• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Guides

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    My kids have been really into the Pokémon show and movies. Because of this I went back and started playing Yellow.

I'm looking for a guide on what abilities to keep and which to delete for all the Pokémon in the game. Does this exist still. I know back in the late 90s we had them but for the life of me I can't remember how we used to level the Pokémon properly.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Probably not going to (easily) be able to find the exact sort of thing you're looking for if it was from the 90s. Closest thing I can find via a quick search is this: https://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-red-blue-yellow-version/Pikachu
    (each Pokemon has its own page)

Kind of as a basic rule, you generally want to have a damage dealing move or two that matches the Pokemon's types (but not have them all be the same, ie a Squirtle doesn't need all 4 of its moves to be offensive Water ones), and you want to play to the Pokemon's strengths. It can get a little more complicated than that though. Status effect and stat-altering moves can have their uses, occasionally you can do something that doesn't at first glance seem like it'd be a good idea for a Pokemon, some Pokemon can viably run different kinds of movesets, etc.

If you have any specific Pokemon in mind, we can try to help you with that, as well as any other questions you might have.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Probably not going to (easily) be able to find the exact sort of thing you're looking for if it was from the 90s. Closest thing I can find via a quick search is this: https://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-red-blue-yellow-version/Pikachu
    (each Pokemon has its own page)

Kind of as a basic rule, you generally want to have a damage dealing move or two that matches the Pokemon's types (but not have them all be the same, ie a Squirtle doesn't need all 4 of its moves to be offensive Water ones), and you want to play to the Pokemon's strengths. It can get a little more complicated than that though. Status effect and stat-altering moves can have their uses, occasionally you can do something that doesn't at first glance seem like it'd be a good idea for a Pokemon, some Pokemon can viably run different kinds of movesets, etc.

If you have any specific Pokemon in mind, we can try to help you with that, as well as any other questions you might have.
    Thank you.

Back