• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Has anyone noticed the overabundance of bird Pokemon in B/W?

dizzyKitty

The Confuzzled Coding Cat
    Years
    I mean, think about it. You've got a dove (Pidove), pheasants (Tranquill, Unfezent), a winged glyph/rune-type fellow (Sigilyph, perhaps a debatable bird, but I included him anyway), Archeopteryxes (Archen, Archeops), a duck (Ducklett) a swan (Swanna), vultures (Vullaby, Mandibuzz) and hawks (Rufflet, Braviary). That's twelve in all. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed someone, so feel free to speak up if I did.

Has anyone noticed the overabundance of bird Pokemon in B/W?

Flying-type trainers, eat your heart out. :D

Are Pokemon creators running out of ideas? What do you think of the new bird pokemon designs? I was a fan of Braviary from the get-go and I'm looking forward to also training a Mandibuzz (as it's a bit of a namesake, being Mandi-chan!).

Thoughts?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    This is another reason why I love Unova. Flying types are my forte.
    -squeeee!-

I dont think the creators are running out of ideas, these are getting more creative within each generation. I never thought that Game Freak would put a Vulture into the game. <3 Braviary

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i actually dont think that is very many bird types but then again i like bird types so i dont mind. if i am thinking right thats about how many other gens have. or maybe not idk

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    You could argue that Sigilyph isn't technically a bird. It's supposed to be the Pseudo bird right? Which means it's not actually a bird.

I don't mind how many birds there are....you could also say it's not as obvious because four of those birds are specific to different versions (Rufflet, Braviary, Vullaby and Mandibuzz)

The pokemon creators are not running out of ideas, of that I'm certain....is it going to take until the 20th gen when the pokemon team are still coming out with new ideas for pokemon that they're not running out of ideas and always have been doing so?

Pretty sure people have been saying that since the 2nd gen, if it was true we definitely would not be at the 5th gen now.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Compare that to the seemingly endless amount of grass types and you'll be surprised.

Snivy, Servine, Serperior, Pansage, Simisage, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Leavanny, Cottonee, Whimisicott, Petilil, Lilligant, Maractus, Deerling, Sawsbuck Foongus, Amoonguss, Ferroseed, Ferrothorn and Virizion. Just seems like a hell of a lot. And bug types too. This region seems to have placed less importance on the most common water types and experimented with the least common types.

I do like that there's a lot more choices in birds/flying types though though, but you also have to consider the fact that B/W has added the most amount of Pokemon to the PokeDex than any other generation. So, due to that, more type variety is expected.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    This gen definitely evened out the types that had less Pokemon. Grass, Bug and Flying had major focuses, with a lot less water types. :P Unfortunately most of the Grass, Bug and Flying types are rather weak competitively due to the fact that they are Grass, Bug and Flying type.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I was surprised when I learned that there were 12 bird Pokemon in B/W. The only problem is deciding which one to use as a Fly slave (I already made up my mind with Archeos).

Years
    I don't know how many water types the new generation Pokemon have, but that was my main beef with the Gen IV Pokemon. Too many water types. In contrast, there were only a handful of Fire types. Just Chimchar and its evolutions and Heatran.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I don't know how many water types the new generation Pokemon have, but that was my main beef with the Gen IV Pokemon. Too many water types. In contrast, there were only a handful of Fire types. Just Chimchar and its evolutions and Heatran.
    You forgot Magmortar :(
    Yeah there does have to have be more fire types...this gen we have
    Victini,Reshiram,the starter, the Fire ape that changes forms and it's pre evo, the chandelier pokemon...and a couple others I've provably forgot about...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think Staravia and Wargle are the strongest bird pokemon out there...well other than the legendary birds of Kanto and Johto of course ^-^
    I still think they could have added more bird pokemon though...

Spacial Sage

i don't care if you don't.
    Years

This isn't a bird so much as it is a raptor, mainly a deinonychus with elements of a velociraptor and an oviraptor.

This is an unown on steroids nazca bird thing. It's barely a bird if one at all.

RulerArceus

的なインターネッ? ??の最高級!
    Years
    What?Flying types aren't neglected! GHOST TYPES ARE NEGLECTED!
    Seriously, it's the least popular type, taking up 4.16% of all pokemon.
    4.16%.
    Flying pokemon are the 3rd most COMMON type(12.94%).
    Yeah, they get more pokemon, but what about those poor undead ones?They have almost no friends compared to the other types:'(.
    So yeah, sorry about that.Plus, anyway, if they added 12(You forgot Tornelos) that means there was 72 flying types before.So they don't seem very neglected even before this Gen.
    EAT IT.
    ¬RulerArceus

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Would you really call it overabundance? We've seen lacks of several types, but we've always had a fair bunch of flying type Pokémon in each generation. We've also had neglected grass types, almost NO fire types (in Diamond and Pearl) and…

I think this generation had a lot of balance in its types with all the new Pokémon it introduced.
    Agreed. There are also a lot more steel types in this generatioin. 149 new pokemon, 17 types, at least families with that type. Kudos to Generation 5.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    they still have to balance out fire types with the other types...actually I think we might have more dragons now than fire pokemon...
    No we have 48 Fire types compared to 29 Dragon Types. So if anything needs to be balanced out of these two it would be Dragon.

Actually there are 17 Water Types in Unova to 14 in Sinnoh. If I counted that right.

As for the topic at hand there does not seem to be an overabundance of Bird type pokemon in Unova.

There are at least a 11 pure bird types in Kanto, so is that too much? Its just about as much as Unova. And if you count Psyduck and Golduck bird pokemon since they are part duck then you would have 13 which is even more then Unova.

Back