• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Graphics Pros & Cons Gen IV/V

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
        Hi everyone, I've made this thread because I'm curious about one thing : everytime I see a discussion about Gen IV and V comparison, there are always people to say that Gen V is a huge improvement in graphics. But I had to say that, at least to me, there are some downgrades on the graphical side in Gen V such as grass tiles as my main exemple

Gen IV (I use HGSS's ones)

Graphics Pros & Cons Gen IV/V

Gen V

So I'm wondering what you guys think about it, how you feel about the graphical change on everything, what is good, what's not. (Designs, overworlds, surroundings etc) As exemple, I'm not fond of the new trees in BW/BW2 compared to DPPt/HGSS, they look somehow odd to me ~_~ Maybe because I'm so used to Gen IV that it's hard to change style, I don't know {D:}

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Introduction of cutscenes, the semi 3D effect the overworld had, and the Pokemon sprites being fully animated were pluses to me for the graphics over previous generations.

But for negatives, it's how pixelated/not sharp images could sometimes be. It wasn't always bad though, and half the time it was when the camera zoomed in. And since it was basically always zoomed in sorta during battles your Pokemon's back sprites generally did not look as good as they could have been. This:

looks better here than it does in-game because of that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    Introduction of cutscenes, the semi 3D effect the overworld had, and the Pokemon sprites being fully animated were pluses to me for the graphics over previous generations.

But for negatives, it's how pixelated/not sharp images could sometimes be. It wasn't always bad though, and half the time it was when the camera zoomed in. And since it was basically always zoomed in sorta during battles your Pokemon's back sprites generally did not look as good as they could have been. This:

looks better here than it does in-game because of that.

Yeah, this is probably the main downside that most people have noticed, fully animated sprite in exchange of messed up pixels during battles because of the zoomed in camera, it bugs me too honestly especially when it comes to Pokemon like Zekrom or Reshiram, and I guess this was a big reason for Gamefreak to go full 3D with XY, the DS had it's limits, "2.5D" like some people say when talking about Gen V. I do love the cutscenes and all effects/animations given to overworld :) The fact that camera moves with the player is a great thing too.

Years
  • I think that Gen V pushes the DS hardware much more than Gen IV. So you can get this almost 3D overworld, and consequently no more grid on the world map, as well as the battles which look very "lively", as in it feels like the Pokémon are battling and moving, instead of just being static on the screen like in Gen IV. Of course, because of the DS's pathetic graphics performance and atrocious screen resolution, things don't look quite as nice when they zoom in or out. But I'd say while Gen IV "looks" better than Gen V, the latter "feels" better than Gen IV.

Back