• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Grinding

Foxnordic

Common trainer
Years
  • How is the grinding going in HG/SS? I've been taking my time in this game by grinding all my pokemon to about the same level.

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
  • Yeah I'm doing the same time, so I'm still in Goldenrod while my other two friends are in Ice Path.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2010
    Ya know, I've found that I've needed to grind a lot more in HGSS than in other games. Not sure why, but it just feels like it. I'm in the process of grinding for Crasher Wake right now. :D

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Ya know, I've found that I've needed to grind a lot more in HGSS than in other games. Not sure why, but it just feels like it. I'm in the process of grinding for Crasher Wake right now. :D
    ...since when was Crasher Wake in HGSS?

Anyway, I've been keeping my Pokemon the same level, but there's really no need to grind. Right now I just beat Pryce and my Pokemon are Lv 30-32. Levels are so low in Johto that there's really no need to grind levels at all. I had to level up a bit before Bugsy, but that was because my Pokemon were only like Lv13 and they needed to be 15 or so to survive his Scyther.

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
  • Ya know, I've found that I've needed to grind a lot more in HGSS than in other games. Not sure why, but it just feels like it. I'm in the process of grinding for Crasher Wake right now. :D

Yeah, it's because the wild and trainer levels are lower, and there's no VS. Seeker. It's taking forever for me. I'm not really grinding though, just getting my levels the same like Moruka said.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Normally I catch and train every Pokemon to the same level; in LG, for example, even crap Pokemon like Kingler and Jynx were level 55 (I had about 50 send-out'able Pokemon in LG all at 55 lol)

Since I'm doing the Unevolved PokeChallenge in SS, though, I'm not really grinding. I'll need to grind to level Vulpix in a bit, since I'm'a catch it at 13 (and the other 2 are 25 already), but overall, there's no grinding really. Maybe in Kanto.

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
  • ...since when was Crasher Wake in HGSS?

Crasher Wake shows up near Safari Zone at the bridge infront of the waterfall.

Not like that matters...

I think I grinded a lot just to keep all of my Pokémon at the same level. But Sudowoodo always fell behind...

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Hypothetically speaking, I would grind. But mainly because the secondary reason of grinding is 'taking your time to move on with the game'.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Crasher Wake shows up near Safari Zone at the bridge infront of the waterfall.

Not like that matters...
    Battle-wise, I meant. You don't battle him at all in HGSS, so how could he be grinding for him? @_@

And I've been playing a bit more and still haven't had the need to grind - my Pokemon's levels are keeping up pretty well. I might need to gain a few levels before the Elite Four though - we'll see how I'm doing after I beat Clair. I still don't think there will be TOO much of a need - the game's levels are fairly low, especially compared to D/P/Pt.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I decided to just run through with two Pokemon, which went well for all 16 badges. However, I decided to face Red with two level 70's and, well, only got past his Pikachu because it KO'd itself with recoil damage :(.

I'm training in Mt. Silver and working on getting a Gengar and possibly Seadra up to level 60.

EDIT:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2010
    Battle-wise, I meant. You don't battle him at all in HGSS, so how could he be grinding for him? @_@

Hehe! :3 Sorry about that, I was referring to Chuck, the fifth gym leader. They have similar personalities, and I never try to remember all of the names of gym leaders. :embarrass

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    GSC were the games where I end up being underleveled and I have to grind for the Pokemon League. The same thing has happened in HGSS, as I've beaten Claire with my highest level Pokemon being Level 41 (now 42). I need to at least bring my Pokemon to level 45-50 before facing the Pokemon League. xD;

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I grind in all of the games because I feel if I don't my Pokémon would be severely under-leveled when the time came to face a gym leader or a member of the elite four. Playing through my SoulSilver version is absolutely no exception. I usually like them to be at the level my last gym badge allows traded Pokémon to be. Since I only have one gym badge, I'm raising them all to be at least level 15 before I leave Union Cave.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I always keep my Pokemon at the same levels as long as I can. I have 7 badges and all of my pokemon are at level 46. I'll probably make them all 48 for the 8th badge. Is that grinding? (I have 5 pokemon)

