• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Gym Manager 2023 - A Roguelike Pokemon Experience (Beta v4 out 11/22/23)

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Gym Manager 2023 - A Roguelike Pokemon Experience (Beta v4 out 11/22/23)

Download:
    Beta Version 4
    Save every day! Just in case you run into a game-breaking bug.

The Story:

A humble small town seeks help managing its brand-new Pokemon Gym. After accepting the offer, you are tasked with hiring a Gym Leader and managing a roster of Gym Trainers each day. The ultimate goal of the gym is to fashion itself as a reputable gym and attain accreditation.

Each day, competitors will line up to challenge the Gym and its trainers. Upgrades to the gym are made after every successful day, and prize money can be used to improve the teams of the Gym Trainers through multiple methods: buying items and TMs, or adopting Pokemon to add to your trainers' teams.

Everything about the progression of your gym is completely randomized, from the Pokemon type of your gym to the trainers that you face each day. In my own experience testing the game there is a significant amount of skill that goes into making the best decisions with available choices, and being adequately prepared for each day's challenge.

Your gym trainers are AI-controlled in battle. All trainers start with a skill level of 1 that can be improved with random "Skill Ups" from the daily upgrade selection. Improved trainers will start hunting type mismatches, while beginner trainers will make many more mistakes.

If all of your Gym Trainers are defeated in a day, the game is over. It wouldn't be a true roguelike without permadeath! The game will continue infinitely, but the "final boss" is on day 100.

Other Features:
    • Multiple save files.
    • Elite Battle system from Luka SJ
    • Speed up script, press Q to toggle game speeds (1x, 2x, 3x, 4x).
    • You CAN turn off AI-controlled allies and issue commands for their Pokemon, but I don't recommend it. The difficulty is balanced around the auto battle mechanic.

Other Screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Discord:
    Spoiler:

Credits, Scripts:
    Spoiler:

Thanks in advance for giving it a try!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I tried it for a bit. The idea of running a gym is an appealing idea for a game. However, while I like the idea of having AI controlled gym trainers, and a bit of randomness, I think it would be a lot more interesting if you got to be the gym leader yourself and choose your team. Even if it was still that you had to pick them from a random pool or something to preserve the roguelike aspect.

Years
    • Seen today
    I am having fun with it. The only criticism I have thus far is that the type of your gym doesn't seem to impact what mons you get at all, but I suppose that even if the odds are tuned up a bit toward the type you picked, it would have to be very heavy to be noticeable considering how many mons there are in general.

That said, I think when you hire a trainer, the 3 mons they come with should all be of the type you chose, that way it at least feels more like a gym experience. Right now I have a full team of 6 trainers, probably 25-30 mons between them and I may have 4 or 5 that tie to the gym type I picked.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2023
    i kind of wished you can choose your name and being able to have your own pokemon depending on what type you choose for the gym because what manager wont have there own Pokémon

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I am having fun with it. The only criticism I have thus far is that the type of your gym doesn't seem to impact what mons you get at all, but I suppose that even if the odds are tuned up a bit toward the type you picked, it would have to be very heavy to be noticeable considering how many mons there are in general.

That said, I think when you hire a trainer, the 3 mons they come with should all be of the type you chose, that way it at least feels more like a gym experience. Right now I have a full team of 6 trainers, probably 25-30 mons between them and I may have 4 or 5 that tie to the gym type I picked.
    I think the problem is that hiring a random trainer has a 1 in 3 chance of being from your gym's "pool" of trainers. I did this so that you wouldn't get stuck with too many of the same type and not be able to progress, but I think it's skewed too far in the wrong direction. I'll probably change the odds to make it more likely to hire a trainer with the correct type.

I tried it for a bit. The idea of running a gym is an appealing idea for a game. However, while I like the idea of having AI controlled gym trainers, and a bit of randomness, I think it would be a lot more interesting if you got to be the gym leader yourself and choose your team. Even if it was still that you had to pick them from a random pool or something to preserve the roguelike aspect.
    i kind of wished you can choose your name and being able to have your own pokemon depending on what type you choose for the gym because what manager wont have there own Pokémon
    I think you are both looking for a different type of game that probably already exists. This game scratches a pretty different itch than regular Pokemon.

