• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HELP: Transferring Save Games

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2008
    Is it possible to transfer a save game using VBA from one computer to my downstairs one? I really don't wanna have to redo my ShinyGold Version file AGAIN.

If anyone knows how, please enlighten me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    If you save normally using the "Save" command from the menu in the game then you have to use the ".sav" file and move it to your other computer. To make it work, the ROM and the save file will have to have the same name.
    If you save with slots or go to "File -> Save" just move the ".sgm" file to the other computer and load it with VBA.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    What you have to do is either burn your .sav (or .sgm) files to a disc or upload them to an internet hosting site. After that, just get from the disc or download them from the hosting site and you're done! Of course, make sure the ROM on the new computer is the same name of the saves or it won't load.

For example: Old ROMs name is ShinyGold.gba, so is the save file.
    New ROMs name is Shiny Gold.gba, the save file is ShinyGold.(.sav or .sgm). You'd have to change "Shiny Gold.gba" to "ShinyGold.gba" in order for the emulator to load the save files.

Hope I've helped!

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    I'm quite positive that the .sav files can be taken from any computer to another, and from any version to another.

Seeing as we're all pitching in ideas, if you have a network set up between your two computers, you could simply share the folder with the .sav file and copy it to the folder on the comp you want it on.

Marauding Master

Interdimensional.
    Years
    2 easy ways.

1. Sign on on 2 MSN accounts at the 2 PCs and transfer the file.
    2. Mail it to yourself and download it on the PC downstairs.

Years
    SAV files are compatible with all emulators (except from some weird ones that use headers) and SGM files will typically only work with the program the were made with. To move your save from computer to computer all you need to do is take that file, using the various methods mentioned.

That said considering you can pick up a 64MB USB for next to nothing (our bank gives them away as promotional material) I'd just grab a USB drive and put the GBA, SAV and if you have one SGM file all on the disk, along with VBA172.exe (ymmv) and vba-over.ini (if you are playing Pokemon you should have/download on of these) and run it off the disk, that way its easier to keep track of as you will only ever have one copy of the save file.

Back