• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Heart Gold Too easy?

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    Is it just me, or is HG/SS TOO easy.
    Legit, for 4 gyms in a row, the pokemon are level 20.
    I understand that there are 2 regions, but seriously? Same levels for 4 GYMS?
    Gahhh. Kanto better be harder.
    I'm hoping Red is a challenge. :/

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2012
    Red was a challenge for me first time, but now he's too easy. So easy I don't really bother with him anymore.

I don't know if HeartGold/SoulSilver was very easy or not, because those games (and White) are the only ones I've played...

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    Red was a challenge for me first time, but now he's too easy. So easy I don't really bother with him anymore.

I don't know if HeartGold/SoulSilver was very easy or not, because those games (and White) are the only ones I've played...

I think they are because you hardly have to grind. Everyone stays the same level, so you can have 4 pokemon level 25ish against level 19's at the 4th gym Without much grinding. :/

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I never really found heart Gold or Soul Silver too easy. I do admit there were tmes where I did fly through -- such as the battles with Pryce and Team Rocket. But for the most part I found it quite hard! Especially Whitney, Busgy, Chuck, Jasmine and Morty, not to mention the final Team Rocket executive with his houndour. But overall, it did prove to be a rewarding and fun experience, so in a way I was happy I had such hard times.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Yeah, the Johto region has always been really easy. Then it gets to the bit in the middle where you have to battle the five Kimono Girls and you want to rip your hair out. Red was also pretty hard. But yeah, HG/SS were pretty easy overall. They kinda compensate for their ease with two regions to play in.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I think they are because you hardly have to grind. Everyone stays the same level, so you can have 4 pokemon level 25ish against level 19's at the 4th gym
    Well, mind you a level 23 Gengar is nothing to sneeze at tbh. =p And they're not actually the same levels, fairly sure. Low, yes, but they do increase gradually. (Note also it accounts for later in having the option of beating Pryce, Chuck and Jasmine in whatever order you like).

At any rate I would argue that all Pokemon games are easy. BW for instance gifts you with wild Audinos and a Lucky Egg which makes training pretty easy (and if you ever fall behind you get more exp from the way experience works in that game as well). The games are only really challenging either if you deliberately choose to limit yourself (say a monotype run, nuzlocke, etc) or in latter stages of the game (E4 including Lance if you have nothing specific to deal with him, and yes, Red is harder; without any extra specific grinding but just beating up all the gym leaders and every other trainer in Kanto Red is in th 80s with his team while a full team of six for you is only in the mid 50s!), and the Battle Frontier challenges.

Don't forget too that after you've played Pokemon before the game itself becomes easier because you know what to do and don't say take on everyone with your Typhlosion with four fire moves. =p I'd argue that HGSS is harder than GSC too, even if levels aren't always higher. Before Bugsy's Scyther was easy with only Quick Attack and Fury Cutter notable moves; now it has U-Turn. Even Miltank, although a level lower, gained in having a held item, an ability that allowed it to hit ghost types (or resist fire moves) and two super potions from its trainer too.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Yeah, the Johto region has always been really easy. Then it gets to the bit in the middle where you have to battle the five Kimono Girls and you want to rip your hair out. Red was also pretty hard. But yeah, HG/SS were pretty easy overall. They kinda compensate for their ease with two regions to play in.

Oh yes, I can't forget about the Kimono Girls. They did drive me mad, especially since I'd reach the last one and lose, everytime.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    There were parts of the game that seemed to go quicker than other parts, but having completed the game, on the whole, I'd definitely not say it was too easy.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I've always found HG challenging. Whitney is nothing short of having godly powers. :( But in all seriousness it gets harder after Morty's gym. It also gets a lot harder in Kanto, due to there being no places to grind. However the gyms in Kanto don't increase their levels to sky high levels so you're no match. They gradually rise. iirc, Lt. Surge's Pokemon are only levels 44 - 46.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    Well, mind you a level 23 Gengar is nothing to sneeze at tbh. =p

Uh yes he is. He was a peace of cake.

As for the remainder of the game, all Gyms are cake walks with the exception of Lt. Surge in Kanto and Claire in Johto. The E4 Upgrades making them much more trouble. (Pokemon with levels 60-70) Red was a challenge no matter how you look at it. So yeah, HGSS was not easy. Like Curious. said it had it's easy moments, but it's difficulty is challenging over all.

Pingouin_7

HG/SS, like pretty much every other Pokémon game, was pretty easy.
    Not saying that's a bad thing, though. I prefer not having to grind endlessly in RPG's.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The main flaw with the Johto region is that Game Freak made it so that people can challenge either Pryce or Chuck as the 5th Gym Leader. They made it an option to head for Mahogany right after you beat Morty, hence why all the Pokemon in that area are around Lv15. This becomes a problem if you head for Olivine right after Morty, because by the time you finally reach Mahogany, all of your Pokemon are in the high 20's/low 30's, and you're still fighting pathetic Lv15 Pokemon.

The hardest Gym Leader in the game is probably Falkner, since he's the only Gym Leader that's at the level he should be. Everyone else was pathetic. I guess Game Freak tried to design the game as if players think like "skip every trainer as much as possible!"

However, the one good thing they did with HG/SS is that all of the Kanto Gym Leaders now have Pokemon in the 50's. This was a problem in G/S/C, the Kanto Gyms only had Lv40 Pokemon, which made no sense, since at that point in the game we've already beaten Lance, who goes up to Lv50. HG/SS fixes this, and has Lt. Surge go up to Lv53.

not to mention the final Team Rocket executive with his houndour
    I really hope you're just kidding.

Seriously, when Archer sent out his Lv35 Houndour, I'm all like, "WTF!?!? This is the final boss of Team Rocket, and he sends out this tiny dog? Is this a joke?" And then I proceeded to murder his entire team very easily. (and my Pokemon were only around Lv36, so me and him were pretty evenly matched in level, considering his Houndoom is Lv38)

Let's look at Cyrus's team, the final boss of Team Galactic:
    1. Houndoom
    2. Crobat
    3. Gyarados
    4. Honchkrow
    5. Weavile

And now let's look at Archer's team, the final boss of Team Rocket:
    1. Houndour (LOL)
    2. Koffing (is this a joke?)
    3. Houndoom

See what the problem is here?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2012
    Well, every pokemon is easy.. but ithink HG/SS is the hardest!

I beated Red with Lv60 and Lv70 pokes..

But i hated Lance, also don't forget the five Kimono Girls

Also two regions, Johto is a bit easy but Kanto is hard!(Dat Clair =(

so yeah.. HG rocks -)!

Back