• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hidden Lines of Dialogue in Pokéstar Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biozilla

「FLAME」
Years
  • Hidden Lines of Dialogue in Pokéstar Studios

From the B2W2 Prima Strategy Guide

Hello, everyone. Ever since last year, off and on again I've been trying to (figurately) crack the code to a little-known easter egg found in Black 2 and White 2, one pertaining to Pokéstar Studios. As you can see from the image above, certain moves will activate "special events", that is to say, hidden dialogue for certain films. However, the games don't clue in players on the existence of this feature, nor do they indicate during filming that you've used the right move. The only way to see this dialogue in-game is at the theater once filming of a script is completed. Because of that, it seems that no one [outside of Game Freak] knows how to activate all of these events, even almost after a decade after the games' release. I think it's about time to change that.

Here's what I've gathered during my endeavor. Based on a script dump of Black 2, not every film has a special event. (The scripts of all the films are found in Message Files #181 through 260.) Furthermore, it seems like events won't activate when you use the move during a "scene" (round of combat) in which you must choose a line of dialogue. I think that has to do with those comic panel-like portraits of the actors; the panels appear during such scenes for films with good endings OR during a special event. That means that if you're searching for these easter eggs, it's actually better to avoid getting a good ending so the panels highlight the activation of a special event for your eyes.
    Hidden Lines of Dialogue in Pokéstar Studios

Either way, only being able to try a move on certain turns makes the hunt that much more frustrating.

In spite of the aforementioned hurdles, I have actually managed to find the right move for most of the special events. A few of these, I found by running Google Translate on Japanese forums, while the rest were ascertained either through brute force or thinking about what moves could be relevant to each film's scenario.

Brycen-Man Strikes Back 2: Thief
    Full Metal Cop 3: False Swipe
    Invaders 2: Gravity
    Big Monster 3: Giga Impact
    Big Monster 4: Ember
    Timegate Traveler 1: Future Sight
    Timegate Traveler 3: Future Sight
    Love and Battles 1: Attract
    Love and Battles 2: Attract
    Love and Battles 3: Attract
    Mystery Doors of the Magical Land 2: Substitute
    The Giant Woman 3: Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, or Glaciate
    The Giant Woman 4: Hyper Beam
    Red Fog of Terror 3: Defog
    Everlasting Memories 1: Tackle
    Everlasting Memories 3: Charge Beam
    Ghost Eraser 3: Foresight
    Ghost Eraser 4: Swords Dance

There is only one film left whose special event I have not activated: Everlasting Memories 2. I'm a layman to breaking into video games, so I've had to rely on the methods of brute force and intuition. The moves I thought would obviously activate the hidden dialogue haven't appeared to work, and you can imagine how tedious it is to start going through every move. I've been analyzing and reanalyzing their scripts for any hints as to which moves they could possibly be. The hidden dialogue is typically found at the bottom of the message files, but I will link the exact line they start at for convenience.
    Everlasting Memories 2: [Female Trainer] [Male Trainer]

TL;DR: Is there a way to look into the games' code to see what move triggers the hidden dialogue? Again, I'm new to messing with the inner workings of video games, so it would be great if someone more knowledgeable about such things could help with this. I'm so close to and yet so far from completely uncovering these easter eggs.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Oh, this is really cool, I don't think I've heard of this before! I'll definitely want to try triggering these on my copy of Black 2 sometime (it's such a shame that PokeStar Studios will only possibly ever see the light of day again via Unova remakes).

I don't know anything about coding and peering into game files, so I can't help you there =(
    But I assume that maybe the ROM Hacking people might be able to help?

Biozilla

「FLAME」
    Years
  • Thanks to TheHellHamster on Reddit, Big Monster 3's special event has been discovered to be activated by Giga Impact!

The activating move for The Giant Woman 4 has also been confirmed by them to be Hyper Beam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biozilla

「FLAME」
    Years
  • I have created a temporary Discord server dedicated to finding the remaining special events. If you would like to join, please let me know by posting here or messaging me.

Biozilla

「FLAME」
    Years
  • TheHellHamster has determined that Everlasting Memories 1's event is triggered by Tackle. What's unique about this special event is that there is actually a choice of dialogue when you use the move.

Biozilla

「FLAME」
    Years
  • We are still stumped on Everlasting Memories 2's special event. If you have any moves to suggest trying, please let me know.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • have you tried:
    after you
    assist
    astonish
    baton pass
    beat up
    charge
    fake out
    foul play
    giga impact
    heavy slam
    me first
    memento
    mimic
    mirror coat/move/shot
    pain split
    payback
    perish song
    play nice
    present
    protect
    role play
    scary face
    self destruct / explosion / etc.
    torment

I know it's still a lot of moves, but it's what came to mind when watching all endings.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    have you tried:
    after you
    assist
    astonish
    baton pass
    beat up
    charge
    fake out
    foul play
    giga impact
    heavy slam
    me first
    memento
    mimic
    mirror coat/move/shot
    pain split
    payback
    perish song
    play nice
    present
    protect
    role play
    scary face
    self destruct / explosion / etc.
    torment

I know it's still a lot of moves, but it's what came to mind when watching all endings.
    I suppose I should mention that they figured out all the moves sometime after creating this thread. You can see the thread with the full list here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=460313

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back