• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leaders/Elite Four Speculation

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    You know what would be cool, if we had separate Pokemon Leagues for each version like for example

Pokemon Sun could have Fire, Grass, Fairy, Electric, Psychic, Normal, Bug, Fighting Gyms, not in that order and Pokemon Moon could have Water, Flying, Poison, Dark, Ground, Steel, Ice, Ghost Gyms.

That be cool to see imo

Years
    Those are some pretty good types. Perhaps I'll replace water and electric with less used types like Steel.

I do think we need more Gyms for types that haven't got many Gyms, so I'm hoping for no Water or Electric Gym for this region, but knowing its likely setting I'm still expecting the former to happen. Types I'm hoping for new Gyms are Fire, Psychic, Steel, Poison, Fairy and Ground, and of course the long-awaited debut of the Dark-type Gym.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I do think we need more Gyms for types that haven't got many Gyms, so I'm hoping for no Water or Electric Gym for this region, but knowing its likely setting I'm still expecting the former to happen. Types I'm hoping for new Gyms are Fire, Psychic, Steel, Poison, Fairy and Ground, and of course the long-awaited debut of the Dark-type Gym.
    Actually if we're travelling back to Kalos in S/M we can discount the Kalos gyms types, as I don't think they'll double dip. They certainly didn't with GS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Actually if we're travelling back to Kalos in S/M we can discount the Kalos gyms types, as I don't think they'll double dip. They certainly didn't with GS.

That's a very interesting point. If Sun & Moon visit Kalos again and there are no changes to the Gym Leaders (or rather, no changes to their Types), then that leaves Normal, Fire, Flying, Poison, Ground, Water, Dragon, Ghost, Dark, and Steel. If we exclude the Elite Four Types, that would leave us with only Normal, Flying, Poison, Ground, Ghost, and Dark. So there'd have to be some overlap, at least with the Elite Four. I actually wouldn't mind if Valerie moved up into the ranks of the Elite Four to give us our first Fairy-Type Elite Four, and I'd love to see a Normal-Type Elite Four, too.

So I guess my own personal preference would be something like this:

1. Dragon(I feel this would be interesting since they would resist your starter, making for more of a challenge)
    2. Flying
    3. Ghost
    4. Poison
    5. Ground
    6. Fire
    7. Steel (or no Type)
    8. Dark
    (I wouldn't mind seeing them attempt a no-Type Gym again, but if they do, I'd hope it's 7th so there's more time in-between that Gym and the Champ, who will likely also be no-Type)

E1. Normal
    E2. Water (Siebold was my favorite Kalos E4 so I'm biased)
    E3. Fairy (could possibly be Valerie)
    E4. Electric (could possibly be Clemont)
    No-Type Champ (may or may not still be Diantha)

K1. Bug
    K2. Rock
    K3. Fighting
    K4. Grass
    K5. Electric (if Electric E4 is Clemont, this could be Bonnie)
    K6. Normal (replaces Valerie)
    K7. Psychic
    K8. Ice

Years
    I feel like multi-typed Gym Leader should remain an exclusive title to Blue, since he notably uses his final team from the Kanto games but adds a Gyarados/Arcanine/Exeggutor to substitute for his Kanto starter. The fact he's a rival-turned-Gym Leader makes me feel like he needs to be unique.

Years
    You know what would be cool, if we had separate Pokemon Leagues for each version like for example

Pokemon Sun could have Fire, Grass, Fairy, Electric, Psychic, Normal, Bug, Fighting Gyms, not in that order and Pokemon Moon could have Water, Flying, Poison, Dark, Ground, Steel, Ice, Ghost Gyms.

That be cool to see imo
    Eh, that just comes off as trying arbitrarily to make players get both games, and perhaps making it such that they have no reason to get either. They would presumably rather save a different gym sequence for different games, rather than making a Gym sequence which is mostly redundant, or which most players would miss out on. As such, given that they probably plan on further gens, they would probably rather save new sequences and such for that.

Maybe we'll get a typeless gym like Blue's in the Johto games. I can see the theme being Sun and Moon related mons. Like a team of Espeon, Umbreon, Volcarona, Sylveon, Musharna, and Mega Sunflora!
    That seems like a bit of a gimmick thing. They're unlikely to want to make a Gym Leader, whom you're supposed to beat, a promoter for the game. You'd only encounter these Pokémon in taking them out. They'd probably rather do so with the wild Pokemon, although obviously they could just make the whole game a speculative take on what would occur if X and Y were themed around the titular variables, and, depending on the details, this could totally work.

Typeless gyms are possible, though, but they generally take such gyms more seriously.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    What about gyms based more on the type of battle instead of it's type.
    Contrary Gym
    Double Gym
    Triple Gym
    Rotation Gym
    A gym requiring flying pokemons wouldn't work because it's too restrictive.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think flying would be too restrictive. If anything it will make people think more about strategies. Being forced to use a small set of Pokemon (depending on the regional dex) would be more challenging than just facing a normal type difference. In type gyms you can at least use a neutral, strong Pokemon. In this case if the gym has a part-electric type, battles are harder and involve more strategy as no matter what you do, you have to use something weak to it. Although I suppose if Levitate was added that wouldn't be too bad either way too.

Years
    I'd like to see the gym leaders have careers that are given some focus like in BW since it let them appear outside of their gyms and have something to talk about besides just being a gym leader which in turn led to them being more developed characters, something XY missed the mark on in comparison. It would also be nice to see them interact more, something I thought the designs of the Kalos gym leaders prevented a bit since they were so disparate. As for types the under-represent types like Poison and Dark would be nice and I think an early Dragon gym would be cool since it would encourage inexperienced players not to rely on their starter too much, overlevelling it then having their progress halted when a counter shows up later in the game (maybe not the first gym since that might be too much of a challenge).

My ideal Elite Four would be Grass, Rock, Normal and Electric because I think the full potential of Grass and Rock have never been covered since they've only ever been used in early game gyms (though obviously dual types would have to cover their many weaknesses), Electric has been so overused in gyms that it's never seen the E4 and Normal is such a varied type that depending on the team it could make an E4 member difficult to sweep/counter. I'm also always disappointed by the E4 character-wise (Why weren't they at the PWT???) so I'd really like them to have more screen time by encountering them outside of the League at some point.

Oh and personally I want (past gym 2) some gym puzzles that are somewhat challenging, original and aren't just pseudo-mazes or "defeat all the trainers" (Looking at you Korrina, Olympia and Tate & Liza). I know people can find the puzzles frustrating and the gyms tend to be great aesthetically but I've always liked gyms like Wallace's, Candice's, Volkner's and Marlon's.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Gen 2 had a Flying type gym as the first gym which was at least different and also needed you to not only rely on your starter.

Pretty much the rest of the gyms were Rock and Bug gyms with a Fire/Water/Grass and Normal gym.

Guest123123

In this case if the gym has a part-electric type, battles are harder and involve more strategy as no matter what you do, you have to use something weak to it.
    You could use that same Electric/Flying type against it. If Gligar is available there's also that.

Back