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    I forgot how low the levels are in Johto. I spent most of my time before the second gym grinding my pokes to level 20 before I figured out bugsy was only level 17 at the highest. slightly amusing

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    I grind in all of the games because I feel if I don't my Pokémon would be severely under-leveled when the time came to face a gym leader or a member of the elite four. Playing through my SoulSilver version is absolutely no exception. I usually like them to be at the level my last gym badge allows traded Pokémon to be. Since I only have one gym badge, I'm raising them all to be at least level 15 before I leave Union Cave.

This.

I was the same way when I played Red and Ruby. I haven't played Pokemon since, until the release of HGSS, but my old habits are coming back. I prefer being at a way higher level so I can KO gym leader pokemon in one hit most of the time.

I forgot how low the levels are in Johto. I spent most of my time before the second gym grinding my pokes to level 20 before I figured out bugsy was only level 17 at the highest. slightly amusing

I was pretty surprised and disappointed with this when I figured out that I was at level 23-24 and facing Bugsy. "Aw, why is his level so low?"

Years
  • I typically don't grind -- usually just battling trainers will suffice until I hit the E4, where I might have to gain a few more levels in Victory Road. Chances are I will probably have to do this in HG as well. Can't tell you if I will, though, because I'm nowhere near 8 badges yet.

However, my team is set up so badly in terms of Special Defense, that Morty's Gengar messed up my team. Seriously, hardly any of them could take one Shadow Ball, let alone more. So I was stuck grinding outside Olivine for the past day and a half, with Pokemon 5-9 levels lower than I was. And I still only beat him by sheer luck. :(

I hate grinding in Pokemon, so much. It gets boring after awhile, and I just want to move on.

Years
  • I'm about to start into a major grind-fest in HeartGold, actually. I caught a Lapras a couple of hours ago, and I need to get its level up to speed with the rest of my main team. Also, I'm trying to raise that Eevee I got from Bill - at the moment, it's only at Level 9, so I'm taking it on a level-grinding trip through Johto's low-leveled grasses (and eventually the higher-leveled ones).

As for the higher-leveled members of my team (who are currently in their late 20s), they get most of their experience from battling trainers, so I don't do much grinding with them. The only time I really do any heavy grinding is when I get a new Pokemon for my team and I need to get its level up with the others. Also, if I'm approaching a gym battle and figure a few more levels would do me good, I take some time out to grind, tedious as it is.

Morty's Gengar messed up my team. Seriously, hardly any of them could take one Shadow Ball, let alone more. So I was stuck grinding outside Olivine for the past day and a half, with Pokemon 5-9 levels lower than I was. And I still only beat him by sheer luck. :(

Oh yes... Morty's Gengar thrashed my Pokemon big-time, too. Even when I was using the Pokemon on my team with the highest Sp. Defense, it still took a major beating from Shadow Ball (one hit took off roughly 50-60% of its HP). I too won by sheer luck - Flame Wheel hitting twice in a row despite paralysis, and a critical hit on the second attack.

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I've never found myself grinding for any game other than Fr/Lg since I usually only use 2 or 3 Pokemon for most of the game. Then they'd be over leveled giving me time to train a 4th Pokemon. Normally 2 or 3 is enough though. You only find yourself grinding if you're trying to train too many Pokemon at once and keep all their levels the same.

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
  • I've noticed a need to grind a little more in SS as opposed to back in the day, though I think it's because of the game being a bit more difficult because of advances in the gameplay since then. One example I can point to is Quilava and the physical/special attack split. Flame Wheel will no longer tear apart Jasmine's Steelix like it once did, and it has to be grinded to at least 35 to learn Lava Plume.

Back