• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG/SS Championship

Years
    Yay for the SF one! (Although it's actually in San Mateo)

I'm conflicted if I actually want to battle or just hang out and get my Shiny Eevee. =P I don't EV train so...we'll see I suppose.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    I'll probably be going to the Indianapolis one even though it's ~5 hours away. Not digging the 4 v 4 doubles set-up, I'd much prefer 6 v 6 singles, but w/e. I've gotta get started on theory crafting my team, and breeding/rng etc.

Even though if the pokemon was transfered to a new game card?
    No, the new cartridge would be clean, that's why I'm leaving my Soul Silver Cart alone, and doing all my breeding/training on my Diamond version, so I can use the IV check code.

Last edited:

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
    I'll be going to the one in Phoenix with two of my friends. Can't wait! Just have to come up with a good team. I already have one team, my team from Platinum, but it's mostly UU/NU pokemon. Even combining with my SS team (which isn't EV trained yet) would not be enough to go up against the multitude of Ubers that will be used by noobs. I wish they hadn't allowed ubers. So i'll have to find a way to fit in some ubers. Plus the battles are double battles, so I'll have to factor that as well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Not digging the 4 v 4 doubles set-up, I'd much prefer 6 v 6 singles, but w/e.
    For a tournament which can have up to 768 people, 6v6 singles would take too long. Doubles matches are generally a lot faster than singles, especially with only 4 Pokémon per team.
    the multitude of Ubers that will be used by noobs.
    Those aren't what you should be worrying about. Much more scary are ubers being used by experienced players.

If you don't have a way to deal with rain (especially if Kyogre OHKOes your entire team), you're not going to get very far. And Kyogre can OHKO a lot of things.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    For a tournament which can have up to 768 people, 6v6 singles would take too long. Doubles matches are generally a lot faster than singles, especially with only 4 Pokémon per team.
    I understand the reasoning behind it, I'm just saying I prefer 6 v 6 singles as I think it takes a bit more strategy and you don't see as much gimmick's like rain teams as often.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I understand the reasoning behind it, I'm just saying I prefer 6 v 6 singles as I think it takes a bit more strategy and you don't see as much gimmick's like rain teams as often.

Rain teams can be quite deadly. For example, I may or may not use a Machamp/Kyogre combo with Thunder, Sheer Cold, Water Spout, Skill Swap, and No Guard. I don't think you stand a chance. Even if you have Sturdy, one Water Spout (even at half-HP) will do a lot of damage. And Thunder can break Protect in Rain.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    Rain teams can be quite deadly. For example, I may or may not use a Machamp/Kyogre combo with Thunder, Sheer Cold, Water Spout, Skill Swap, and No Guard. I don't think you stand a chance. Even if you have Sturdy, one Water Spout (even at half-HP) will do a lot of damage. And Thunder can break Protect in Rain.

Oh, I understand the potency of rain teams, I'm just really expecting there to be a lot of them at these events, especially among like the general populace, heck, I may even use one myself. I haven't started theorycrafting yet. However I was paying attention to the people at smogon and it doesn't seem like a lot of them are going to be running rain, so I'm kinda trying to decide if I should build something that just stomps rain, or go with something completely different yet still viable, but not overly weak to rain. idk really. it'll be cool to play against people that actually think out their teams and such, though I'm kinda expecting a fair amount of people who have no idea about the 'competitive' style of pokemon.

Woah, wall of text. ;p

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    I was going to go to the Atlanta one (it is only like an hour from my house- not bad considering) just to grab the eevee and watch. I had even convinced my family that we could do a day in Atlanta thing. But, it turns out that that is the day we are going to the beach. I guess I'll just have to live without my eevee.

Years
    I have never done competitive battling before; I battled the boyfriend of my best friend's little sister once, and I did kick his butt. That is my only experience though. :/ We'll see. I have no idea how to IV/EV train, so I'm just planning on using some Pokemon from Platinum and some from Heart Gold that I've really worked hard on. Should I use a Giratina? I'm not going to be sad if I don't make it very far; I will still have fun.

I'm going to take the Chinatown bus from Boston to NYC and then a train to Jersey! Woot I am so excited to travel...

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I don't think I would do good because everyone's pokemon probably would have flawless IV's, and I don't use any legendarys. But it sounds like it would be awesome to go to anyway, though I don't think I would go because of the distance.

I thought this was funny from the rules and regulations:

Players may not enter a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon character (for example, a Lucario nicknamed "Spiritomb").

I used to name one of my pokemon "Mew" back when I first played the 1st generation, and my friends would freak out when it said "SIN sent out Mew!". lol. I think that rule is kind of stupid though, why shouldn't you be allowed to throw off the opponent with that?

This makes me want to find a small tournament closer to where I live though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023

Thunder breaking through Protect is a glitch in Diamond and Pearl. It doesn't happen in HG/SS.
    Also, you're not going to have time to Skill Swap; neither Machamp or Kyogre can learn it, which means you're using up two turns with a 3rd Pokémon, as well as one turn to switch between Machamp and Kyogre. In other words, during the time your opponent can attack 4 times, you only get to move once (with Machamp, on turn 1).
    A common strategy is to Fake Out on the first turn; if they Fake Out your Skill Swapper, you will need a 3rd turn. Another common strategy is to use Dark Void Smeargle; even if you have a Lum Berry, they will still have a second turn to use Dark Void while you're unable to KO Smeargle (as you'd be busy Skill Swapping).
    Finally, as soon as you send out Kyogre, the opponent will easily guess that you're going to Skill Swap No Guard to it and then use Sheer Cold; they can just gang up on Kyogre to KO it before it can Sheer Cold, meaning you just wasted all those turns setting up.

Years
    I might be going to the Jersey one but i live in maryland :p. I hope I can convince my mom in letting me go. Heck my brother could probally get me down there XD.

Years
    im so going to the seattle 1 but its limited to like 700 people so i might arrive super early! but i have never gone to one of these so im pretty hyped!

tangvor

Pokemon FTW
    Years
    I want to SOOOO bad.
    I always have and always will.
    But sad thing is they're always too far away.
    Also I thought the same rules for battle tower applied, but seems they don't and you can use up to 4 (non-event) legendaries so I didn't even worry about them.
    So basically I would have the almost perfect team that would lose to a guy with a team with 4 legendaries with perfect natures and that jazz.
    But I really would like the experience and the closest one just HAD to be in Indy but that's the nationals...

Back