• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gym & Gym Leaders Discussion

Which gym leader do you like better?

• Atei

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Kamitsure

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Yakon

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Furou

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Hachiku

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Iris (White)

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Shaga (Black)

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Dento, Poddo or Koon

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Aloe

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

abood321

Banned
Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    we'll see.. It seems that the third gym is psychic and the fourth is definitely electric

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Why are we assuming what the third/fourth gym is when we only know of two gym leaders? o_O Or am I missing something (most likely). Third is probably flying, assuming that Aloe is rock, so that it's based off weaknesses order, or something.

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
  • It's because of the shape of the badges.

Gym & Gym Leaders Discussion

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Looking back on the previous gym badges, there were heart badges before.
    In Generation 1, we had the soul badge which looked like this.

It belonged to Koga and he battled with poison type pokémon.

Then in Gen 3, Tate and Liza had a heart badge (Mind Badge) as well.

This time, they fought with psychic types. So based off of that, I'd figure the third gym might have a poison or psychic type gym leader. Possibly even both types.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...ooh the shapes, right. XD;

I'm going with flying even after realising it was based on the shapes. You need to use a plane to get to Isshu, so it might have something to do with flying to the heart of Isshu, I dunno... Pokemon might not think that much when deciding types.

If not, then yeah what Kaori said is likely. :x

Chub 777

Golden User
    Years
  • I have a hunch that Dento's gym is an elemental gym. The proof is that you have to complete "super effective type" puzzles and he has a Yanappu. Because Yanappu is part of an elemental trio, I guess Dento has Grass/Fire/Water or starter types.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Looking back on the previous gym badges, there were heart badges before.

This time, they fought with psychic types. So based off of that, I'd figure the third gym might have a poison or psychic type gym leader. Possibly even both types.
    I mentioned this a while back too :)
    I am thinking Psychic, we haven't had a early psychic gym, sabrina was what 6th and Liza and Tate were 7th.

Tyxomm

Akimoto-Kenta
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2010

Start watching from 3:21.
    Now when you face dento at 3:37 he's alone.
    But after the battle from 3:41 to 3:51 his partners are behind him.
    So do we fight them, or are the there to congratulate you. :rambo:

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • Looking back on the previous gym badges, there were heart badges before.

Heart shaped bagde doesnt mean its gonna be a psy/poison type o.o
    The only reason they had them in heart shape was that in lize/tate case it represented their unity and showed how 2 parts of the same heart touched, bout koga; for japanese ppl kokoro(heart) and soul represent the same thing, and he was supposed to be a shinobi(ninja) so idk they supposed it would make logic to make him a person with lots of soul (:P).
    In either way heart represented something else, so heart badge shouldnt mean its psy/poison type :/

The Red Chain

I expect GF to surprise us this time. The heart shapes in the past are good evidence, but I doubt they would do it three times.
    That's just boring and annoying after a while. XD;

As for the lightning bolt.. at an angle it does resemble a lightning bolt, but it could very well be something entirely different. Afterall, if we hadn't seen Dento's badge and only got the shadow of where it would be in the badge case we would've thought it was an electric Gym too. The shape of his also resembles a lightning bolt. We've had an electric Gym Leader in all regions but one.. it's about time for a change of pace I'd think. ^^;

I think it's too coincidental for the other two to have the remaining two elements [fire, water] as their hair color, and for Dento's badge to have three gems colored as all three of the elements as well. I don't think they are there just to congratulate you myself. XD

I know I'm leaving air out of the elements btw.

Last edited:

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • After seeing the battle with Dento and his surroundings, Im beginning to think that this is a mixed type gym. I just felt like putting it out there lol

Years
  • Maybe Dento will be a ground or rock type gym leader obviously because nintendo has done that in 3/4 generations in the past. My guess is aloe is grass obviously because of her name, maybe a hippie as Isshu is industrious and she looks like shes from the 60's/70's from her sprite. This combo would make sense as Nintendo usually sticks to something like this and would make none of the starters type advanced for the first two gyms.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • After seeing the battle with Dento and his surroundings, Im beginning to think that this is a mixed type gym. I just felt like putting it out there lol

With the revelation of two more monkeys alongside Yanuppu, that makes this theory pretty likely, in my opinion.

My guess is aloe is grass obviously because of her name

In Japan, all the Gym Leaders' names are based off of plants. So really, there isn't anything suggesting Aloe is a Grass-type Gym Leader.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Heart shaped bagde doesnt mean its gonna be a psy/poison type o.o
    The only reason they had them in heart shape was that in lize/tate case it represented their unity and showed how 2 parts of the same heart touched, bout koga; for japanese ppl kokoro(heart) and soul represent the same thing, and he was supposed to be a shinobi(ninja) so idk they supposed it would make logic to make him a person with lots of soul (:P).
    In either way heart represented something else, so heart badge shouldnt mean its psy/poison type :/

It doesn't mean the type has to be poison or pyschic type but I'm just putting my theory out there because it makes sense. Seeing as its shaped as a heart, and main colors for a heart are red/pink/purplish colors I just thought I'd put that in. GameFreak may as well and put a change to that, but that's just my guess.

I suppose we'll just have to wait for the games to come out if nothing is released and shown before that. n_n It won't be a long wait, and Dento and Aloe seems to be the only ones announced so it would keep our thoughts and speculation going on.

I expect GF to surprise us this time. The heart shapes in the past are good evidence, but I doubt they would do it three times.
    That's just boring and annoying after a while. XD;

As for the lightning bolt.. at an angle it does resemble a lightning bolt, but it could very well be something entirely different. Afterall, if we hadn't seen Dento's badge and only got the shadow of where it would be in the badge case we would've thought it was an electric Gym too. The shape of his also resembles a lightning bolt. We've had an electric Gym Leader in all regions but one.. it's about time for a change of pace I'd think. ^^;

I think it's too coincidental for the other two to have the remaining two elements [fire, water] as their hair color, and for Dento's badge to have three gems colored as all three of the elements as well. I don't think they are there just to congratulate you myself. XD

I know I'm leaving air out of the elements btw.

Perhaps the people that stand next to Dento may as well just have a little role, if not battling beside him.
    If they are going to battle us but instead battle them one by one, I'd be a little disappointed because it wouldn't be as fun. In addition to that, they might as well just put them in their separate places away from Dento inside the gym if that were to happen. :(

It's hard to say what they are doing there since, usually the main ones would be placed there. Hopefully their role if not battling, is something important. I would love to have a triple battle Gym Leader match though. It would be a different thing to experience.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years

• Start watching from 3:21.
    Now when you face dento at 3:37 he's alone.
    But after the battle from 3:41 to 3:51 his partners are behind him.
    i thikn the corresponding type guy will pop out(?) and hell battle u depending on the type tile chosen. but ithink they will send out the monkey that has a resistance to the type u chose.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • I hate how they waited until making a region New York to through in a Gay person in the games. Good job at being jerks Nintendo.

Back