• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gyarados...flying?

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    I know, probably a stupid question, but I find myself wanting to ask it. Can a Gyarados actually fly? I know, in the games it can't, but it IS listed as part Flying-type. However, there are several Flying-types that can't actually fly (Doduo and Dodrio coming to mind, but even the games say that THEY can fly, despite having no wings). Plus, didn't the anime show one flying? I don't remember exactly, but it has been mentioned at several sites I've checked.

Anyways, having it fly makes sense to me. Despite not having wings, it is based off of the Japanese dragons, which can fly without wings. I just want everyone's thoughts on this, as well as any answers they have.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Well, Gyarados can learn Bounce as a Gen IV move tutor and a Gen V Dream World move. IMO, the reason why GameFreak didn't make Gyarados a Water/Dragon in Gen I is because the type combination would be broken defensively. Gyarados is also based on the myth of carps that leaped into the Dragon Gate would turn into dragons.

Fusparce

FuNsparce
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    Also, going with the first post though, Gyarados can't fly, but Rayquaza can. They both have similar structures, and such. But, Gyarados might just be based on a sea snake, but to make it stronger without breaking it as PlatinumDude said, they added the flying type, further complimenting the Karp myth.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    I knew that Gyarados was based on the carp myth, but his appearance is based on the Chinese/Japanese dragon... I see both of your points though. If he had been a Water/Dragon in Gen I, nothing would have beaten it. Heck, it would have still been unstoppable in Gen II. Anyways, I'm starting to get off-topic. :P

Yes, Gyarados CAN learn Bounce. However, several other Pokemon can as well, such as Ponyta and Spoink. Plus, it is generally Magikarp who gets Bounce in the first place, which sorta makes sense, since several Pokedex entires state that some Magikarp can leap over mountains (and it also keeps with the carp myth, as carps had to "leap" over the dragon's gate in order to become a dragon). Still, I sometimes wonder if Gamefreak meant for Gyarados to be a Flying-type. ._. In nearly every game Gyarados is in, he is shown to be either flying or floating, until Gen IV, where they had him coiled.

Guest123_x1

Gyarados was set as part-Flying, primarily due to its wings, even though it cannot learn Fly. When I first noticed there were miniature "wings" (which look more like ears) on Gyarados, then found out it couldn't learn Fly, I saw it as because the wings were too small.
    In nearly every game Gyarados is in, he is shown to be either flying or floating, until Gen IV, where they had him coiled.
    Gyarados was shown coiled in its front-sprite in Pokémon Yellow.

I knew that Gyarados was based on the carp myth, but his appearance is based on the Chinese/Japanese dragon... I see both of your points though. If he had been a Water/Dragon in Gen I, nothing would have beaten it. Heck, it would have still been unstoppable in Gen II.
    Kingdra, introduced in Gen. II, is Water/Dragon. Only Dragon-type attacks are super-effective against it. However, like Dragonite, Electric attacks do normal damage to Kingdra, because Kingdra is part-Water. (Dragonite is part-Flying.)

Plus, didn't the anime show one flying? I don't remember exactly, but it has been mentioned at several sites I've checked.
    On a side note, Dragonair was shown flying at the end of "Pikachu's Rescue Adventure", despite the fact that it cannot learn Fly (or any other Flying-type move) in the games.

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Having it fly would be useless anyway. But I don't think it learns any Flying-type attacks to begin with, except Bounce mentioned above.

Dodrio and Doduo can learn Fly, and they don't even have wings either.

It was probably a Water/Flying type so it would be a bit more balanced. Dragon Pokemon aren't common to begin with same goes with mvoes, and having a Water/Dragon in Gen I would make it pretty difficult to take down, combined with its monstrous attack. And it's still a threat, even with it's crippling typing.

BaileyPlaysPokemon

YouTube Vid maker, Gen I lover
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    regardless of the fact that it can't actually learn fly, it does seem silly that he would be a flying type, but not be able to learn ANY flying moves. i'm sure there are a few, but i can't think of many examples where a pokemon cannot learn even one move of its type. essentially, the only real thing the flying type seems to go is make electric moves 4x super effective 0_o

Back