I do want to add the ability to name yourself, and potentially have a high scores table to keep track of your best runs.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I really love this so far. I've got a few suggestions and a few bizarre interactions, not exactly bugs, but definitely problems.

First, I think it'd be great if there was some way to swap Pokemon between trainers, whether that would be a PC or some other system. I find that some of my strongest Pokemon appear across my trainers rather than on one in particular, so it'd be great to be able to consolidate the best ones on the Gym Leader and work your way down, similar to how a normal gym works. It would also help because most of my teams have a clear weak link that ends up being underleveled, and it would be great to move those around to get them in the best team to get leveled up. Another bonus would be that you can retire Pokemon without just releasing them. My Farfetch'd consistently fall behind in level but it feels awful to just throw them out because they've been here since the beginning.

Secondly, an item or something for friendship evolutions would be great. I'm on day 40, so maybe I haven't encounterd something yet, or maybe I just need to run around town for ten minutes like other games, but it's kind of hard to tell. Honestly friendship evos are kind of awful to begin with.

Third, some kind of documentation would be great. I'm fairly sure that move sets have been altered to some degree, and it would be nice to have a list of Pokemon and move learn levels to make better decisions on buying TM's and such. If I'm wrong and there are no changes, maybe you could just add a note somewhere letting people know which games specifically the move sets are based on.

Fourth, please consider either adding more Pokemon to the Juggler's pool, or lowering the encounter rate. I feel like I get at least one every couple of days and aside from a single Shelgon, it's an entire party of Voltorb and Electrode. It went from a funny encounter the first few times, to kind of mind numbing after the 20 or 30 I've seen already. For additions, there are a number of carnival or even circus style Pokemon. Those that come to mind are Mime Jr and Mr Mime, the Machop line to simulate strongmen, and perhaps some circus animals like lions (Pyroar line) and elephants (Donphan line). Of course it's all up to you, I just feel like I spend a lot of time fighting ridiculously fast orbs.

Finally, I experienced a few weird things. First, and it may be intentional, but Whimsicott has Gust in it's Move Relearner pool yet it can't learn it through TM. Second, the AI seems to have trouble understanding Storm Drain and Water Absorb. I had a battle on a level 4 AI, my Mantyke with Water Absorb, and an enemy Shellos with Storm Drain. For some reason, my Mantyke just wouldn't switch to Wing Attack until it dumped all of it's Water Pulse PP into the Shellos, and the Shellos kept swapping from Tackle or whatever damaging move it had to Water Gun, healing my Mantyke. I also had another encounter with two equally leveled Ledians with the same moveset, they traded 1 damage moves and used Rest to heal until both were out of PP, and the moment I though they'd start using Struggle, my trained decided to switch out. It was very bizarre to me that some trainers swap out in much more favorable circumstances, yet these two ran through 90 PP worth of moves before swapping out when they could finally do some real damage. I've also noticed that some of trainers swap at awful times. For instance my Swellow is faster than the opponent and gets hit with Rock Slide, the next turn it 100% of the time will out speed and get the KO with the same move it just used, but instead of doing that, my trainer switches into another flying type to take the Rock Slide, that Pokemon isn't strong enough to get the KO, it faints, and then we send out Scyther. It seems to be trying to tank the other Pokemon for the safe switch into Scyther, but it never needed to do that to begin with.

This game is really great though. I always appreciate new spins on Pokemon, and this is definitely tied for my favorite along with that Slay The Spire style game. It seems really well put together and has great replay value, especially for something in it's first Beta.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I really love this so far. I've got a few suggestions and a few bizarre interactions, not exactly bugs, but definitely problems.

