• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Has your internal battery died yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    YESYESYES!! THank you soooo much I'm gonna try that.
    Yeah, I guess there really was no point in trying to find one that worked...that's probably why the games were there in the first place.

Haha anytime, Im here to help with w/e I can. ;P

And I agree with you there, lol I wasn't surprised when I bought that second copy when it wa just worth $9 and It didn't work. Gamestop doesn't check if games work if they are handheld, they just put a sticker and price on it immediately.

I once bought a used copy of Sapphire which was halfway through the game with the most ridiculous pokemon party EVER.

Last edited:

psychopath002

Bronze League: Fire Gym
    Years
    My sapphire version's internal battery has run dry if that means the same thing...
    All it does is get rid of clock based events

Years
    Haha anytime, Im here to help with w/e I can. ;P

And I agree with you there, lol I wasn't surprised when I bought that second copy when it wa just worth $9 and It didn't work. Gamestop doesn't check if games work if they are handheld, they just put a sticker and price on it immediately.

I once bought a used copy of Sapphire which was halfway through the game with the most ridiculous pokemon party EVER.

OMG THANK YOU SOOOO EXTREMELY INCREDIBLY MUCH!!!! I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! WE FIXED IT!!!!! AND I CAN FINALLY PLAY IN JOHTO!!!!
    + I ♥ my Chikorita :D
    we only did Gold, I have silver too but we only got one battery and I heard Gold was better..
    haha I know what you mean, I got a used copy of Sapphire too and it had a level 50 Blaziken named Dude and a bunch of other rediculous low level pokemon...

MLU

Returning Tradesman
    Years
    All my metalic colored games are: Gold, Silver, Crystal. I wanted to play them sooo bad though. Well, my wait's over when HG/SS comes back! :D.

Eh, I'm too lazy to replace my internal battery if anyone's going to ask me.

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
    One of my blues died, my gold died, my silver (with my first lvl 100 poke on it!! I'll miss you Hydro the Feraligatr...) and my yellow.

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    OMG THANK YOU SOOOO EXTREMELY INCREDIBLY MUCH!!!! I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! WE FIXED IT!!!!! AND I CAN FINALLY PLAY IN JOHTO!!!!
    + I ♥ my Chikorita :D
    we only did Gold, I have silver too but we only got one battery and I heard Gold was better..
    haha I know what you mean, I got a used copy of Sapphire too and it had a level 50 Blaziken named Dude and a bunch of other rediculous low level pokemon...

Bahaha, im happy that you managed to fix it. :P

lol well, in my case, I still remember because it was too weird....I had a lvl 60 Kyogre, a Lvl 30 Tropius, 2 lvl 45 Ninjask, a Lvl 80 Shedinja (!!!) and a Lvl 50 Sceptile

Weirder than that I don't know how it can get.

jadored

Jay the Peanut Butter Queen.
    Years
    My pokemon games kept getting lost before the battery could die but all my sister's Zelda games ran dry after a couple of years.

Years
    Last time I checked, Gold was fine. I might replace the battery if I need to, as some sort of a project. :D I like pulling stuff apart. :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2009
    I got my silver off of ebay also and had to replace the battery when I got it. But now it is alive and running again (hopefully for a long time).

Jweeson

Pokemon Aficianado
    Years
    The Gold I have still works. Although I haven't played it for a long time, so it might not work. I have no AA batteries, or I'd check now. Either way, HG/SS will satisfy my Johto needs. ;D

Pokehead

Pokedex 50% complete. 246 left
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Which games run dry? What causes it? Can it be prevented? How do you fix it? Sorry, I never heard of internal batteries before, and now I'm worried about all of my games. xD

It depends on temperature, humidity and just plain old luck. My RBY cartridges ran out of battery years ago, around the release of Ruby and Saphire. So I sold them to gamestop. Then I moved to a city thats 500m. below sea level, so you can imagine the humidity. My Gold and Silver cartridges ran out of battery a couple of years a go, and I sold my crystal along with them.

But frankly, I don't regret it, nor do I feel sad. The memories are still there. And besides, there's Heartgold and Soulsilver to look forward to :D.

Keep in mind though, there are a lot of factors with what causes internal batteries to go dry. I've seen some Zelda cartridges with a working battery, and yet I've seen Drill Dozers whose batteries have dried up.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    My Gold, Silver, and Crystal games have all died on me. My Red, Blue, and Yellow games, however, haven't, and I have been playing those ever since they first came out!

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    Here's the deal. Silver, Gold and Crystal are the main games at risk.

Crystal, being newer, is at less of a risk. Gold and Silver are already entering death, of course newer copies live longer.

New batteries can be obtained and installed on your own, but it's a long, dangerous process I recommend AGAINST.

Certain stores may do it for you. Also the Nintendo Store. And you may be able to send them in.

This, whether done by a store or by you, WILL get rid of your save data. Either way, your days are numbered in metal generation games.

Red, Blue and Yellow WILL eventually die.
    However, their lack of a clock lowers down on the draining of their batteries. I believe that by the time death strikes them we will be able to wirelessly recharge them.

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
    My Silver and Gold still work, as does my Crystal but I've noticed on my Silver that when you start the game and it comes up with "New Game" or "Continue" For some odd reason the "Continue" option has vanished O___O I was all "O_o" when it happened, and even now I still can't figure out why its done it xD.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    I think your game's internal save battery died then. Replacing it will not be a problem but it will be easier if you have soldering experience since the game just uses a standard CR2025 button cell which can be replaced with a slightly larger CR2032 if you are in doubt. Just see if a local game shop in your area will replace if you are not willing to learn how to solder. It was a piece of cake for me since I have soldering and electronics experience because of taking a class. Kind of off topic but this is for Ash The Purifying Prince. I can't recall Misty ever saying and I actually am a very big fan of her. But knowing this its possibly from fan fiction since that really does sound like something I would read in Pokeshipping fan fiction.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back