• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with my first 2 teams please

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2016
    I've been thinking about starting competitive pokemon and I've just put a couple teams together. The first team I found on a website and then second team I made myself, but used the movesets from another website. How do my teams look and what can I change.

This is the first time making a team so it might be pretty bad, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Lucario

Steadfast
    Lucarionite

Close Combat
    Earthquake
    Aura Sphere
    Shadow Ball

Chesnaught

Bulletproof
    Leftovers

Hammer Arm
    Seed Bomb
    Poison Jab
    Earthquake

Blastoise

Torrent
    Splash Plate

Surf
    Ice Beam
    Rock Smash
    Waterfall

Bellossom

Chlorophyll
    Expert Belt

Energy Ball
    Dazzling Gleam
    Cut
    Sludge Bomb

Gardevoir

Synchronize
    Pixie Plate

Moonblast
    Psyshock
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball

Talonflame

Flame Body
    No Item

Flame Charge
    Flare Blitz
    Acrobatics
    Fly

The second team:

Skarmory

Keen Eye
    Leftovers

Spikes
    Stealth Rock
    Roost
    Whirlwind/Roar (I don't know the difference if there is one)

Sharpedo

Rough Skin
    Life Orb (maybe)

Waterfall
    Ice Fang
    Crunch/Night Slash
    Earthquake

Luxray

Guts
    No Item yet

Wild Charge
    Facade
    Thunder Fang
    Crunch

Mamoswine (Not sure this is going to work out)

Oblivious
    No Item yet

Hail
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Blizzard

Gardevoir

Synchronize
    Gardevoirite

Hyper Voice
    Psyshock
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball

Infernape

Blaze
    Choice Band

Close Combat
    Flare Blitz
    Thunder Punch
    Mach Punch

Years
  • I can definitely give you some help on mamoswine.
    You should really have its ability as Thick Fat, as it halves the damage it takes from it main weakness: fire, and, oblivious is rather rare i find.

You should max out his attack, and definitely give him more bulk by increasing his high HP.
    What you do from there is a split decision. He is quite frail, so maybe max his hp and use him a stealth rock setup who can dish out some fair damage.... OR give him some speed and choice scarf him. I personally use this (which is a slightly modified set of: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/team-mamoswine-vgc-14-team.3495770/) but with max attack.
    This works quite well as it outspeeds most pokemon and is a very heavy hitter with decent coverage, not to mention his STAB icicle crah with flinch chance. Good for revenge killling may I add.

As a general look at your teams, you may want to have a look at some pokemons base stats. Pokemon such as bellossom have lower stats and are not used as often, so can be easily countered and KO'd by more common and more powerful pokemon.
    The site Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/) has a useful tier system based on a pokemons power and use rate. Although, most people use this as just a guideline. I can beat OU (overused) teams with some of my pokemon coming from lower tiers.

EDIT: I noticed you have afew mixed attackers there (being pokemon which use both physical and special moves), while it does happen it is uncommon. Pokemon with high Attack should generally stick to physical moves, and pokemon with high Special attack should stick with special moves.

This leads me to think you dont know about IV breeding and EV training. They are a necessity if you are going to stand any chance competitively. Many guides on this can be found with a quick google search, but it is a tad complicated if it is new to you. As a quick overview:
    IVs (Individual values) are values which are assigned to each stat, they range from 0 to 31, and the higher this value, the higher the particular stat is. So a Snorlax with an IV of 15 in HP, will have less HP than one with an IV of 31.
    EVs (effort values) : these are like points you can distribute between the stats to increase them. You gain them naturally by defeating pokemon, but you can also gain them from super training. A pokemon can have a maximum of 508 usable EVs to use, but a maximum of 252 in a single stat. For every 4 EVs, a stat is increased by 1.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Team 1: Mega Lucario is banned to Ubers because Adaptability-induced Close Combats and Aura Spheres are hard to take. You'll have to make do with regular Lucario, which is more manageable:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Extreme Speed
    -Iron Tail/Ice Punch/Crunch/Shadow Claw
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Chesnaught is better played defensively, as other Fighting Pokemon, such as Conkeldurr, are better at offensive roles:
    -Leech Seed
    -Spiky Shield
    -Wood Hammer/Spikes
    -Hammer Arm
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Bulletproof

Blastoise is best played in its Mega Evolution; the regular form is simply terrible, as its offensive presence is weaker:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisinite

Bellossom sucks, simply put. It's outclassed by other Grass Pokemon like Amoonguss and Ferrothorn:

Amoonguss:
    -Spore
    -Giga Drain
    -Foul Play/Sludge Bomb
    -Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator

Ferrothorn:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect/Knock Off
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
    Ability: Iron Barbs

Talonflame must use Gale Wings as its ability; otherwise, it's just as terrible as Pidgeot, Noctowl and Unfezant before it:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    Item: Life Orb/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Tailwind/Roost
    Item: Choice Band/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate

or
    -Bulk Up
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef

or
    -Brave Bird
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Natural Gift
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 120 HP/252 Atk/136 Spe
    Item: Liechi Berry/Salac Berry

