• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hacking - What does it mean to you?

Commander_Latios

The man of Eternal Boredom...
    Years
    Well, read the title for the basic point of this, but I'll ask again anyway.

What does the word hacking mean to you? what qualifies as cheating/hacking? have you ever cheated/hacked (it's ok if this one goes unanswered, i don't have to know) I don't need the dictionary definition, but more, what do you count as cheating/hacking?

For me, hacking means to cheat your character and pokemon, to give yourself uber-high levels or super-easy catches. hacking, to me, is giving the unfair advantage to yourself.

what qualfies as hacking? well, Stat/level-raising codes are a prime example of hacking. The same goes for the use of codes to obtain massive quantites of any item, no matter how weak or harmless the item may be. Using codes that activate the special events (like darkrai, shaymin, arceus, and manaphy) don't qualify to me, as long as they are captured legitimately (meaning without using a code to give yourself masterballs or the like)

have i ever hacked/cheated? you betcha. I used to cheat on ruby all the time, just for the heck of it. never on dP, though. (and, as you know, i don't qualify event pokes as hacked) i do have my hands on all four DP events and all five for emerald (yes, five. including latios.)

so, you've heard my point. What about you? if you have anything to say, say it.

Last edited:

Supreme Dirt

used Petal Dance
    Years
    • Age 32
    • o3o
    • Seen Dec 4, 2014
    Hacking, to me, is creating a pokemon with above normal stats to get an unfair advantage over someone.
    I am perfectly fine with event-activation (as Canada has NEVER gotten an event) and pokemon encounter codes and items cheated into the game, because they give no advantage. No matter what the level the caught Pokemon is, you still need to EV train it and it might have crap IVs.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2010
    I think that it is ok to hack for items that allow you to go to the place that the Pokemon is located at. However, I am aganst random encounter codes.

Still, everyone should make sure that the person you are trading with knows how you got the Pokemon if it was recived by anthing other that natural means.

demonmike

Missing-Nin
    Years
    Its pretty tricky, but hacking is pretty much anything that shouldnt be happening in the game, but accessed through software, cheating hardware and such to me. By software, I mean Pokesav and any other save editor.

Im not fully against it though, people have the right to do what they want, but the right is only that they have it localized within their own game. We dont want your hacks clogging up GTS, we dont want your hacks deceiving us into thinking their legit Pokemon when we want to play the game properly and get them in trades.

Hacking can be fun, in my spare DP copy, I mess around with it with Pokesav and the like, but nothing leaves that game, nothing goes in the game from other games.

But one hack I am totally for is enabling flags for event Pokemon if you missed the event and it wont be happening again. Cause seriously, we pay money for this stuff, why the heck pay more money travelling to events to get content that exists on your game to finally be accesible anyways?

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    Practically my cousins whole DP game is hacked. It's crazy. All his legendaries are hacked (even Dialga, which he could have easily got in game) and most of his other Pokemon are too. He uses unlimited masterballs. I don't see how the game is fun for him.

If someone hacks Pokemon I don't really care. It tells me that they are lazy though. And as long as they don't scam someone off with the Pokemon I'm fine with it.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    To me hacking is when I see pokemon with reallly high stats....
    The only time I ever cheat was in my red/blue version doing the duplicate code for 100 rare candies and thats about it...

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I've hacked Pokemon before, I admit, but I've never migrated them to D/P, battled with them, or even traded them. It's something I did but I'd never share because then, it wouldn't be fun anymore. Hacking, for me, is anything you would need to use a Gameshark, AR, or Pokesav for because one doesn't really merit from the game. Illegit items and Pokemon don't seem fulfilling to me at all.

