• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Harder than usual?

Are Pokemon Black and White harder than the other games?

• It IS Harder.

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • It is easier.

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • It's about the same.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I NEED MOAR.

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
Years
  • The Elite Four is more challenging, both times that you challenge them. Cynthia is wayy challenging.

The second gym-Lenora/Aloe's Gym is insanely difficult being the second gym.

So yea, generally it's more difficult.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2011
    Yeah, the wild battles are easier while catcing wild pokemon is INSANELY hard to do. It took me 10 great balls and 4 pokeballs to catch Victini.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Oh it's definitely harder. For the first time since I was six, Victory road is ACTUALLY difficult (I hate you, Durant)

Years
  • I found it started off hard as I was in a pokecentre after every battle but after Lenora (who I would argue is the hardest Gym Leader to date) the game got easy. I just beat Skyla and without doing any grinding of any sort all 4 of my pokemon were 6-8 levels higher than her.
    N is a disappointingly weak trainer as well :(

Years
  • I think Black and White is harder than the past games. I found out one thing that changed. Gaining experience. Let me explain.

In the past, if you fight a Pokemon, you get a fixed number of points per Pokemon per level. Let's say, if you fight a Lv. 6 Pokemon in the past games, you get a set number of points. However in this one, let's say you battle a Lv. 4 Pokemon with your Lv. 5 Starter and get 40 EXP. Later, you fight that same Pokemon at Lv. 4, but your Starter is at Lv. 9, the EXP you gain this time drops. And if you got a Pokemon that takes forever to level up and you don't want to fight it out on the next route with Pokemon at a higher level, you'll be fighting for much longer. ><

Better be happy Nurse Joy doesn't charge you for using the Pokemon Center more often. I had two Pokemon I caught faint at Route 2 at least five times. ><

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Maybe it's a bit harder, yes... I haven't found a Pokemon game challenging in a long time but it does feel harder. I think Red and Blue were the hardest for me because I always chose Charmander and it took HOURS to beat Brock

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    The gym leaders were a bit challenging in the very beginning for me. I also think critical hits happen often yet they always happen when they hit my pokémon. -.-

The wild pokémon are also higher in level and are more closely in level to my pokémon and in gen 4 I didn't really have that problem. So yeah, in some ways it is a bit more challenging or hard. But, I don't mind a challenge.

Catching pokémon seems more difficult. It seems like nothing will stay in a pokéball or great ball for me. :/ Even with status effects and little HP.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
  • I'd say Black & White is defiantly more challenging than previous generations, but not by a lot. It is still relatively easy in terms of overall gameplay.
    I think it is just the abundance of battles and slightly smarter AI.

As for gaining EXP? Too easy when you can just grind Audino in about any area. At least it makes it easier to raise newly captured Pokemon's levels.

Years
  • I feel like the jump in difficulty to me is that it's slightly more difficult to get ahead in levels than in previous games. If you don't train, you WILL fall behind, and that's where the difficulty comes from.

The varying type combinations and surprising movepools also add a little surprise, but once you know what's coming it's easy to adapt to.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I find it harder!!

The puzzles in the gyms are really difficult to solve!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Is everyone actually serious? I didn't think I'd become a world class trainer since the 4th gen...but wow I must be if everyone else is finding it difficult. O_O

Pokemon White seems to be much easier than the previous generation to me. I'm not completely finished though...so the final gym and the elite four might change my mind a little...but up to this point it hasn't really put me in a pickle. I'm still enjoying it a lot though. In fact I'm enjoying Unova more than Sinnoh.

The biggest challenge for me comes from the trainers and making my way through the locations. Those Sigilyph are probably the toughest pokemon I've fought in the game so far. Even super effective moves don't seem to effect them much. Near the start of the game the wild pokemon were more troubling than the gym leaders/rivals. (darn those Tympole mobs...)

The Gym leaders have been quite the cakewalk, Burgh only ever hit my pokemon once (cause his Leavanny was faster than mine) and Brycen didn't hit my pokemon at all. (or had the chance to would be more accurate) The others weren't too bad either. Elesa and Skyla were bordering on somewhat irritating but I still managed to beat the first time around.

It did feel a bit near the start that it was harder to catch pokemon, the first two pokemon I tried to catch (Patrat and Lillipup) escaped their pokeballs even though they were in the red...

Last edited:

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    At the start of the game, I found the difficulty curve was quite steep. It was never anywhere near game-breaking, but the levels of trainers always seemed to be quite a bit higher than mine. But by the time I beat Lenora, I found myself about 3-8 levels ahead of most trainers in each area. Plus by that point, type advantages have kicked in and the game became standard Pokemon difficulty. It seems that the post game areas have quite a level spike though.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    One thing I am finding a bit difficult though, is getting to grips with triple battles. I can win them....but I usually lose about 2-3 of my pokemon before I do.

Kunny

Caterpie's a boss
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    Lol.

It is MUCH easier.. I wish it was harder

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • I've found it slightly harder too -- I've also noticed the fact they expect you to level up your Pokemon faster.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm finding it about the same, to be honest. :/ Then again, I traded in a bunch of Pokémon so maybe that's why White is pretty easy for me. xD; I remember Black (my first one) being a bit harder but nothing ridiculous. I think gym two (in both playthroughs) was the only one I really struggled against.

Back