• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gunge/early 90s rock?

bigplrbear

C# programmer for the IAPL
    Years
    Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Peach, Tool... I could go on all day about how talented these bands are/were.

Does anybody else like to listen to this kind of stuff?

Years
    About four years ago I went through a massive grunge phase where that was most of what I listened to, but I still listen to a fair bit of grunge today. 1985-1995 had heaps of awesome music. Just for the record, I'm not the kind of person who puts bands into genres, I listen to whatever I like the sound of, not particular genres, but for the sake of the thread I'm just going to call these bands "grunge". So, nobody get angry!

You've got Sonic Youth for starters. They'd started in the early eighties, but still released amazing stuff while grunge was going on. Dirty is probably the most grunge-sounding album of theirs, and in my opinion is one of the best grunge albums of all time. You just have to listen to a song like Drunken Butterfly or 100% for your mind to be blown.

There's other bands like Mudhoney and Nirvana (obviously) - most of the songs off Nirvana's In Utero would describe grunge for me, and you feel somewhat dirty and weird after listening to Mudhoney, which I guess is just the feel of their music. Then there's bands like Hole (click to listen to Violet) which were great back in the early 90s (unfortunately their singer Courtney Love is really easy to hate). One song which, to me, is the epitome of that 85-95 alternative rock music is Siva by Smashing Pumpkins.

Basically, there's a tonne of music from this era that I love. I used to be a big fan of Alice In Chains (saw them live with their new singer and they were great) and Pearl Jam, but not so much anymore (not really my thing anymore).

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    Hell yeah grunge. I like Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Alice in Chains and need more stuff such as Screaming Trees and Mother Love Bone. As far as early 90s rock goes, I can't really be bothered searching up stuff but Tool is an amazing band (although I prefer 00s Tool).

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
    Alice in Chains is the best of these bands in my opinion. They kicked butt back in the day, they kick butt now.

I have a little message to all the new AIC haters out there. You're missing out. I saw AIC live at Red Rocks this year in October, and they were amazing. Jerry still has it in him. However when it comes to AIC's music, I think I enjoy the acouustic works a little better, mostly because it's so melodic and awesome.

I'm a small fan of Pearl Jam, but don't know much of them. I also like Nirvana, but need to be in the mood for them.

I'm also getting somewhat into Tool. I think their bassist is nothing short of amazing.

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I love early 90s Grunge/Alt Rock. Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Screaming Trees, TAD, Mudhoney, Smashing Pumpkins, Love Battery etc.

Melvins are awesome too and came out of the same area and time, but I wouldn't really consider them grunge.

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
    One of the best genres I have heard. I like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains.

By the way, isn't Tool progresive metal or that was a fake impresion I got after hearing Vicarious, Schism and Parabola?

Back