• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help for] my team-building please

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the competitive pokemon, and I want to start online challenges. I play on Pokemon Y and I thought of a team, any of you could tell me if this team is a good team, that changes bring, etc.
    I leave the team, thank you for help me.

1)Garchomp @ Focus Sash / Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Protect

2)Charizard @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 244 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest / Timid Nature
    - Heatwave
    - Solar Beam
    - Over Heat
    - Protect

3)Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt/Protect

4) Tyranitar @ Assault Vest / Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Blast
    - Protect

5)Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry / Chesto Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Rest

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 188 HP / 68 Def / 252 SpA
    Modest Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Psyshock
    - Wish / Shadow Ball
    - Moonblast

Years
  • Well first of all, the biggest issue I see is you have no Stealth Rock support and no Hazard Removal. This makes it really hard for your Charizard to get set up without losing half of its HP. You don't need to be running both Overheat and Heat Wave, I'd recommend just running Fire Blast for the consistent power. It hits harder than Heat Wave and you don't have to switch out after using it like Overheat. Especially with no Hazard Removal, you don't want to be switching out constantly. Protect is pretty pointless, it's usually run on Megas that get massive Speed boosts after Mega Evolving. Both Mega Charizard formes have the same Speed so it's not like you can Revenge-Kill the next turn. A better moveset would be something like Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Focus Blast, and Roost. This will give you better type coverage and Recovery. There's no point in not running full 252 Sp.A EVs, the 12 EVs you put into Sp.D won't help you take more hits.

Your Garchomp Set makes no sense, Rocky Helmet is run to deter Physical Attackers but you have the EVs of a Sweeper but you're also running Protect. It also gets walled super hard by Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Garchomp is really flexible and can be built to suit your team's needs. You can go an offensive Swords Dance/ Life Orb set, a Suicide Lead set, a Bulkier Rocky Helmet set, etc. With no boosting moves/items, no Utility, and no bulk, your Garchomp isn't a threat to do anything particularly well. Protect is also pointless.

Your Tyranitar set also makes no sense. First off, Tyranitar can't run Protect and Assault Vest at the same time. You're running EVs of a physical sweeper but your only Physical move is Stone Edge. Pursuit allows you to Pursuit-trap Psychic and Ghost Pokemon and Crunch will hit Ground-types much harder than Stone Edge. Superpower hits Ferrothorn really hard. Even at max Speed EVs, Tyranitar is way too slow to function as a Sweeper, you're better off running Choice Scarf and using it to Pursuit-Trap and Wallbreak. There's also a more Supportive Stealth Rock set you could run. I don't understand this constant need for Protect on most of your Pokemon.

Your Rotom set is just bad, Speed EVs and Modest nature is what Sweepers want to be running but Rotom-W is too slow without a Choice Scarf, and doesn't hit hard enough without a Boosting item. It's much better off being used as a Bulky Pivot. It gets really bulky with Defense or Sp.Defense investment and can maintain momentum with Volt Switch. I personally don't think the Rest/ Chesto Berry set is useful, Leftovers and Pain Split are much better for staying Healthy and keeping momentum.

Your Sylveon doesn't need to be running both Hyper Voice and Moonblast. Just run Hyper Voice as it hits harder and goes through Substitutes. Psyshock and Hyper Voice get walled pretty hard by Steel-types so maybe add in Hidden Power Fire or Hidden Power Ground. Baton Pass can help maintain momentum but Wish is ok if you really need a Cleric on your team.

Those are just fixes for your current Pokemon, I'd recommend replacing something and adding in a Defogger or a Rapid Spinner to clear the way for Charizard. Stealth Rocks are really strong and should be ran on someone. I'm sure someone else can find other issues in your team, but bad sets are the most pressing issue in my mind.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Well first of all, the biggest issue I see is you have no Stealth Rock support and no Hazard Removal. This makes it really hard for your Charizard to get set up without losing half of its HP. You don't need to be running both Overheat and Heat Wave, I'd recommend just running Fire Blast for the consistent power. It hits harder than Heat Wave and you don't have to switch out after using it like Overheat. Especially with no Hazard Removal, you don't want to be switching out constantly. Protect is pretty pointless, it's usually run on Megas that get massive Speed boosts after Mega Evolving. Both Mega Charizard formes have the same Speed so it's not like you can Revenge-Kill the next turn. A better moveset would be something like Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Focus Blast, and Roost. This will give you better type coverage and Recovery. There's no point in not running full 252 Sp.A EVs, the 12 EVs you put into Sp.D won't help you take more hits.

