• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS team rate + fix

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2011
    Fist off sorry if this is in the wrong place. I r tard...

So me and my friends are doing a run through of HG/SS but after every gym we all stop and battle one another. We can only use pokemon and items avabile thus far in the game (trading from other games not allowed)+ pokewalker stuff. No legendary pokes.

To make it fair we set level and area limits. The next battle is at Ecruteak City, the level limit is 25 (so any pokemon over 25 / has a move that is learnt higher that 25 can't be used - eg a lvl 25 dratini with dragon dance) and the area limit is Ecruteak city (we can't go east to route 42 or west to route 38).

The pokemon / items i have at hand is everything in game + pokewalker up until Morty.

My current team is :

Snorlax - 25 - Sassy
    Thick Fat
    Charcoal or Zoom Lens
    Double Team - Rest - Fire Blast - Headbutt

My lead pokemon. Double team was kinda experimental last battle, use it first couple turns and then rest off damage + sweep with a near untouchable mosnter. Annoyingly one of my friends switched in a no guard machop last battle (lvl20s) and middlefingered my plans haha.

Alakazam - 25 - Timid
    Synchronize
    Shed Shell
    Charge Beam - Psychic - Focus Blast - Hyper Beam

Shed shell is because last battle 2 guys had the idea of using Wobbufett and switched in on my alakazam and ruined it. Also looking to replace HperB with something better.

Raichu - 25 - Careful
    Static
    Leftovers
    Thunderbolt - Surf - Focus Blast - Hyper Beam

Haven't used this guy in battle yet. Annoyed with the Careful nature but i really cba to trawl through yellow forest again hoping to find a 2-3% surf pika only to find out its a flyer x_x. Also looking at replacing HyperB.

Gyarados - 25 - Quiet
    Intimidate
    Leftovers or Zoom Lens
    Bite - Fire Blast - Bounce - Blizzard

He's like this because i needed a mixed sweeper that covered types. In the last battle he was a real beast and stormed his way through everything. Thinking about replacing Bite with Thunder / Surf not sure though.
    I also have a normal Adamant Gyara in the wings waiting for later battles if i need him.

Kangaskhan - 25 - Adamant
    Scrappy
    Leftovers
    Drain Punch - Dizzy Punch - Bite - Rock Tomb

Is Scrappy better than Early Bird? Also what can replace Rock Tomb?

Metang - 25 - Careful
    Clear Body
    Leftovers
    Iron Head - Iron Defense - Zen Headbutt - Take Down

Another i haven't had to use in battle yet but his stats are solid. Move set will get better in time.

Boxed Pokemon

Scizor - 25 - Adamant
    Technician
    Silk Scarf or Leftovers
    Bullet Punch - Quick Attack - Pursuit - Agility

Thinking about using him as my new Lead? Silk Scarf is to help Quick Attack deal extra damage. Kinda think Leftovers is pointless cuz any fire attack will KO him / other attacks won't do much while Bullet Punch will be laughing.

Bayleef - 25 - Relaxed
    Overgrow
    Leftovers
    Headbutt - Reflect - Synthesis - Magical Leaf

Thinking about replacing Synthesis with Light Screen as Bayleef is a good wall anyway and it has leftovers to heal. I chose Magical Leaf over Razor Leaf because i wanted a way of dealing SP.Atk damage. Bayleefs atk / sp.atk is only 1 point difference and Headbutt covers Atk.

Other notable pokemon i have = Starmie / Cloyster / Tentacruel / Eevee (thinking Umbreon or Vaporeon) / Crobat / Gengar / Growlithe / Heracross / Machop / Magmar / Smoochum / Bronzor / Dratini / Poli family / Fearow / Exeggcute (or exeggutor) / Bellossom / Butterfree / Nidoking / Nidoqueen / vulpix (traded from a friend for growlithe) / Murkrow / Duskull / Just everything so far nearly. I finished earlier than everyone esle so i've been lucky enough to grind most of my boxed pkmn up to 20-25.

Any ideas / fixes you guys have would be really appreciated. I've tried to make a balanced team with the tms / pokemon avalible.

Cheers :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2011
    Thinking about switching out Kangaskhan for magmar, although what nature should i pick?

Magmar - 25 - Nature ??
    Flamebody
    Leftovers
    Fire Blast - Psychic - Focus Blast - Faint Attack

My new team would look something like this :

Scizor - Bullet Punch / Quick Attack / Pursuit / Agility
    Magmar - Fire Blast / Psychic / Focus Blast / Faint Attack
    Raichu - Thunder Bolt / Surf / Focus Blast / Hyper Beam
    Gyarados - Blizzard / Surf / Bounce / Fire Blast
    Snorlax - Headbutt / Rest / Surf / Double Team or ???
    Alakazam - Charge Beam / Psychic / Focus Blast / Hyper Beam

Is this team better than my previous one? Any ideas would be awesome

I Still want to change the Hyperbeams

Should i switch Double Team for something?

