• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: [Hack of the Year 2017] - Pokémon Orange (GBC) [Suloku Patch] (Fin)

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
Years
  • I have a bug report for the PSS Movie 2000 version

I evolved my Rockruff into midnight Lycanroc and it has a very glitched square back sprite when switched into battle, then it crashes the game after winning the battle and on reset tells me that the cartridge is in the wrong kind of Gameboy. This occurs even faster if Lycanroc is the first one out into battle. I put my poor dog into its own box for now to keep it from crashing my game again but I'm quite sad that I can't use it.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I have some new Island Walker maps to show off.

Spoiler:

Starting from scratch allowed for a lot of optimizations with tilesets and blocksets, allowing me to flesh out some of these early maps. A main focus was to incentivize backtracking to these older locations. If you played Orange recently, you may have thought it was too short or there was no reason to go back to old places. This is partly due to how the world was made and how items are distributed in Orange. Grass was added on a route that didn't have any before, to accommodate the expanded pokedex.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hello,

I really love your game, but I am stuck in the cave in Victory Road and am not sure how to progress. I also don't have Rock Climb and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have it already.

Any help would be appreciated so I can resume playing your game.

Thanks!

Andrew

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2023
    Are all of the stone and trade evos accessible in the game? Just curious before I commit to having a growlithe and geodude on my team lol.

If there's a documentation for this game like Crystal Clear has I'd love to be linked to that :) thank you.

Years
    • He/ Him
    • Seen Feb 24, 2023
    Hi! New to the forum (as a user), and fairly new to fanbrew hacks. I've only played a few min into both the V1, and the most current Beta, but they're fantastic. I'm a purist with the old games, hence the name, and Pia Carrot's Orange hack is just the right amount of change in terms of design. I'm ecstatic that there's still active discussion & work being done.

Is there a walkthrough or guide anyone can link to, or already posted in this thread?

I'm wondering if anyone is working on a walkthrough? I decided I would try to create one, as I have the time on my hands. I found a map someone had supplied, and have been tracking everything I can. I'd like to make a functional guide similar to the ones made by Prima, NP, & TPC. I've never made a game guide, but I have some experience in (very basic) graphic design. If Pia CRT or anyone can contribute with additional info such as storyline, gameplay, etc it would be greatly appreciated! I'll be scrubbing through this thread & forum, as well as others. If anything, it's a passion project I'll be doing for myself either way, but if I can do it justice, I'll be glad to eventually post it.

Thanks!

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Hi! New to the forum (as a user), and fairly new to fanbrew hacks. I've only played a few min into both the V1, and the most current Beta, but they're fantastic. I'm a purist with the old games, hence the name, and Pia Carrot's Orange hack is just the right amount of change in terms of design. I'm ecstatic that there's still active discussion & work being done.

Is there a walkthrough or guide anyone can link to, or already posted in this thread?

I'm wondering if anyone is working on a walkthrough? I decided I would try to create one, as I have the time on my hands. I found a map someone had supplied, and have been tracking everything I can. I'd like to make a functional guide similar to the ones made by Prima, NP, & TPC. I've never made a game guide, but I have some experience in (very basic) graphic design. If Pia CRT or anyone can contribute with additional info such as storyline, gameplay, etc it would be greatly appreciated! I'll be scrubbing through this thread & forum, as well as others. If anything, it's a passion project I'll be doing for myself either way, but if I can do it justice, I'll be glad to eventually post it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind comments, if you check out the discord server there is a project to make a Nintendo Power esque guide for Orange, its on halt since the game is being overhauled but the assets are there.

chumon

The Chu Monster
    Years
  • I only just discovered this hack and it looks really awesome! You've clearly put a lot of work into it and I cant wait to try it out. I'm also very excited to see the new overhaul you're working on. I hope things go smoothly for you in the process! <3

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Hello,

I really love your game, but I am stuck in the cave in Victory Road and am not sure how to progress. I also don't have Rock Climb and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have it already.

Any help would be appreciated so I can resume playing your game.

Thanks!

