• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homosexuality.

Years
IMO, the "Christians" that protest and carry banners that say "GOD HATES FAGS" aren't real Christians because any real Christian would know that God is love and that no sin is beyond His forgiveness.
It seems a bit demeaning to say something with the effect of: "Real Christians wouldn't do this or that. Real Christians would do this." Not that I care about these haters' feelings, but sometimes it bugs me when people say Christianity is all about love. Maybe, ideally, but I mean, as far as I know, if you call yourself a Christian and think you are one then, well, that's what you are since it's a faith and belief thing. That makes the hatred for gay people kinda a Christian thing. Or at least it's tangled into it in a way that you can't just sweep aside. I know we'd like to say Christianity is only the good parts, but it has a dark side, you know?

Years
In most cases the attitude to homosexuality has changed.

I have no problem with it and more and more people are having the same attitude. End.​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It seems a bit demeaning to say something with the effect of: "Real Christians wouldn't do this or that. Real Christians would do this." Not that I care about these haters' feelings, but sometimes it bugs me when people say Christianity is all about love. Maybe, ideally, but I mean, as far as I know, if you call yourself a Christian and think you are one then, well, that's what you are since it's a faith and belief thing. That makes the hatred for gay people kinda a Christian thing. Or at least it's tangled into it in a way that you can't just sweep aside. I know we'd like to say Christianity is only the good parts, but it has a dark side, you know?

When people talk about Christianity being love, they're not talking about some ideal situation they want though. They're talking about the literal doctrine of the church, the rules you're supposed to try your absolute hardest to follow all the time. Such as love your neighbor as yourself and don't judge people for what they do, those are outlined as laws in the church and breaking them is breaking the religious law.

Kind of like saying that although the US has a law against murder, the relatively high murder rate here implies that that murder is an American thing.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have no stance on it mainly cause of the people who influence me. A group of people I know are against gay marriage while another group of people for it. One thing I hate is that people automatically assume if you're against gay rights then that makes you homophobic. It doesn't. That's a big misconception since Jesus teaches to love everyone even the sinners. The Church doesn't exactly hate gay people they just frown upon gay marriage.
Because of all the above I've become very neutral about the issue.

Last edited:

Bela

Banned
Years
In case this hasn't been clearly stated before, the only issue that really matters here are the legal implications of being married--tax status, visitation rights in hospitals, property rights, etc. that are afforded to married couples.

Civil unions do not provide all of these benefits of being legally bonded with another.

What has been advocated for is that gay couples be legally recognized and receive all the benefits that straight couples receive. That's really all there is to this. The religious aspect need not be entertained; the laws of this country do not and should not bend toward the will of religion--that's what a separation of church and state is all about!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
There's a huge misconception that about Christianity that plays into this issue. Christianity (or at least the school of thought that I was brought up in) doesn't condemn being homosexual, but rather frowns upon homosexual actions (i.e. buttsecks and the like), but Jesus also preached that we shall not judge our fellow men because we're all sinners. Who's to know that your sin of hatred and discrimination don't equate to more than a couple nights of homoerotic pleasure?

IMO, the "Christians" that protest and carry banners that say "GOD HATES FAGS" aren't real Christians because any real Christian would know that God is love and that no sin is beyond His forgiveness.

I don't think it's that huge of a misconception. I understand that a lot of Christian denominations and churches follow the "hate the sin, not the sinner" school of thought, and I guess that's better than just hating us outright, but really even that isn't good enough.

More than anything, it seems like a loophole out of the perception of homophobia. Sex and sexuality are part of the human experience. Everybody is a sexual being, and therefore to indicate that any kind of sex (or more importantly, sex between any two particular people) is not OK is a direct reflection on your attitudes toward the people concerned.

To suggest that gay sex is wrong (even as opposed to homosexuality in general) or to suggest that gay people should try to abstain from acting on their sexual urges is still discrimination. It's still homophobia. It's still wrong. Why should homosexual people be tasked with the psychologically unhealthy task of denying themselves sexual gratification?

