• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hazards leads

ProfDunsparce

And now I become Dunsparce...
Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    So I've been struggling lately against teams that use set-up sweepers as leads. For example, I just faced a team that sent out Mawile as a lead, mega-evolved, and then swords danced. He then proceeded to sweep my entire team. So I'm wondering how effective it is to have a hazards lead. I feel like it leaves me prone to being set-up on and puts me at an immediate disadvantage. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    So I've been struggling lately against teams that use set-up sweepers as leads. For example, I just faced a team that sent out Mawile as a lead, mega-evolved, and then swords danced. He then proceeded to sweep my entire team. So I'm wondering how effective it is to have a hazards lead. I feel like it leaves me prone to being set-up on and puts me at an immediate disadvantage. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this?

Dedicated leads DO put you at a immediate disadvantage 9 times out of 10 tbh. Not only do you have the possibility of losing your lead within the first few turns and being 5-6 down (bad because you need EVERY team slot this gen and even last gen) but also they could have Defog user which makes it worse because you just wasted a team slot. You should really be counter leading your opponent as they are doing to you so you dont lose momentum.

ProfDunsparce

And now I become Dunsparce...
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    Yeah I've been having much better success with offensive leads, like Machamp and Mienshao. I guess Klefki can be good though because of Prankster Taunt preventing set-up, as well as Thunderwave to cripple a set-up sweeper. Sableye is useful for the same reason, but with Will-o-wisp instead of T-wave.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I like using Stealth Rock + Explosion or Memento leads for offensive teams, such as Azelf. It usually gets the momentum on your side most of the time. Rain Dance or Sunny Day Azelf is especially useful for weather teams, and have the advantage over Politoed, Charizard, and Ninetales by being able to give the next Pokemon a free switch-in. When it comes to Spike setters, I'd rather use something that is usable outside of a lead role. Also, leading with Pokemon that have a good offensive presence and U-turn or Volt Switch can be good for scouting. Leading with Intimidate Pokemon is pretty fun too. I wouldn't consider the last two as dedicated leads, though.

And set-up sweeper leads shouldn't be a problem at all if you have most common Pokemon checked or countered with your team.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • I've found that even if you have a lead you do not necessarily have to send it out first. Sometimes predicting their pokemon they will lead with will mean sending out one of your other pokemon. A good team with multiple pokemon that can be different roles makes this easier

With that said, a dedicated lead is a disadvantage most of the time as stated previously.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • Yeah I've been having much better success with offensive leads, like Machamp and Mienshao. I guess Klefki can be good though because of Prankster Taunt preventing set-up, as well as Thunderwave to cripple a set-up sweeper. Sableye is useful for the same reason, but with Will-o-wisp instead of T-wave.

Klefki doesn't have access to Taunt.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    If you do set a Hazard Lead, you want it to be a Pokemon with a lot of HP and Defense. That way, it can take hits while setting up. At least, that's in my opinion...

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • If you do set a Hazard Lead, you want it to be a Pokemon with a lot of HP and Defense. That way, it can take hits while setting up. At least, that's in my opinion...

Yes, if you do have a hazards lead, bulkiness to ensure survival is a great way to go. Also, if you choose a frailer hazards user like Smeargle or Mamoswine, then Focus Sash can be used to make sure you gets a hazard up (normally S-Rocks).

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Yes, if you do have a hazards lead, bulkiness to ensure survival is a great way to go. Also, if you choose a frailer hazards user like Smeargle or Mamoswine, then Focus Sash can be used to make sure you gets a hazard up (normally S-Rocks).
    That's another thing- Stealth Rocks. Stealth Rock is the most powerful hazard in the game, not requiring layers and based on weakness- a Talonflame or Charizard would have their HP taken down by a whopping 1/2 upon switching into Stealth Rock. So, I think that Stealth Rock is an important part of a Hazard Strategy, due to the fact that it has an amazing damage output in some cases.

Back