• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphics - Change Pokeemerald Run Animation

Days
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I'm making a simple sprite replacement mod, switching out May's sprite.

However, my custom sprite is wider than May's sprite is (running to the side is 18 pixels wide)

Below is May's running sprite (144x32, using 16 pixels per sprite), as long as my custom one (168x32, 18 pixels per sprite)

When attempting to compile, Ubuntu gives me this error:
    tools/gbagfx/gbagfx graphics/object_events/pics/people/may/running.png graphics/object_events/pics/people/may/running.4bpp -mwidth 2 -mheight 4
    libpng warning: bKGD: invalid index
    The width in tiles (21) isn't a multiple of the specified metatile width (2)
    make: *** [spritesheet_rules.mk:99: graphics/object_events/pics/people/may/running.4bpp] Error 1
    Is there a way to use my sprites as they are?

Years
    • Seen today
    Is there a way to use my sprites as they are?
    No. The game only supports sprites of specific sizes and 18 isn't one of them. You'll either have to shrink the width to 16 or increase it to 32 which is the next supported size.

Days
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    No. The game only supports sprites of specific sizes and 18 isn't one of them. You'll either have to shrink the width to 16 or increase it to 32 which is the next supported size.
    I increased the size of the sprites (shown below) to 32

The game did compile, however, the sprites are all messed up now, cycling through only half of a wrong sprite

When running up:
    When running down:
    When running to the right:

Can't help but notice it only used the first half of the image, i.e. the half it would have used if the sprite was 16 pixels wide. Is there a way to change this and make it use the 32 pixels sprites?

Years
    • Seen today
    I increased the size of the sprites (shown below) to 32
    View attachment 158841

The game did compile, however, the sprites are all messed up now, cycling through only half of a wrong sprite

When running up:
    View attachment 158842
    When running down:
    View attachment 158843
    When running to the right:
    View attachment 158844

Can't help but notice it only used the first half of the image, i.e. the half it would have used if the sprite was 16 pixels wide. Is there a way to change this and make it use the 32 pixels sprites?
    The game still displays the images as 16x32. You'll need to change the data that determines the sprite's size.

Here are at least some of the places where the width is defined:

You can look at how the data of the bike sprites is set up since those are 32x32.

Back