I'm sorry, but it's just not good enough.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I don't think it's that huge of a misconception. I understand that a lot of Christian denominations and churches follow the "hate the sin, not the sinner" school of thought, and I guess that's better than just hating us outright, but really even that isn't good enough.

More than anything, it seems like a loophole out of the perception of homophobia. Sex and sexuality are part of the human experience. Everybody is a sexual being, and therefore to indicate that any kind of sex (or more importantly, sex between any two particular people) is not OK is a direct reflection on your attitudes toward the people concerned.

To suggest that gay sex is wrong (even as opposed to homosexuality in general) or to suggest that gay people should try to abstain from acting on their sexual urges is still discrimination. It's still homophobia. It's still wrong. Why should homosexual people be tasked with the psychologically unhealthy task of denying themselves sexual gratification?

I'm sorry, but it's just not good enough.
To play devil's advocate, what if those who think that specifically don't limit that rule strictly to homosexual couples. That argument is really more about sex outside of the purposes of procreation - even between heterosexual couples.

... as absolutely unrealistic as that is.

I would assume most Catholics (as I'm that, so I'm not going to speak for other denominations) use birth control both inside and outside of marriage and are sexually active before marriage. ...they just might not want to admit it. So, I don't think it's right for an individual to try to enforce that when they're so not applying it to themselves. At the very least it is hypocritical. But as an overarching religious guideline, I think it's okay. Not realistic or practical, but a suggestion. Most Catholics are probably cafeteria Catholics anyway. I believe in God, but I don't care what you do in the privacy of your bedroom. Doesn't affect me.

Huggie

Mewtwo lover :3
Years
I don't have a stance on it, really. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it. Homosexuals are people who happen to like the same sex. That shouldn't outcast them like it does and make an entire issue out of them serving the country, marrying each other, or adopting a child.
You pretty much covered me right there!!! Since when are people and religions able to judge someone by their sex preferences? Nature doesn't make mistakes, people do! And as far as I know, many animals just like humans choose a mate of the same sex to spent their life with. So what?
They are not a sub category of the human species, they are humans and should be treated likewise. But I still don't understand why there's such a deal with homosexuals.
What I believe is that people are still afraid of the differences between humans. I find it funny that I have blond hair and I am not outcasted by the dark haired people, I have green eyes and I'am not outcasted by the brown eyed ones but if I had dark skin I would probably be on the black list of many people...All racistic opinions have their base on what is supposed to be normal and what isn't. But there is no right or wrong, there is only difference

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
Years
I have no strong views on homosexuality; except that people who are homophobic get on my nerves. People who are homophobic and believe in the bible are hypocrites - I'm sure god would want them to accept everyone how they are, but as these people are against gays, that destroys the purpose, yes?

I completley agree with Patchisou Yutohu, they have as much right as anyone else in this world and deserve to be treated equally. That means they can do anything that anyone can do.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 4, 2012
Im not gay... But they have every right to marry... Why should a man and a women, who hate eachother, marry over a gay couple who love eachother dearly? Gays dont damage society in any way,shape,or form... If you dont like gays... KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I believe in God, but I don't care what you do in the privacy of your bedroom. Doesn't affect me.

The strange thing is, there are more than just a few people who actually believe that they have the right to dictate what you do in the privacy of your home. There are those who believe people should only engage in sex to procreate, and that when having sex, only the missionary position is to be used, with no foreplay or other forms of mutual pleasure. They are adamantly against contraception of any kind, and definitely anti-abortion. People like this make it their business to tell people how they should live. And although their numbers are few, their voices are very loud.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
^^ They have a right to their voice as much as anyone, just like you have the right to not listen.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015

Except where their advocacy efforts begin to affect the lives of others.

I agree with this.

Often Opponents of gay marriage state that their beliefs (that marriage is between only a man and woman) should be respected. However, if these opponents were positioned into a similar scenario, they would understand that their actions go beyond just "beliefs".

For example, let's say that a growing number of people wanted to abolish all marriages, including heterosexual marriage based on their personal "beliefs". The same people who oppose homosexual marriage, would see these "beliefs" as unfounded and unacceptable.