Commander_Latios

Years
    I've hacked Pokemon before, I admit, but I've never migrated them to D/P, battled with them, or even traded them. It's something I did but I'd never share because then, it wouldn't be fun anymore. Hacking, for me, is anything you would need to use a Gameshark, AR, or Pokesav for because one doesn't really merit from the game. Illegit items and Pokemon don't seem fulfilling to me at all.

that's mostly true, but, as i've said before, there are exceptions. take a look at me. I'm liable to never make it to an event at all. would it be fair to me for other people to get things out of their game that i don't have a chance at? that's why I'm all for the enabling of events. but catch 'em fairly, or you're a cheater. and that's what I REALLY dislike.

i dont like hacking, cause it could erase your file.

like shiny umbreon said, only if you're careless or have no clue how to do it safely.

That's only if you have no idea of what you are doing.

Hacking means using an external device to alter your game, even if it's something you can do legally.

that's true.... i guess i said it wrong, then.

Cheating is bad. We say no to it (like pirates ;)) but what qualifies as it? All cheating in pokemon is hacking (or glitching, but this becomes less common nowadays) but is all hacking cheating? that's the question to be answered.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    that's mostly true, but, as i've said before, there are exceptions. take a look at me. I'm liable to never make it to an event at all. would it be fair to me for other people to get things out of their game that i don't have a chance at? that's why I'm all for the enabling of events. but catch 'em fairly, or you're a cheater. and that's what I REALLY dislike.

Personally, I'd rather like to trade for event Pokes (I'm Canadian, so we never ever get events), because I like to look for them :3 But to each his own~ ^^
    Events, please come to Canada D:

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    Cheating is bad. We say no to it (like pirates ;)) but what qualifies as it? All cheating in pokemon is hacking (or glitching, but this becomes less common nowadays) but is all hacking cheating? that's the question to be answered.

I guess hacking is hacking. Even if you hack to get a Pokémon with these IVs: 31 / 29 / 28 / 14 / 30 / 27
    That's because you didn't breed it yourself. You're just saving time in an illegit way.

That's just what I think. And I'm against abusing glitches the same way.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    There's a limit on what kind of hacking you can do. If you're hacking IVs, moves they don't learn, abilities, and nature, then that is unacceptable. But if you hack for normal IV'd Pokemon to use in breeding or you hack for TMs, then I think that's acceptable. There's nothing wrong with hacking as long as it doesn't directly affect the outcome of the battle.

Commander_Latios

Years
    I guess hacking is hacking. Even if you hack to get a Pokémon with these IVs: 31 / 29 / 28 / 14 / 30 / 27
    That's because you didn't breed it yourself. You're just saving time in an illegit way.

That's just what I think. And I'm against abusing glitches the same way.

hail to that. that's the cheating kind of hacking that everyone hates.

There's a limit on what kind of hacking you can do. If you're hacking IVs, moves they don't learn, abilities, and nature, then that is unacceptable. But if you hack for normal IV'd Pokemon to use in breeding or you hack for TMs, then I think that's acceptable. There's nothing wrong with hacking as long as it doesn't directly affect the outcome of the battle.

To an extent, I agree. The TM's is the main part i'm inclined to say no to. other than that, you're right. I'll admit i've hacked myself a few breeders on emerald. after all, i never intended them to show up in battles (or in DP at all, for that matter) but mostly to breed my team o' death.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    The definition of hacking video games is to influence the game data via an external source. That what i go by.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    The definition of hacking video games is to influence the game data via an external source. That what i go by.

Same. If I need AR, Gameshark, or Pokesav to do what I want to do, then I consider it cheating. D:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I think hacking in ways is two things...

For making games, like shiny gold and what not, they're helping out the community to have fun. Which I am perfectly ok with. In terms of Pokemon games like D/P, I tend to look down on it as cheating and laziness, when most of us work so hard that they can make something in 15 minutes. :/

When I first hear the word hacking, I think of laziness, though when in the form of helping the community have fun and play things that ar well made, im glad for hacking in that case. Though, AR, I wish never existed. I hacked my gold once, and havn't hacked since, I'm 100% clean these days, and proud of it! :D

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Yeah but editing the game data for a completely new game (Eg shiny gold) is called emulating i think. They are two different things.

Oh and akaxrai, i saw paramore on monday (Sorry to go off-topic but it was awesome :))

Back