For the second team, Sturdy is the preferred ability on Skarmory, as Keen Eye is absolutely worthless and with Sturdy, Skarmory is guaranteed to do something from full health. Stick to one entry hazard, as having both worsens Skarmory's 4-moveslot syndrome. Here's a set that's friendly to Kalos-born Skarmory, as Defog and Counter have to be obtained from previous generations:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird/Taunt
    Nature: Impish/Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy

Sharpedo is simply too frail to make any use of Rough Skin at all. Speed Boost is the preferred ability for Sharpedo, as it helps boost its good, but not great, Speed the longer Sharpedo is on the field. Given its extreme frailty, Sharpedo is best saved for the late game:
    -Waterfall
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake/Destiny Bond/Zen Headbutt/Ice Beam
    -Protect
    Nature: Adamant/Naughty
    Ability: Speed Boost

Luxray is, in a word, outclassed by other Electric Pokemon in standard play. It's not that fast and it doesn't have much utility compared to the below Electric Pokemon:

Magnzone:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Flash Cannon
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe (Modest) or 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe (Timid)
    Item: Choice Specs (Modest)/Choice Scarf (Timid)
    Ability: Magnet Pull

or
    -Magnet Rise
    -Thunderbolt
    -Flash Cannon
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    EVs: 128 HP/252 SAtk/128 Spe
    Item: Air Balloon
    Ability: Magnet Pull

Thundurus:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Psychic/Focus Blast
    -Thunder Wave
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Flying/Ice)
    -Substitute/Focus Blast/Psychic
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Prankster

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Knock Off
    -Superpower/Thunder Wave
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 76 Atk/180 SAtk/252 Spe

Therian Thundurus:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Flying)
    -Focus Blast
    EVs: 20 HP/252 SAtk/236 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry

or
    -Agility
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Flying/Ice)
    -Focus Blast/Psychic

or
    -Agility
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Flying)
    EVs: 156 HP/252 SAtk/100 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

Wash Rotom:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Rest
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe (Bold) or 248 HP/216 SDef/44 Spe (Calm)
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry

or
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Will-o-Wisp
    -Trick
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Item: Choice Scarf

Zapdos:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Defog
    -Roost
    -Heat Wave/Toxic/U-turn
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/168 Def/68 SAtk/20 Spe

Since Gen IV, Mamoswine has been known for revenge killing Dragon Pokemon. Hail seems tempting, but it's not worth it, as its main setter, Abomasnow, is weak to 7 types, while Hail as a weather condition has a bad tendency to hinder your teammates. Here's a better Mamoswine set; as mentioned before, Thick Fat is the superior ability, but Oblivious still has its uses when Mamoswine is used as a Stealth Rock lead:
    -Earthquake
    -Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear
    -Ice Shard
    -Freeze-Dry/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 244 Atk/12 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Thick Fat

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Shard
    -Endeavor
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Oblivious

There's no reason for Mega Gardevoir to use Shadow Ball anymore, as Aegislash got banned to Ubers and a Pixilated Hyper Voice outdamages a 2x super effective Shadow Ball:
    -Psyshock
    -Hyper Voice
    -Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp/Calm Mind
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gardevoirite
    Ability: Trace

Infernape is better played as a mixed attacker to better deal with walls:
    -Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot/Stone Edge/Thunder Punch
    -Mach Punch/U-turn/Thunder Punch
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 168 Atk/88 SAtk/252 Spe

Years
  • Good suggestions and well thought out, but none of these are "banned", they are all perfectly usable in the metagame. I really dislike abiding by smogon's tiers - but they are useful guidelines.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Good suggestions and well thought out, but none of these are "banned", they are all perfectly usable in the metagame. I really dislike abiding by smogon's tiers - but they are useful guidelines.

Not very many people play singles outside of smogon. If you play any smogon player and use mega Lucario, aegislash, etc, they won't play with you because they are unhealthy to the metagame. They aren't balanced, so smogon removed them from OU.

Blastoise is significantly better in its mega form while Lucario can preform well without its mega.

I would defenitely reccomend looking up EV training and IV breeding w/ egg moves because that made me a much better competetive battler.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • If you play any smogon player and use mega Lucario, aegislash, etc, they won't play with you because they are unhealthy to the metagame. They aren't balanced, so smogon removed them from OU.

*they won't play with you because Smogon believes they are unhealthy to the metagame.
    *Smogon says they aren't balanced, so they removed them from their OU tier.

:P The entire pokemon competitive community isn't a unanimous hive mind just quite yet hahah. Smogon is a good third party authority, but they're still not infallible with their mandates to control the meta, and it's always a good idea to think things through yourself instead of just believing whatever is commonly accepted.

ANYWAYS PREACHY BS ASIDE

Two or so quick things I noticed just skimming your team, if your Luxray has Guts and Facade, that item you don't have yet could reeeeally be a Toxic or Burn orb to Luxray's advantage. And for your Mamoswine, Hail should be reconsidered, as mamoswine doesn't usually stick around too long in matches, aaaaand the rest of its teammates not only don't benefit from hail, but they mostly take damage hahah. There's a lot more there obviously- but I see you got a smogset copypasta, so I won't ramble too much.

Back