• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Hardest Pokemon to catch in RBYG & GSC

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
  • This is the 1st Generation of Pokemon The hardest Pokemon to catch in RBYG is in the safari zone(Kangaskhan). The hardest Pokemon to catch in GSC is a 3 of the legi dogs.

:t003:Dark Venusaur

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I'd say the hardest Pokémon to catch in the R/B/Y games is Chansey. It took me even longer to find it than it took to find Kangashkan and it broke free of the ball and ran away before I even got my second turn -.-
    The hardest Pokémon for me to catch in the G/S/C games was actually Scyther in the bug catching contest. It always takes me forever to find it and to weaken it without fainting it too can be pretty hard even with a weak Pokémon, not to mention it almost always breaks out from the ball >.<

Years
  • Can't Chansey be caught outside of the Safari Zone as well? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you can get it in the Unknown Dungeon in R/B, or Y, or both, I can't remember.

So...for R/B/Y the Safari Zone does indeed hold the hardest Pokemon to capture:

Tauros: He's way more common in Yellow, than in R/B, so I wouldn't give him the hardest award.
    Kangaskan: I seem to run into these all the time, not sure how their hardness to catch would compare, though.
    Scyther: I got one pretty easily in Fr, and I doubt there's any difficulty difference between R anf Fr.
    Pinsir: Haven't played Blue in ages. >< Last time I did, though, I just saved up the money and bought it with coins. The way I see it, if there's an alternate way to get a Pokemon, it doesn't count on hardness.

And in my original Red file, I just did the Safari/Seafoam trick, so none of the Safari Zone Pokemon gave me much trouble. :P

G/S/C: Raikou gave me more trouble than Entei--I actually got Entei down to 1 HP and asleep and finally snagged him with a Heavy Ball. Raikou I also got to 1 HP, but I had to use the Master Ball.
    And one thing, before R/S/E came around, Level 70 Pokemon were insanely hard to capture. So I give Lugia and Ho-oh some credit as well.

~Chibi~

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    In both of the games trying to catch a snorlax with a Pokeball would be the hardest Pokemon to catch for me.

Kataphraktoi

Prince
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    Chansey is in the unknown dungeon at level 64(?)

It and kangkasken were both easy to catch for me, probably just lucky. Hardest one to catch~johto dogs.

It@chi Bl@st

Lone Trainer
    Years
  • In G/S/C, Chansey and the three Dogs are the hardest Pokemon to catch...also in the R/B/Y, Chansey and the three birds are the hardest to catch...

Twilight Itachi X

Twilight X. The ultimate.
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 17, 2008
    Hardest ones for me are Chansey in the Safari Zone, the legendary birds on R/B/G/Y, on G/S/C the legendary dogs without master balls.

Pokemon Trainer Sarah

~AAML Forever~
    Years
  • I found Tauros the hardest to catch in RBY, I had completely finished my Pokedex in Blue version except for Tauros, and I was never able to catch one. Coming in second would be Kangaskhan, as Chansey could be caught outside the Safari Zone.

For GSC, I'd say Raikou, Entei and Suicune, followed by Lv 70. Lugia/Ho-Oh.

espeongirl

I am the light in darkness
    Years
  • G/S/C I found (call me crazy) I found weedle a pain in the arse to catch! Every time I got it down to like 4 hp I used a pokeball I didnt work then I decided to use an ultra ball it didnt work.Can any one tell my why that happened. also I finally caught it ( wasting 6 ultraballs in the process)

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    Chansey was a killer to find in GSC, I didn't even think it existed in the games until after a very long time, and even with that knowledge it was still a tough catch.

Back