• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Help adding new types to emerald.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2022
    I've tried reading over the tutorial on the site, only to end up bricking my roms. (This is why we save often.) "TUTORIAL: ADDING NEW TYPES INTO EMERALD" I tried adding in the types twice, even cross referenced a video explaining how to do it on FireRed. But without some help I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I also tried using the Type Effectivness Editor, but to no avail. I mean it works, but I don't know how to change the type of the Pokemon with an editor. If I'd have to edit everything via hex editing to make it work or not.

My goal is to add two types to the game. Fairy, to implement later gen mechanics. And Shadow, to introduce shadow Pokemon to my game. If anyone could point me in the right direction or help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Years
    I saw your reply in this thread.

You are clearly struggling with the hex editor. It does require a bit of understanding.
    Feel free to post here the screenshots where you stopped half way or hit a message so I can help you.

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the tools before using it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2022
    I guess the first question I have, is there a program that would allow me to add "Fairy" and "Shadow" Type pokemon with an editor. I've seen some people who can edit the ini of YAPE, and have it set the type to fairy. And in Pokemon Game Editor, there are 5 "Fillers" in the type, and Fairy. And I'm not sure how to edit the ini to work with it.

I get the image into the rom in new data
    I edit the first Hex to point to the new table
    I get to step 5, where I move the table to new free space. I add what I assume would be both Fairy and Shadow.
    Then in step 6 he says to fill in the data in the original position, we copied 6C worth of data, but he only replaces 5C worth of data. So do I replace all the data or only part of the data?

Attachments

• Help adding new types to emerald.
      Step 3.png
      238.6 KB · Views: 20
      Step 4.png
      250.3 KB · Views: 10
      Step 5.5.png
      348.9 KB · Views: 6
      Step 5.png
      331.9 KB · Views: 5
      Step 6.png
      226 KB · Views: 9
    Years
    I guess the first question I have, is there a program that would allow me to add "Fairy" and "Shadow" Type pokemon with an editor. I've seen some people who can edit the ini of YAPE, and have it set the type to fairy. And in Pokemon Game Editor, there are 5 "Fillers" in the type, and Fairy. And I'm not sure how to edit the ini to work with it.

I get the image into the rom in new data
    I edit the first Hex to point to the new table
    I get to step 5, where I move the table to new free space. I add what I assume would be both Fairy and Shadow.
    Then in step 6 he says to fill in the data in the original position, we copied 6C worth of data, but he only replaces 5C worth of data. So do I replace all the data or only part of the data?

This tutorial is really self-explanatory. You can try it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2023
    I saw your reply in this thread.

You are clearly struggling with the hex editor. It does require a bit of understanding.
    Feel free to post here the screenshots where you stopped half way or hit a message so I can help you.

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the tools before using it.

I stuck in step 8 : color the type icon. How can I know the hex value of each type or each color ?

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    I stuck in step 8 : color the type icon. How can I know the hex value of each type or each color ?

You would need to use the palette of that sprite.
    More importantly, you don't need to do any of this anymore. A new tool called HexManiacAdvance can add new types with a single click, and then you can edit them really easily too.
    Almost all old hex editing tutorials have been replaced by hma now

Tyrranux

I'm the Guy who made that crappy Underhell comic!
    Days
    You would need to use the palette of that sprite.
    More importantly, you don't need to do any of this anymore. A new tool called HexManiacAdvance can add new types with a single click, and then you can edit them really easily too.
    Almost all old hex editing tutorials have been replaced by hma now
    Can it though? Because I've got that very program on my hard drive and I have not seen diddly squat of this feature. What do I need to go swimming in the code for hours like I did with the bloody player sprites?

Back