• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has Paul become boring?

Vernikova

Banned
Years
  • I was looking through TVTropes when I came up on Boring Invincible Villain where I saw that Paul was listed. Anyway, I read the description for Paul and some of the things listed there are actually pretty accurate. He hasn't really developed from when we first saw him, I don't think he's developed much at all honestly, and even after multiple attempts at him being humiliated by Cynthia and Brandon, he shows almost no change in the way he acts. He's been boring me since at least the Grotle evolution episode and I'm starting to dread every episode he shows his face in.

So, do you think he's become a boring character? Or maybe even a Boring Invincible Villain Rival?

Emotion.

Mentally Burning Rainbow.
    Years
  • He's been rather boring since day one, Gary was the only half decent rival, the others were so interesting I can't even remember them.
    It's predictable what will happen, he'll lose to Ash in the league then change his ways.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • Gary only changed after his defeat during the Indigo League. I liked him a whole lot better after he reappeared after the Orange League.

As for Paul: indeed, he hasn't changed much since the start of DP. Which I wonder what the writers are planning to do with Paul. Boring? not really, but I could do without his cold attitude.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Gary Oak was awesome and hilarious...but paul he really isn't he's like a anime version of Shadow the hedgehog XD

ShadowYashi

A secret makes a woman a woman
    Years
  • Ehhh I don't think he has.

I like when Paul shows up, because he's different from all of Ash's other rivals. He's hellbent on making his Pokemon strong enough so he won't make the (what he thinks) same mistake as his brother. He's rude to Ash and just about everyone except for the adults, he can't even remember Dawn's name XD He's just. . . well he's a change from every other rivals that Ash has had in the past (Ritchie, Morrison, Tyson etc. . .) and that's what I like about him, because he's not a nice guy, he's a jerk, he's not evil, just an a**hole. He's tough when it comes to training and can be pretty ruthless in battle and despite the fact that he lost to two very powerful figures in the show (Cynthia and Brandon), nothing about his personality changed, he'll just train some more and vow to beat them (I guess. . . or something like that) and he can still be a bastard to Ash, kick his butt and not care! Its great. I love it and Paul is one of the reasons why I watch the show, because he makes the episodes he's in interesting, its fun to see Ash get riled up and then knocked down a few pegs every now and then, especially by the guy who he thinks is doing it wrong.

Gary. . . I liked him when he was haughty and I like him now, I dunno its Gary Oak, he's like just that awesome.

Twisted Cuteness

Always a team
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Personally, I like him the way he is. It's about time they came up with someone like that. So no, to me he's far from boring.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Perhaps "Boring" was the wrong word. Lookin' back, the question would make better sense as:

Do you think Paul is too static?

That would make more sense with my opening post.

Back