Thanks guys :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2011
    I dont really see the point with Agility on Scizor when you have 2 priority attacks and pursuit, which you don't want to wait a turn to use anyway.
    X-scissor would be much better imo.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Raichu
    Teach it the Dig TM maybe?

Gyarados should be physical. Optimally, an ingame at your point would build towards:

Gyarados
    #1: -Bounce
    #2: -Bite
    #3: -(ice move) = Blizzard "will work", but ICE FANG is what you will be wanting when/if you can
    #4: Fire Blast will work, PROTECT is better, but I can't remember where thats found

Eventual Gyarados
    -Taunt / Dragon Dance
    - Ice Fang / Bite
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce

Kangaskhan is better than Magmar.

kangaskhan
    Scrappy
    - Headbutt **go back to the forest, talk to the fat guy by the tree**
    -Bite
    -Dizzy Punch
    -Rock Tomb

Good enough. The slot where you placed your Rock Tomb is the only place to consider other moves. Keep an eye out for FIGHTING type TM's like Brick Break.

Magmar
    Flame Body
    NATURE: Magmar is best at a mixed set (attack or speed up, defense down)

- Psychic
    - Faint Attack
    - Attract (only if female) / Confuse Ray / your choice, really
    - *Fire attack*

Magmars better fire moves will be Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Lava Plume. Consider that Lava Plume has a good chance to burn the enemy.

Alakazam

Just gonna say now that I don't use one much myself. Mine usually looks like:

-Kinesis
    -Psychic
    -Reflect
    -Shock Wave

Other options to consider:

Smoochum, because JYNX is pretty speedy and of similar defense to Alakazam although slower.

Lovely Kiss, Sweet kiss, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Shadow Ball, Psychic

Tentacruel & Crobat

The Poison typing might offer some variety defensively. Just don't expect a Poison attack to do what you want.

Growlithe

If it has Flash Fire, you might be onto something...

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2011
    @ Maser:

He has agility because I was thinking about eventually playing the agility / swords dance / baton pass variant but then i realised that scizor would move last because his speed sucks so im gonna get rid of it. X Scizzor or U-Turn are moves im considering but like i said, I only have moves and tms from in game up until the 4h gym.

--------

@ Pwnyta Jockey:

I was thinking teching in Dig as i have no ground moves atm but so early in the game i don't really need it + i remembered this isn't Black / White and tms can't be used over and over lol. So i'm going to hold off on the dig. We battle / will battle after every gym, before and after the E4, after each kanto gym / before and after Red. Because of this i don't want to waste tms if im going to be boxing the pokemon.

I do have a Physical Gyarados build sitting in the box that i will be switching in at a later date. Can i ask though, why Protect? (think you can buy it from department store)

My Kangaskhan already has a Fighting Move, Drain Punch. Should i replace Headbutt of Rock Tomb? I like the type coverage but Rock Tomb is weak and rubbish while Heabutt can flinch out its opponents.

With Magmar i was thinking breeding in Thunder Punch for next gym battle. I've have to hop parents begining with Ampharos - breeding hops - Magmar..

I think once spikes starts coming into play i'll tech in Starmie or something over tentacruel, Then again if tentacruel gets toxic spike then i might consider adding him.

I'm thinking about using Jynx once Smoochum has evolved. At hte moment Smoochum is just to fragile.

If you want to talk about Flashfire then out of the pokemon i can use atm Ninetails is better than Flashfire Growlithe. I chose magmar over ninetails because his atk / sp/ atk is better and he's only a little slower. However i am considering Ninetails, if i did play it i think the move set i'd eventually end up with would be :

Nasty Plot / Fire Move / Energy Ball / Hidden Power (Rock)

But thats a while off yet lol.

I found out that You can buy Swords Dance from the game corner in Goldenrod City, so my Scizor now has :

Scizor
    Leftovers
    Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Quick Attack / Pursuit

Also, i thought you could win psychic from the poke'lotto but you can't so Alakazam has Psybeam and Magmar has Confuse Ray.

Gyarados now has Surf / Thunder / Fire Blast / Bounce

Im also wondering if i should change Snorlax's Fire Blast to Surf..

I found Substitute in the gamecorner too and i was going ot switch it with Double Team but my Snorlax's Hp is only 124, 25% of that is 31. A substitute with 31 hp is rubbish is im gonna save it.

Last edited:
    Back