First, I think it'd be great if there was some way to swap Pokemon between trainers, whether that would be a PC or some other system. I find that some of my strongest Pokemon appear across my trainers rather than on one in particular, so it'd be great to be able to consolidate the best ones on the Gym Leader and work your way down, similar to how a normal gym works. It would also help because most of my teams have a clear weak link that ends up being underleveled, and it would be great to move those around to get them in the best team to get leveled up. Another bonus would be that you can retire Pokemon without just releasing them. My Farfetch'd consistently fall behind in level but it feels awful to just throw them out because they've been here since the beginning.
    First of all, this is great feedback and thanks for the praise, I really appreciate both!

A PC is something that was suggested in alpha, while I understand that it's wanted there are a couple of issues. First, it would require an entire storage-system overhaul to account for 6 parties, which is a pretty large task and not something I'm looking into in the short term. Second, it definitely makes the game significantly easier as you can metagame incoming trainers each day much harder with a larger Pokemon pool. I may try to think of some sort of compromise solution.

Secondly, an item or something for friendship evolutions would be great. I'm on day 40, so maybe I haven't encounterd something yet, or maybe I just need to run around town for ten minutes like other games, but it's kind of hard to tell. Honestly friendship evos are kind of awful to begin with.

Third, some kind of documentation would be great. I'm fairly sure that move sets have been altered to some degree, and it would be nice to have a list of Pokemon and move learn levels to make better decisions on buying TM's and such. If I'm wrong and there are no changes, maybe you could just add a note somewhere letting people know which games specifically the move sets are based on.
    I agree, there aren't actually any friendship evolutions but instead alternate stone/item evolutions. It's not perfect, but if you look at the file Gym Manager 2023\PBS\pokemon.txt you can Ctrl + F search any Pokemon and find any information that you're looking for. This includes evolution methods and learnsets. The way that I added the new TM's is not perfect, which is why you see Whimsicott able to learn Gust through relearn but not through TM. I mostly used a Notepad macro instead of changing 600 Pokemons' movesets by hand.

Fourth, please consider either adding more Pokemon to the Juggler's pool, or lowering the encounter rate. I feel like I get at least one every couple of days and aside from a single Shelgon, it's an entire party of Voltorb and Electrode. It went from a funny encounter the first few times, to kind of mind numbing after the 20 or 30 I've seen already. For additions, there are a number of carnival or even circus style Pokemon. Those that come to mind are Mime Jr and Mr Mime, the Machop line to simulate strongmen, and perhaps some circus animals like lions (Pyroar line) and elephants (Donphan line). Of course it's all up to you, I just feel like I spend a lot of time fighting ridiculously fast orbs.
    I definitely agree with this, it started as an homage to the Juggler class from gen 1 but in the later days a full party of Electrodes can be miserable to fight (Static, Self-Destruct, etc.) if you don't have proper Ground counters. I do like the idea of adding circus Pokemon, I may try that!

Finally, I experienced a few weird things. First, and it may be intentional, but Whimsicott has Gust in it's Move Relearner pool yet it can't learn it through TM. Second, the AI seems to have trouble understanding Storm Drain and Water Absorb. I had a battle on a level 4 AI, my Mantyke with Water Absorb, and an enemy Shellos with Storm Drain. For some reason, my Mantyke just wouldn't switch to Wing Attack until it dumped all of it's Water Pulse PP into the Shellos, and the Shellos kept swapping from Tackle or whatever damaging move it had to Water Gun, healing my Mantyke. I also had another encounter with two equally leveled Ledians with the same moveset, they traded 1 damage moves and used Rest to heal until both were out of PP, and the moment I though they'd start using Struggle, my trained decided to switch out. It was very bizarre to me that some trainers swap out in much more favorable circumstances, yet these two ran through 90 PP worth of moves before swapping out when they could finally do some real damage. I've also noticed that some of trainers swap at awful times. For instance my Swellow is faster than the opponent and gets hit with Rock Slide, the next turn it 100% of the time will out speed and get the KO with the same move it just used, but instead of doing that, my trainer switches into another flying type to take the Rock Slide, that Pokemon isn't strong enough to get the KO, it faints, and then we send out Scyther. It seems to be trying to tank the other Pokemon for the safe switch into Scyther, but it never needed to do that to begin with.
    The AI used by your trainers is exactly the same as the enemy AI, I've just abstracted the scaling of the AI difficulty into 4 "levels". This is untouched from the Pokemon Essentials engine, a longer-term todo for me is to actually study the AI a bit and try to make a fifth level that is smarter, but for now this is unfortunately the smartest the AI can be without manual tweaking.

