• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hacking - What does it mean to you?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Yeah but editing the game data for a completely new game (Eg shiny gold) is called emulating i think. They are two different things.

Oh and akaxrai, i saw paramore on monday (Sorry to go off-topic but it was awesome :))

You're so lucky you saw Paramore =D

Anyway, it's ROM hacking, and it's pretty much creating an entirely new and altered game, so I don't think it necessarily counts as "hacking," in terms of in-game hacking (using AR and such).

*PrincessPika-chu*

Pokemon Lover
    Years
  • Hacking to me is using codes to get stats for pokemon that they can't even get-like 999 each stat. I also define hacking as giving pokemon moves that they cannot learn, like Charizard having thunder or water pulse. I don't define hacking as getting pokemon like Mew, Celebi, or Jirachi, because you cannot get them unless you go to a pokemon event, which only takes place in New York here in the US. I also define hacking as anything the trainer can easily do without the help of a cheating device if they do not know how-for example ev training. I understand if one knows how to ev train and does if often and wants to ev a lot of pokemon, and manually does it himself without the help of a AR most of the time. I understand that. That is a fast break. I believe that hacking should be done in situations where you know that something is impossible, like getting Mew, not Darkrai and them-not until the events are released.

***I heard on a website that it is impossible to discover all the mysteries of pokemon, like Oak says, without a device like GS and Ar. That is true, since getting some pokemon is impossible. (Lugia, Ho-oh, Mew, Jirachi, Celebi)

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
  • Well, read the title for the basic point of this, but I'll ask again anyway.

What does the word hacking mean to you? what qualifies as cheating/hacking? have you ever cheated/hacked (it's ok if this one goes unanswered, i don't have to know) I don't need the dictionary definition, but more, what do you count as cheating/hacking?

For me, hacking means to cheat your character and pokemon, to give yourself uber-high levels or super-easy catches. hacking, to me, is giving the unfair advantage to yourself.

what qualfies as hacking? well, Stat/level-raising codes are a prime example of hacking. The same goes for the use of codes to obtain massive quantites of any item, no matter how weak or harmless the item may be. Using codes that activate the special events (like darkrai, shaymin, arceus, and manaphy) don't qualify to me, as long as they are captured legitimately (meaning without using a code to give yourself masterballs or the like)

have i ever hacked/cheated? you betcha. I used to cheat on ruby all the time, just for the heck of it. never on dP, though. (and, as you know, i don't qualify event pokes as hacked) i do have my hands on all four DP events and all five for emerald (yes, five. including latios.)

so, you've heard my point. What about you? if you have anything to say, say it.

I won't even trade with someone who as traded with a hacked game before. I think you can pretty much guess what I am like. >.>

Commander_Latios

The man of Eternal Boredom...
    Years
  • i see... well, stay away from me, then. as you obviously read, i used to mess around with codes on ruby just because i was bored and decided to see what i could do by messing with things.

naturally, that stopped once I entered a whole 'nother dimension of hacking. This particular dimension has it's own section on this site and everything. Rom Hacking. A much better way to keep myself entertained, if I do say so meself.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2008
    hey im new here second day need alot of post thou but t me hacking is pretty much doing what you want to feel better in a game instead of working hard and just playing right like everyone else althou i hack a my game because i lost my data and need to get back to where i was then i took my pokemon lv 100 breed them and started raising them but yeah of subject lol hacking is part of gamers not gud ones but gamers

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
  • i see... well, stay away from me, then. as you obviously read, i used to mess around with codes on ruby just because i was bored and decided to see what i could do by messing with things.

naturally, that stopped once I entered a whole 'nother dimension of hacking. This particular dimension has it's own section on this site and everything. Rom Hacking. A much better way to keep myself entertained, if I do say so meself.

Oh, don't worrie!

