournament winning deck so I don't see why more people don't play casually, after all it is a game and it's not like one's life depends on it. Sure you get some nice mats, maybe a T-Shirt, although I doubt anyone who wins will use the cards from the booster packs they win (my local doesn't give out Turbo packs or tournament packs) because they would have probably already accquired the cards or they won't be good enough to use in a tournamnet because the reality is a fair amount of people can't see past these so called top tier decks.
    Sometimes I think the ban list is also there to help Konami's shares, but it's a far fetched idea. I really hope Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon makes it to the limited list though. Having said that, why would they hit Blackwings so hard in the last ban list then release deulist pack Crow? Then again, Blackwings have too much support whereas a lot of other archetypes could benefit from new support but Konami knows people will always buy Blackwing cards. I'm surprised Jack Atlas and Joey Wheeler haven't got duelist packs yet but I doubt it will happen as it wouldn't sell as well as Crow's or Yusei's duelist pack...

Last edited:

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    It's because Jounouchi-kun's cards suck and Jack Atlas is clearly OP //shot. But Jounouchi-kun's cards are pretty bad.

People spend money on the game because it is fun. You can make a cheap and competitive deck; they aren't mutually exclusive. ; o Right now prices are a bit ridiculous, though, yes - for a few staple-ish cards (Pot of Greederosity and Kami no Keikoku, I'm looking at you guys : / ).

Judgment Dragon... Is actually easy to play around. If they lucksack you in the face, that's how the deck plays; just keep in mind that they can't do this all the time, and Bottomless Trap Hole kills Judgment Dragon (because of the change to the rules of Priority). Don't get mad at Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon; Disaster Dragon, although fine as a deck, is not very hard to play around - try playing copies of Bottomless Trap Hole and Dimensional Prison.

Years
    You're right and I must admit I should consider remove from play cards more. I should have 4 Dimensional Prison but can only find 2 and their in my Machina deck (which really isn't that good anymore and I should update it).
    The change in priority rules is awesome, because before I couldn't activate my Bottomless Trap hole in response to the summoning of it. I just wish it wasn't so easy to bring out in the first place though. Perhaps once I revamp my Naturia deck I can really annoy people but thanks for the tip and I'm sorry for being such a disgruntled player.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I almost quit playing when Goyo Guardian came out. Seriously. A level 6 with 2800 atk that also lets your opponent take your monsters when they get destroyed. If it was lvl 10, i'd have had no issues with it but for its attack and effect level 6 is just to low.

The first synchro's were good. Both Junk warrior and Colossal Fighter were extremely balanced when compared to some of the later synchro's. Im not commenting about Gaia Knight since he doesn't have a effect.

You know what i'd like to see? Some synchro toon monsters.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Definitely GX. It brought more complicated cards than the original, and it's really when I became interested in playing. Plus, it brought my favorite Trap card, Wall of Revealing Light! Plus, I hated Synchros, they feel really gimmicky and pointless, I've only used one in my years of dueling, and that's Cosmic Fortress Gol'Gar, in my Alien deck, which isn't really that good anyway. It's more of a casual deck, because I think the Aliens are cool.

Back