• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen [GREEN][GLITCH] Finding MissingNo./Mew

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Okay, since the Glitch Discussion thread is closed, although there's still a link to it on the top of the board for some reason, and we have to spam the rest of the board with glitch questions, here's an interesting one.

I have a really bad bootleg ROM of Pokemon Green, and it is actually Green, and I'm interesting in wrecking its guts like I did with my legit copy of Yellow and the level 100 Mew before Misty glitch. Now, I'm sure the Mew glitch works in RGB(J), but does the Old Man glitch work and how do I develop a specific name to ensure I get a MissingNo.? I think it might not work considering there's only a PokeDex entry for MissingNo. in Blue (J) (also Blue changed a ton of stuff, counting tiles, which may mean that there's an irregular pointer on the right side of all coasts without manually-input data, hence why it works in the English games), but I can't be sure whether my guess is right or not. Anyone know about this? Does anyone know a lot about glitches in Green in general, either?

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    I have a japanese green, and own a missingno, the only occuring glitch is the battle sprites are a bit iffy, and the 6th item is dulplicated to x126

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I have a japanese green, and own a missingno, the only occuring glitch is the battle sprites are a bit iffy, and the 6th item is dulplicated to x126

I'm aware that my explanation wasn't very clear, but here is my question in English (Simplified)- How do I get a MissingNo. in Green?

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    I'm aware that my explanation wasn't very clear, but here is my question in English (Simplified)- How do I get a MissingNo. in Green?

The same way as in R/B

Talk to the old man in viridian city whom teaches you to catch a pokemon, then fly to cinnabar, and surf across the coast line on the east, and you should encounter it.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    The same way as in R/B

Talk to the old man in viridian city whom teaches you to catch a pokemon, then fly to cinnabar, and surf across the coast line on the east, and you should encounter it.

I've checked over the last while and I now have high doubts about that being a lie, since that (apparently) doesn't work in Red/Green (J). I don't know why it wouldn't work (if you read my post, I've already said my guess), but multiple sites have said that it does nothing, like Bulbapedia's talk page and some other one which I forget, I think it's Glitch City.

EDIT: "I have recently acquired the sad truth for myself and many others that MissingNo does NOT appear in Green. You will encounter absolutely nothing, ever, when surfing on the Cinnibar Coast and I'd assume that it freezes on cartridge when attempting the Mew Glitch, because it crashed my emulator. The programmers simply did not include a "automatic debugger" or "dummy", which is what MissingNo was." Well then, that's good to know, although I have no idea how I missed the second link on Google. At least I now know why there was so little data on it.

But the Mew glitch still works, so I'm going to at least exploit that in my Nuzlocke run.

Back