I used to hack on my old GBA games, I am re-buying them all to trade with Diamond. :)

Ho-oh arabia

Yeah, i started the fire.
    Years
  • there are certain divisions of hacking, and many people do not approve of it. I for one do not like FAKE or ABNORMALLY generated pokemon, but I find it PERFECTLY OK to hack an event item to get an event. I lived in Canada, and got NOTHING WAT SO EVER! making a pokemon invincible with max stats is totally unfair, yet people should really relax on the whole hacking deal. As wise man once said, ITS JUST A FRICKIN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    I think that hacking is just stupid
    In my pokemon fire red version i always used so many hacks when i completed it i used hacks like going to naval rock and birth island and i used so many rare candy cheats and pokemon encounters and guess what? i got bored of the game.
    And also in my pokemon emerald i used hacks is well like a shiny pokemon encounter and i when i used it all it did was corrupt my progress.

You know i never bothred migrating my Fire red pokemon to diamond since its just stupid. And plus im better off getting pokemon fair and square, Id rather have a good progress in the end rather then just being dum by using gameshark or action replay.

~SunnyDay~

Grawr!
    Years
  • Hmm, hacking to me is using devices outside of the game to get what you want inside of the game. Whether it be pokemon, events, items, or what have you.

I think it's wrong to an extent. I have never done it, to be completely honest. I've always played my games to 100% fairness. I see why people would use hacks to get events though, as it is unfair to some because of the exclusiveness of the events. IV and EV hacking are completely wrong though.

As stated earlier, i suppose hacks that dont directly effect the flow of battle are okay to a degree.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2008
    I dont mind pokemon encounter codes as they just help you find you favorite pokemon but I am against codes you use during battle.

Years
  • I personally hate hacking of all kinds. I recently found out a valuable pokemon of mine (received in an organised trade) was hacked. It is a form of deception to give someone a hacked poke, when I'm giving a legit pokemon in return. It is slightly embarrassing to find out during another trade, that the pokemon you are offering around or have previously traded is a fake.

p.s I'm sorry if I have traded anyone a hack, I genuinely can't tell, but I do try and look up the stats and details of the poke before offering. Also sorry if I have gone slightly off topic.

Squeenix

Meow
    Years
  • I think hacking is ok, I actually just to play around with my friends and to check iv's and stuff.
    But if a pokemon has 31 of each IV its like wutever it only got 5 more speed than a regular person.
    However what i'm really against is stat and wg hacking.
    I hate when i'm battling on wifi and see a spiritomb with wonderguard.
    However I find hacking acceptable as long s its within the limits of the game. Eg, looks like legit lvl 100 Jolteon is good
    But wg spiritomb = stupid

MurdaRisk

Ninja Assassin
    Years
  • When I hear someone has a hacked pokemon, I think it is cheating and they are uber like TC said, but to me hacking is the only way to get some event pokemon! So if you hack to get a pokemon YOU HAVE NO WAY OF GETTING and it is at a lvl 1 with 1 in stats it sounds more than ok to me :D

I cant find the event ones I want because of the no hack rule :(

Loto

Fear Nuckle!
    Years
  • If your using action replay to get pokemon that are possible to get, have completly legit movesets, iv's and ev's then I don't care and it's fine by me if you do it.

Some people just don't have enough time to do a week of breeding just to get 3 perfect IV's and such but these people want to do competitive battling which is why they hack for pokemon that are possible to get in game. Also these pokemon never get traded or anything.

I am NOT fine with people hacking and trading these hacked pokemon or hacking and getting something impossible Ie: Pokemon with 252 in all ev's, hacked movesets, hacked pokemon ability's that they wouldn't normally have.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I add 'glitch exploitation' to the list too.

I dont see why you would need to. There are very few glitches in the game that can give you an unfair advantage. Most are just convenient.

Darkrayz

The (Un)Official Name Rater
    Years
  • To me hacking means when geeks or nerds use a hacking system to actually change the whole game. or another one is when people use cheat cartridges(Action Replay) to cheat in the game. The main part of a game is the complete is by using your Brain not by using cheats etc

Back