• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Help with making abilities

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    hey, I've got some custom abilities that I'd like to implement into my game, but I am confused as to how.

if anyone with more coding knowledge than me could help out that would be great

these are the abilities

Instigator - taunts on switch in

vandalize - at the end of the turn the user harshly lowers the stat of the opponent but raises one stat as well (Basically the opposite of moody)

jebaited/baited - super effective attacks have no effect (opposite of wonder guard)
    (the text when you try to hit them could be "they took the bait!"

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    A good way to start learning how coding works in Essentials is to adapt something that already exists by tweaking it with your own modifications. Abilities are a great way to dip your toes into this, because each one is generally pretty isolated in what it does, and you can experiment without too much risk of breaking the code of something else.

For example, you even mention with some of these abilities that they're basically just variations of existing abilities (Moody, Wonder Guard, and Instigator is basically just Intimidate with an effect rather than a stat change). So then why not use the search function to search the script for these abilities, and how they're coded? That would be a good first step in figuring out what to do.

Years
    As someone already told you, these are actually very easy abilities to code, because, well, you don't actually have to code. The codes needed already exist. You just have to find where abilities like Moody are coded, and do a copy-paste, and make the little changes needed. A couple of weeks ago I made (broken link removed) to create new abilities with very little coding. Check it out if you want.

Back