• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anyone noticed - First wild encounter

Kyther

Pokemon Freedom Developer
Years
  • Hey PC!

I was wondering if anyone has noticed that the very first wild encounter you have seems to be a Pidgey every time? I have both versions, and seen the start of three let's plays and all of them, the first wild encounter is a Pidgey. Although the gender and level varies.

Kyther

Years
  • Ture they are common. Forgot to say too, that it always happens in the second row of the first patch of grass too. As everyone that I have watched, and myself, just walks straight.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    It's just probability, it's not 100% guaranteed. There's a very high encounter rate of Pidgey in the early routes.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    In both my X and Y, my first encounters were Scatterbugs. So definitely just coincidence.

Kyther

Years
  • Alright then. Just my luck. I will see if it continues for when I restart X, when I can finally trade over the Charizardite X mega stone to Y.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
  • I have to admit, I've noticed this myself. Second row of the first patch of grass, a wild Pidgey appears. It's happened in all 4 of the games I've started, and I was chalking it up to coincidence, but maybe there really is something to what you're saying...

Years
  • I don't remember my first wild Pokemon in any of my games... though the first wild pokemon you see certainly isn't going to change the whole game or anything.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I don't remember my first wild Pokemon in any of my games... though the first wild pokemon you see certainly isn't going to change the whole game or anything.

It does change things actually, the first pokémon that's really common in EVERY main game (as far as I know) is either Pidgey or one of the Pidgey replacements that started appearing in later games. The reason this makes a difference is that Pidgey & it's crew are PURE speed EVs... which is why I tend to spend a while leveling up early game.

I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but if you were going to give the best UNIVERSAL EVs to any pokémon a trainer may have in their party, it would be speed. It seems that pappa/mamma Gamefreak are looking after us early game. :D

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • It does change things actually, the first pokémon that's really common in EVERY main game (as far as I know) is either Pidgey or one of the Pidgey replacements that started appearing in later games. The reason this makes a difference is that Pidgey & it's crew are PURE speed EVs... which is why I tend to spend a while leveling up early game.

I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but if you were going to give the best UNIVERSAL EVs to any pokémon a trainer may have in their party, it would be speed. It seems that pappa/mamma Gamefreak are looking after us early game. :D
    Also, early game atk evs are more Common than sp.atk evs . This makes me choose a physical starter everytime XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    It does change things actually, the first pokémon that's really common in EVERY main game (as far as I know) is either Pidgey or one of the Pidgey replacements that started appearing in later games. The reason this makes a difference is that Pidgey & it's crew are PURE speed EVs... which is why I tend to spend a while leveling up early game.

After I discovered EV training, I began to spend a lot of time battling Pidgey in each new playthrough of LeafGreen to get some speed EVs. :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2015
    I am almost 100% certain that it is guaranteed to be Pidgey the first time. I have seen at least three let's plays of X and Y, as well as played through them both for myself, restarting Y at least 4 times now (for starters and other exclusives, as well as duplicate items), with each game having a Pidgey as the first encounter.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • I've started my games quite a few times and each and every time without fail it's been Pidgey in the 2nd line of grass. So I dunno, maybe there is something to it!

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I noticed this as well. Each play through ive done, ive encountered a pidgey first, after which the encounter rate for Pidgeys seems to be lower than other pokemon on that route, making it hard to find the right one lol

But yes, I do believe its more than coincidence.

Back