• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graffiti: Art or Vandalism?

Is graffiti art or vandalism?

• Art

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Vandalism

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It depends

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    If the graffiti is on the property of the person weho made it, than yes, it's fine.

If it's on someone else's, than no, it's vandalism.

It's like trashing someone's house. It's not yours, and you really don't have the right to do it.

Gun Gear Alpha

pink Is awsome
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2010
    In My days going up and down in the bay area and all of california, Ive seen some really good graffiti. From tagged river sides of LA to the walls of buildings of taipei. I consider it a art, but still vandelisim if approval is not meet. All you know, you could walk into a alley and expect crappy art, or a hidden gem of masterpiceces. It depends How we see it, as its a artform.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    A police officer once told me that the difference between art and vandalism is permission. And this came from a former graffiti artist.

Yes, graffiti is a form of art, one that I actually have a ton of respect for. It's a wonderful act of expression if you do it on your own property, but once you violate someone else's property, you're a vandal. It's a pretty clean-cut issue IMO. Stick to your own canvas and you're golden.

The only exception I can think of is if you're trying to make a statement with the placement of your graffiti, kind of like what Banksy does with his work. In that case, I still think it should be illegal... but I won't discourage you from doing it either.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    If it's good, it's art. If it's bad, it's vandalism. Sure, there's probably a technical differentiation for the two but that's how I see it.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    As almost everyone has said, it really can be both art and vandalism it just depends on the place it has been done and who owns the property. If the work has had some thought and effort into it, it's art, no matter if it's a stick-man with a stick sword. If that person thinks it's well done and put effort into it, it's art. Graffiti is no exception. If the graffiti drawn on a building "Kerry ♥ George 2k10" for example, and it not owned by the drawer then that is vandalism. If it's not yours, you have no right whatsoever to place your mark on another's property. But if it's on their own property, I don't see why they cannot decorate their building in graffiti, they own it after all.

Years
    It depends. If a graffiti looks like art, I consider it art. But, profanities written on walls (unfortunately the far more common form of graffiti)? Well, yeah. No.

Back