Andrew

That's been my experience since early last year as well (I actually decided to create an account just to respond to this). There's a point toward the end of victory road where there's no physical way to progress. I am guessing updates to the game have stopped since before the Elite 4 and the creator is still working on releasing one that lets you do the League and post game content.

I'm not sure how people are doing the Pokemon Movie 2000 stuff though. Maybe they explored more and were able to do it before Victory Road but I assumed that was a post game thing. Or maybe there's some experimental version with further updates but with bugs that need fixing. But the version that stops before the Elite 4 is the latest copy I was able to find last year, and I'm guessing it is still the latest copy if you're having the same issue a year later.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    First of all, thank you for this amazing work. This is up there with Crystal Clear and Inclement Emerald as not just my favorite hacks, but Pokémon games of all time. Anyway, had a few questions:

1. The Lycanroc glitch breaks my heart. I'm on the PSS beta. When the next stable release is out and I can hopefully get to use little Rocky, save data transfers should be pretty simple, right? Actually never updated a hack I was playing before, so sorry if it's a stupid question.

2. If it will become obvious through normal play, you don't have to answer this, but is Alolan Exeggutor present? Tried a few ways of evolving Exeggcute and it seems to just turn into the Kanto counterpart (say that five times fast). A. Exeggutor's my favorite guy of all time. Not Pokémon, just guy in general, I like him more than I do my friends and family, so I hope he's in this.

3. Does Crystal Onix/Steelix get STAB on anything? Pretty sure I've got the weaknesses and resistances down, but it'd be nice if someone could note those down as well.

4. Is Surf nerfed? Its power isn't displayed and it seems to do about the same or a little less than Bubblebeam.

Lastly, the only bug I haven't already seen reported, although it may have been: My Alolan Vulpix is weak to water, even though it's listed as an Ice type.

All the best, Flare

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • First of all, thank you for this amazing work. This is up there with Crystal Clear and Inclement Emerald as not just my favorite hacks, but Pokémon games of all time. Anyway, had a few questions:

1. The Lycanroc glitch breaks my heart. I'm on the PSS beta. When the next stable release is out and I can hopefully get to use little Rocky, save data transfers should be pretty simple, right? Actually never updated a hack I was playing before, so sorry if it's a stupid question.

2. If it will become obvious through normal play, you don't have to answer this, but is Alolan Exeggutor present? Tried a few ways of evolving Exeggcute and it seems to just turn into the Kanto counterpart (say that five times fast). A. Exeggutor's my favorite guy of all time. Not Pokémon, just guy in general, I like him more than I do my friends and family, so I hope he's in this.

3. Does Crystal Onix/Steelix get STAB on anything? Pretty sure I've got the weaknesses and resistances down, but it'd be nice if someone could note those down as well.

4. Is Surf nerfed? Its power isn't displayed and it seems to do about the same or a little less than Bubblebeam.

Lastly, the only bug I haven't already seen reported, although it may have been: My Alolan Vulpix is weak to water, even though it's listed as an Ice type.

All the best, Flare

1 + 2: While we fixed a lot of issues with forms, these fixes ended up introducing a lot of issues as well. The base is currently very unstable and it's built on very old (and unsupported) code so fixing is basically impossible at this point. See my earlier posts about Island Walker in regards to a stable release.

3. This will be changed to be an ability in Island Walker, but all Crystal Type does is weakness to fire and resistance to water.

4. Surf works like Return, so it's friendship based.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • That's been my experience since early last year as well (I actually decided to create an account just to respond to this). There's a point toward the end of victory road where there's no physical way to progress. I am guessing updates to the game have stopped since before the Elite 4 and the creator is still working on releasing one that lets you do the League and post game content.

I'm not sure how people are doing the Pokemon Movie 2000 stuff though. Maybe they explored more and were able to do it before Victory Road but I assumed that was a post game thing. Or maybe there's some experimental version with further updates but with bugs that need fixing. But the version that stops before the Elite 4 is the latest copy I was able to find last year, and I'm guessing it is still the latest copy if you're having the same issue a year later.