Your Garchomp Set makes no sense, Rocky Helmet is run to deter Physical Attackers but you have the EVs of a Sweeper but you're also running Protect. It also gets walled super hard by Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Garchomp is really flexible and can be built to suit your team's needs. You can go an offensive Swords Dance/ Life Orb set, a Suicide Lead set, a Bulkier Rocky Helmet set, etc. With no boosting moves/items, no Utility, and no bulk, your Garchomp isn't a threat to do anything particularly well. Protect is also pointless.

Your Tyranitar set also makes no sense. First off, Tyranitar can't run Protect and Assault Vest at the same time. You're running EVs of a physical sweeper but your only Physical move is Stone Edge. Pursuit allows you to Pursuit-trap Psychic and Ghost Pokemon and Crunch will hit Ground-types much harder than Stone Edge. Superpower hits Ferrothorn really hard. Even at max Speed EVs, Tyranitar is way too slow to function as a Sweeper, you're better off running Choice Scarf and using it to Pursuit-Trap and Wallbreak. There's also a more Supportive Stealth Rock set you could run. I don't understand this constant need for Protect on most of your Pokemon.

Your Rotom set is just bad, Speed EVs and Modest nature is what Sweepers want to be running but Rotom-W is too slow without a Choice Scarf, and doesn't hit hard enough without a Boosting item. It's much better off being used as a Bulky Pivot. It gets really bulky with Defense or Sp.Defense investment and can maintain momentum with Volt Switch. I personally don't think the Rest/ Chesto Berry set is useful, Leftovers and Pain Split are much better for staying Healthy and keeping momentum.

Your Sylveon doesn't need to be running both Hyper Voice and Moonblast. Just run Hyper Voice as it hits harder and goes through Substitutes. Psyshock and Hyper Voice get walled pretty hard by Steel-types so maybe add in Hidden Power Fire or Hidden Power Ground. Baton Pass can help maintain momentum but Wish is ok if you really need a Cleric on your team.

Those are just fixes for your current Pokemon, I'd recommend replacing something and adding in a Defogger or a Rapid Spinner to clear the way for Charizard. Stealth Rocks are really strong and should be ran on someone. I'm sure someone else can find other issues in your team, but bad sets are the most pressing issue in my mind.

Given the prevalence of Protect in this team, it's safe to assume that this is a doubles team, which doesn't really use entry hazards like SR, as switching rarely occurs.

@OP: it would be a better idea to specify the format in the future.

Years
  • Given the prevalence of Protect in this team, it's safe to assume that this is a doubles team, which doesn't really use entry hazards like SR, as switching rarely occurs.

That makes a lot more sense, but there are still problems in his sets like Assault Vest/ Protect Tyranitar that should be addressed. The EV spreads are iffy too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • That makes a lot more sense, but there are still problems in his sets like Assault Vest/ Protect Tyranitar that should be addressed. The EV spreads are iffy too.

In doubles, EV spreads are more specialized to survive specific hits. Charizard Y's EV spread in particular (the slight Special Defense investment) lets it live a 252 Special Attack Thunderbolt from Wash Rotom at full health.

Years
  • In doubles, EV spreads are more specialized to survive specific hits. Charizard Y's EV spread in particular (the slight Special Defense investment) lets it live a 252 Special Attack Thunderbolt from Wash Rotom at full health.

252+ SpA Rotom-Wash Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 248-294 (83.5 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It already lives a Thunderbolt from full without Special Defense investment. This calc was with a Modest nature Rotom-W too. The 12 Special Defense EVs do nothing unless you can think of a better example.

Last edited:

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • Why do you have a tyranitar set up with special moves but physical evs?
    If you're going to run focus sash on gengar you might as well give it destiny bond.
    Maybe pain split on rotom?

Back