• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen hoenn rivals

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2008
    why are the rivals in hoenn friendly? there not mean and ignorrent like the kanto and johto rivals, why? i liked it when they had hatred!

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    That's just how the makers wanted it to be. R/S/E just happened to get a rival who was the child of Birch and I suppose in a "respect" manner that's how it was made to be.

Years
    The whole "rival" influence was knocked down about 5 notches in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. The rival plays no big part in the game, except for the occasional battle. And even then, the battles aren't heated like they were in the previous game.

It's surprising that no final rival battle comes before the Elite 4. The last one was in Lilycove City, which is still pretty far from being the end of the game.

I never thought the rival feature was that big of a deal. I always looked at the enemy team as more of a rival anyways.

Zet

Years
    simple it compares to the anime but since s/g/c had no rival in the anime one was created as a more "eviler, stuck up" Gary and since May was more friendly she wouldn't use pokemon for power and the same could be said about Brendan if you chose May for r/s/e so yeah it's just basically a comprehension of the anime when it comes to rivals

Years
    • NA
    • Seen Jan 12, 2008
    I miss it, too. But in the end of the game, the rivals "redeemed" theirselves and turned good and whatever. Besides, things got softer in the anime, too.

GOPgabe

Mr. 5-Star Trainer Card
    Years
    why are the rivals in hoenn friendly? there not mean and ignorrent like the kanto and johto rivals, why? i liked it when they had hatred!
    Why? Because they have fear. They lack hatred. Anyway I didn't mind the kindness, it honestly didn't get to me till the end of the game, they aren't the champion, WHAT! .

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2008
    Yes, the first time I played the game, without the guide and all..., I was really pissed off that I didn't get to battle a Swampert. He had flipping Marshtomp! WTF!!!

I liked the rival in G/S/C. He was a total dick. And his pokemon were a challenge.

Years
    the rival in this game sucked. They didn't even fully evolve their starter!
    Or, any of their other Pokemon for that matter. A final battle against Numel and Wailmer was snooze-worthy.

Correction: They did evolve Tailow into Swellow... which isn't saying much.

Back