• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey You! What's your Team!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    So I immediately knew this was going to start being an issue with this game and lo and behold... it's an issue.
    Did Pokemon GO make a globe wide set of gangs?
    There has been clique behavior, insults, resentment, and (god forbid) vandalism.
    I was wondering what you guys think about the likely increase of dangerous "gang-like" activity occurring from the three teams due to this game. Do you guys think this will spiral out of control, or do you think people will ease up and just enjoy the game as it is and embrace a sense of fun and tame rivalry?

My personal contribution to the issue:
    Spoiler:

This article mentions a little bit of my worries: https://nowloading.co/posts/3998714

Also if you guys haven't seen this photo yet, check it out and think real hard about it. (By the way, despite the culprit being from "Mystic" I totally do not blame the group as a whole, simply because this was done by by an individual and at this point there is no reason to blame such an incredibly large group for the actions of one very stupid individual.)
    Spoiler:

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Its unfortunate that that is becoming a thing. So far in my area, everyone has been really kind and just awesome. We all socialize and bond over our love for Pokemon while of course having some friendly competition. In my friend alone we have Mystics, Valors, and Instincts yet here we are, still having fun with the occasional playful jab.

People need to realize it is just a game. I've heard similar stories of people being absolute jerks because someone is on a different team. This game isn't life or death. Its about creating and growing an amazing community in the real world rather than inside little handheld devices and online. Its so very frustrating to see these stories. I'm all for having team pride but once in starts turning to being rude or heaven forbid criminal, there is absolutely something wrong and hopefully people will realize and clean up their acts.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Houston has a very large Team Mystic group and one of my best friends is a leader for it. I am part of Team Mystic solely because I am a huge Articuno fan. Quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of the whole teams kind of thing. Pokemon is supposed to be a friendly thing and not a real life rivalry thing.

Years
  • Anything this large will have anything happen.

From crime, to bullying, to cheating, whatever--you name it, it will happen. Why? Because Pokemon Go involves THAT MANY people.

My experience has been nothing but positive, from all teams involved. I can buy that there are bad apples, and I can buy that mob mentality can take over in certain situations with enough people involved. But come on. The UK calling it the most dangerous game ever?

I understand that there are going to be periodic issues. But I think that this is mostly just the media doing what the media does best: breed controversy and fear.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I have to admit, I never thought stuff like this would happen, lol. I mean I expected some friendly rivalry (the kind you mentioned - joke insults, teasing, etc.), but I guess these kinds of more "intense" rivalry is happening because PGO has attracted a vast audience, which includes people who would do stupid things like this.

Like if a person was going to vandalize something, I'm sure they would have done it with or without the excuse of "Team Mystic" - you and I would probably never think to spray paint our Pokemon Go team on anything.

But I think it will stop as the hype dies down - it's a new fad that all kinds of people are getting into, but it's likely that people who aren't long-time Pokemon fans will get bored of Pokemon Go after a while and move on.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    There may be a few idiots who take things to far but that happens with everything and just like every time it has happened they will go to jail and we will move on. This will never turn into a world wide gang violence and even if it for some reason did the game would be shut down immediately.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Maybe it's so sad to see because this fandom is so close to our hearts; we're understandingly defensive of it. Pokémon fans are friendly and harmless, and we'd like to think all the people joining GO are likewise minded...

But, this is a HUGE fad, and the people ruining the fun by vandalizing in the name of their team are people who would have done it for some other reason anyway, sans GO. It's sad to see people take rivalry that's supposed to be fun to this level, but like it's been said, it's not necessarily the game's fault.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I am on Team Mystic, but around here the players are pretty friendly with each other. These idiots that are vandalizing and doing other stupid stuff in their teams names is just hurting the game. Like someone said above these players who are doing this stuff are NOT the real fans of Pokemon and don't know the real meaning of the franchise. They will get bored with it and drop it and it will get to be more normal at some point. I am predicting by the end of the Summer when we kids go back to school and college semester starts up it will cool down a lo.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Teams are vandalizing stuff?? I have heard some crazy news from the game but not that yet. They do need to stop giving a bad name to the game.

Back