In all releases with victory road present its been able to be completed. It's possible if you are playing the patch titled Renaissance or Champion Beta you will not be able to go to Shamouti. The latest release is in the OP titled Movie 2000.
    IE. Skill issue

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    1 + 2: While we fixed a lot of issues with forms, these fixes ended up introducing a lot of issues as well. The base is currently very unstable and it's built on very old (and unsupported) code so fixing is basically impossible at this point. See my earlier posts about Island Walker in regards to a stable release.

3. This will be changed to be an ability in Island Walker, but all Crystal Type does is weakness to fire and resistance to water.

4. Surf works like Return, so it's friendship based.

Thanks for the quick response. Love what you did with Surf. Seems my Blastoise likes me better now too after testing it again :) So that's a no on A. Exeggutor being in current build (again, on the PSS beta), correct? I can still evolve my A. Vulpix at some point, right? Oh, and good luck with Island Walker, can't wait to play it <3

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Thanks for the quick response. Love what you did with Surf. Seems my Blastoise likes me better now too after testing it again :) So that's a no on A. Exeggutor being in current build (again, on the PSS beta), correct? I can still evolve my A. Vulpix at some point, right? Oh, and good luck with Island Walker, can't wait to play it <3

I wasnt aware that Exeggutor was broken but that is unfortunate if so. There's supposed to be a region check for Kanto that forces the form in evolution, and it sounds like it broke. You should be able to get ice stones off wild a. vulpix/sandshrew and evolve it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    Amazing, thanks. A. Exeggutor shows up in the dex but not when I evolve :( The sprite is gorgeous tho

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • While not final, and some changes can still be made over time with feedback, I have a good draft for the expanded Pokedex in Island Walker. It can be viewed here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MjbbVAf19ZFj-oOxgosFYthCrAFoZSyF10GDRNhzaj4/edit?usp=sharing

Engine progress is going well, we are adding Personality Value and trying to replicate the gen IV data structure as close as possible.

I have some ideas for what I want to do with some of the more out-there Pokemon like Marshadow (who has a Z-Move form that I would change to work more like Giratina's Griseous Orb), and Gimmighoul has a lot of different ways it can be implemented for evolution, rather than collecting 999 Gimmighoul Coins.

Anime style eggs are still on the menu and if we implement Manaphy's egg it shouldnt be hard to adapt for baby pokemon, so that I can finally add these bad boys:
    image.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    In all releases with victory road present its been able to be completed. It's possible if you are playing the patch titled Renaissance or Champion Beta you will not be able to go to Shamouti. The latest release is in the OP titled Movie 2000.
    IE. Skill issue

You are absolutely right with it being a skill issue. I missed the ledge on the second floor you can jump from near the guy that says "Good luck, kid". I got in my own head back then and because I knew it wasn't a finished rom hack, I assumed that was the stopping point with how there was a perfect wall north of the guy blocking the path onward. Completely missed the little loop to the right of him that got me to that ledge. Well now I'm excited to finish the main game and do the Movie 2000 event! My apologies for claiming it was unfinished at Victory Road.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2023
    Hi there, lively work!

Does the beta version in the releases tab include the Movie 2000 event, or should I download the patched linked in the main post for that?

Years
  • Just completed the Movie 2000 version; generally a very enjoyable game apart from some bugs. I will list the bugs below.

• Steel-types resist Dark-type moves, and potentially Ghost-type moves as well. But they shouldn't. I assume this is an oversight.
    • The move relearner at Ascorbia Island shows all moves as physical, even if most of them are in fact special or status.
    • Hall of Fame (1-time famer) section shows all my mons as female. But I had only one female mon by the time I entered into the Hall of Fame; the others were all male.

Also, this is a personal annoyance, but consider adding a nurse or a Pokémon Center between Kumquat and Pummelo, preferably right before Victory Road, if possible. I had a very hard time passing through the Victory Road while keeping my mons at high enough health.

Finally, where are the legendary Pokémon Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Latias, Latios, Marshadow? Are all of them unavailable in the current version? I could not see them in the wild Pokémon location file.

Back