This game is really great though. I always appreciate new spins on Pokemon, and this is definitely tied for my favorite along with that Slay The Spire style game. It seems really well put together and has great replay value, especially for something in it's first Beta.
    Thanks again!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Thanks for the quick response. I honestly don't know how I missed that PBS file. I think stones are a perfect way to avoid friendship evos, no complaints here. As for the PC thing, I agree that a straight up PC, difficulty of making aside, would be a little too strong. Honestly I think the game functions great without it, it's more just that you sometimes get a Pokemon on a random trainer's team that gets a good streak of encounters and ends up becoming one of the best on your entire roster, and it just feels odd to have something stronger than many of the leader's mons on someone else's team. I don't know if it would be more or less difficult to implement, but maybe just being able to do a trade between your trainers. If it were limited to once or twice a day, you could prevent any real amount of metagaming while still being able to make important swaps, plus you'd still need to manage you party size.

Aside from that, the whole TM inconsistency thing is actually okay from a gameplay standpoint. Whimsicott for instance already gets Giga Drain, Moonblast, and Hurricane by relearner, so it ends up becoming a question of whether or not you spend the 3000 for the accuracy of Gust over or with Hurricane, or if you ignore it because you can't justify the price for 40 power. If anything, more situations like that could make for a better roguelike experience.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2023
    yeah but i kind of meant if the manager has his own pokemon then you could put the trainers somewhere else

Years
    • Seen today
    I think this is a good start. I think adding onto my comments around the gym type mattering a bit more, I think there are some things you could do with progression. You could do the typical scenario where the town starts at bare bones but as you reach certain levels of prestige, the town expands and gets more services. You could also make investments into certain services to improve them. E.g. start with only getting 1 pokemon in the nursery each day and have it be of a low tier. Then you could invest in having more pokemon available overall, and then also put investment towards improving the tier of pokemon available. You could do similar things with the Items and TMs as well, you could have other things move into town like a Mint sellers, various random Move Tutors, Ability Changers/item sellers, etc.

I just feel like the progression drops off considerably after you have all of the gym upgrades, have full teams of 6 for all 6 trainers, etc. I got to Day 67 before deciding to put it down because I wasn't seeing anything else new. All I'd play from here on out would be at the off chance of adding a Legendary or a Pseudo to my teams, or get more Megastones. I got everything else now at this point, at least to my knowledge. I think that's another thing that could be improved on, having visibility into anything else that may get unlocked.

Years
    • Online now
    ive reset a bunch of times and i cant seem to have a dark, ground, or steel gym, is this intentional or are those types just rare?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think this is a good start. I think adding onto my comments around the gym type mattering a bit more, I think there are some things you could do with progression. You could do the typical scenario where the town starts at bare bones but as you reach certain levels of prestige, the town expands and gets more services. You could also make investments into certain services to improve them. E.g. start with only getting 1 pokemon in the nursery each day and have it be of a low tier. Then you could invest in having more pokemon available overall, and then also put investment towards improving the tier of pokemon available. You could do similar things with the Items and TMs as well, you could have other things move into town like a Mint sellers, various random Move Tutors, Ability Changers/item sellers, etc.

I just feel like the progression drops off considerably after you have all of the gym upgrades, have full teams of 6 for all 6 trainers, etc. I got to Day 67 before deciding to put it down because I wasn't seeing anything else new. All I'd play from here on out would be at the off chance of adding a Legendary or a Pseudo to my teams, or get more Megastones. I got everything else now at this point, at least to my knowledge. I think that's another thing that could be improved on, having visibility into anything else that may get unlocked.
    I think this is a very fair criticism and I feel the same way about my runs that go late into the game, you kinda run out of stuff to change (which is the most interesting part of the game). For the next major update I'm going to try and solve this problem by adding more variety to the combat and potentially add more upgrades for late game.

ive reset a bunch of times and i cant seem to have a dark, ground, or steel gym, is this intentional or are those types just rare?
    As of right now these types are bundled other types. Dark is paired under Psychic, Ground is under Rock, and Steel usually comes with Poison or Electric trainers.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey everyone, I'm very happy with the feedback and reception so far. Over 200 people tried the first beta; thank you all for trying it out!

