• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help finding the perfect rom hack

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2022
    I have played through most of Radical Red and while I love the quality of life updates, the difficulty and strategy involved for gyms even on minimal grinding mode is just too much to casually enjoy/nuzlocke. I tried out Nameless Fire Red but it's missing all of the quality of life improvement that Radical Red has. I also have played blazing emerald but quit due to the drastic level gap on the elite four which made nuzlocking very hard. I liked that nameless fire red had nuzlocke rules imbedded which I don't think many rom hacks have.

Long story short, I really liked the large number of Pokémon available, newer game mechanics, exp share, level limits, in battle type previews, move effectiveness, slight spike in difficulty and ability to nuzlocke. Does anyone have suggestions that follow a semi vanilla game?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    I have played through most of Radical Red and while I love the quality of life updates, the difficulty and strategy involved for gyms even on minimal grinding mode is just too much to casually enjoy/nuzlocke.

That's the point of Radical Red though. It was meant to be challenging.

And to answer your question, Unbound was made by the creator of the CFRU, where Radical Red gets a lot of its features. Aside from that, it has good overworld graphics and 4 difficulty options (Easy, Difficult, Expert, Insane). The plot isn't half bad either. One thing though is that it only has Pokemon up to Gen 7 but that was mostly a game design choice from the creator. Overall a 9.3/10 hack which I highly recommend.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    If you're looking for a rom hack with modern QoL features (and without having to wait until the post-game to enjoy most of them), but without Radical Red's difficulty, maybe Inclement Emerald on Easy mode would be a good option.

I didn't play it yet because I prefer to wait for the "Standard" version, but from what I've read and seen, it has free move relearner and move tutor on every PC, accessible nature change, Ability Capsules/patches, granted HA when catching with Dream Ball, IV changing mechanics, streamlined EV training, and a lot of cool stuff.

Back