Here is the download link for Beta Version 2: link.

Beta Version 2 Release Notes:
    Code:
    New features
    ------------
    - Combat King, a new vendor, sells a random held item every day in Twig Forest starting on Day 20
    - Selecting a Pokemon in the party menu now has the "Evo Info" option, which will tell you how it evolves (if there is a possible evolution)
    - New Ultra-Rare and Legendary Upgrades
      - Hire a named trainer from RSE
        - Ultra-Rare: Roxanne, Wallace, etc.
    	- Legendary: Phoebe, Steven, etc.
    	- These trainers come with full parties, skill level 4, and have a boosted chance to have rare or legendary Pokemon

Minor stuff
    -----------
    - Reworked the mailbox system to not be spaghetti code, letter text is a bit more orderly and readable

Balance changes
    ---------------
    - Reduced rates of finding powerful upgrades. Part of the issue of running out of things to upgrade is that rates were just too high
    - Adjusted difficulty curve to make days 35-54 easier
      - Previously day 35 was a massive difficulty spike with predominantly evolved Pokemon, dialed the rate of stage 1's back a bit
    - Increased odds of hiring a trainer of your gym type from 33% to 66%
      - Gym type didn't seem to matter, as it was difficult to actually get Pokemon of your gym's type
    - Added additional species to Juggler lineups (still favors Voltorb)
      - 6 Electrodes with Static and Self-Destruct became more annoying than funny

Bug Fixes
    ---------
    - In Beta v1 you could release your Gym Leader when hiring a new trainer while already having a full party

What's next
    -----------
    - Fill out the late game with more progression options, once you get full teams it's hard to find useful upgrades
    - Add variety to the battle format. Possible options include
      - Double battle days
      - Player-controlled battles
    Thanks again!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The game is really fun, but a lot of times runs are doomed because the ai decide it's a good idea to just spamm growl/leer/harden and never attack, even at skill lvl 4. It's really frustrating at times

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    The game is really fun, but a lot of times runs are doomed because the ai decide it's a good idea to just spamm growl/leer/harden and never attack, even at skill lvl 4. It's really frustrating at times
    I agree, but the fix is easy. The move deleter on the east side of town is free. I haven't had this problem since, as I just wipe the bad stat-changing moves after getting a new Pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday

I agree, but the fix is easy. The move deleter on the east side of town is free. I haven't had this problem since, as I just wipe the bad stat-changing moves after getting a new Pokemon.
    Primal is right, that's why the Move Deleter is free, so you can avoid frustrating movesets. I've thought about trying to write my own "improvement" to the AI for a skill level 5, but it's not at the top of the list of things I want to improve right now.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Over 1,000 people tried the second beta, thank you all! The third beta has been released, and can be found here.

New features -

• New battle modes: double battle and gym leader only. Each day will either contain single battles (66%), double battles (16.5%), or player-controlled battles with only your gym leader. (16.5%)
    • Double battle days are the same as single battle days, except that every battle is a double battle. This should add some complexity to your team building, as moves such as Helping Hand now actually have value (and Earthquake is a LOT riskier).
    • Gym leader only days are fairly self explanatory. Instead of being AI controlled, YOU control the moves of your gym leader against opposing trainers. The number of Pokemon and difficulty are obviously adjusted to account for only having one team to use.
    • Days that you face a boss (Day 14, 24, 34, etc.) can only be single or double battle days.

Minor stuff -

• Removed text boxes from battles that require confirmation (pressing the 'A' button). This allows for full auto-battling, in theory all the way through an entire day. Pokemon evolution and learning moves still requires user input, but this should be a pretty nice change overall.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Beta Version 3 had several bugs related to "gym leader only" days. A hotfix is released and can be found here.

Back