I firmly believe that in order for us to live the lives that we choose to live, we must allow all others to live the lives they choose to live...assuming that ones choices do not directly harm others. Two people getting married does not affect me, why should I be able to take that choice away? Opponents of gay marriage should choose to not get married to the same sex, and marry someone of the opposite sex if they believe that it is morally correct.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
Two people getting married does not affect me, why should I be able to take that choice away?

Yes, but most people who are against homosexual marriage say that it DOES affect them because it is against their religion and that if they let the homosexuals get married they(the religious fanatics) are not doing their duty to their religion.

Shining Raichu

Years
The thing is, they shouldn't have the right to an opinion on this, because it doesn't affect them. If you don't have a stake in same-sex marriage, then you have no right to oppose it. Why do you need an opinion on it at all? Just for the sake of having an opinion?

"I don't believe that two men should be able to marry"

Why not? What the hell does it even have to do with you? Go away, douchebag.

EDIT: I didn't read -ty-'s post carefully enough; he pretty much said exactly what I said. But I'm leaving this here anyway for THE PASSION.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yes, but most people who are against homosexual marriage say that it DOES affect them because it is against their religion and that if they let the homosexuals get married they(the religious fanatics) are not doing their duty to their religion.

How does it affect them? It makes them angry and upset, I suppose. But you know what? That's not going to cause them to fall over and die. That's their own issue they need to get over. It's not like someone kills a child for every gay couple that decides they want to be married. Now if THAT happened, that'd be a good reason to oppose it. But that's not the case. When you have an opinion on something that doesn't affect you in any way, form, or fashion, it's nice you have it, and you're free to have it, but it just doesn't matter. It's not your life. It's theirs. If a gay couple wants to ruin their lives and get married like us straight people, let them. No harm done to you or anyone else.

This shouldn't have to be an issue. We have bigger things at hand that actually do affect lives in negative ways. We shouldn't have to focus on something that should have never been a problem in the first place.

And as a Christian, it's not my personal fault that two men want to get married. God made homosexuals for a reason, I reckon. To piss off His biggest followers.

Shining Raichu

Years
Sydian said:
It's not like someone kills a child for every gay couple that decides they want to be married. Now if THAT happened, that'd be a good reason to oppose it. But that's not the case

Noooo, that would be a good reason to go and find the homophobic person killing children and send them swiftly to prison :P

Anyway, on a serious note I agree with what you say. We should have specified that in order to have an opinion on same-sex marriage they should have a stake in the matter which exists outside of their head.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015

Note taken, however, in order for a person to have religious freedoms, that person must allow others religious freedoms.

For example, a Catholic should not be able to dictate that Jewish people should have to accept Jesus into their lives as their savior. Conversely, Jewish people should not be able to dictate that Catholics disregard the New Testament and the belief that the son of god has already inhabited the Earth.

Ultimately, you are correct to an extent, with the exception that it is justified with any amount of logic. Many people of faith overlook that their ability to act and believe in accordance to their faith depends on all other people having that same religious freedom. With that being said, I think that the majority of people who oppose same sex marriage look at homosexuality as something worse than many other sins listed in the bible. I wonder why???

Let's take up Greed or Masturbation for example. Both are spelled out as sins in the Bible. Why don't you see many Christian/Jews protesting and advocating for legislation to ban such sinful acts, and therefore fulfilling their religious duties?

It's because many Christians, like most people, desire to have many possessions and luxuries. Similarly, most Christians, and people, have the desire for "sexual release". However, most Christians are heterosexual, and do not desire to either have a romantic or sexual relationship with someone of the same sex. Therefore, it's clearly just a bunch of hypocrisy; although proclaiming to act in the best interest of their faith, in reality they are subjectively excluding whichever sins that they choose to act upon. Also, there are many people who are non-religious who are in opposition of same sex marriage because of its "moral" stigma, or it's just "gross".

We humans have selfish tendencies. I, myself, have overlooked a lot of my own prejudices over the years. It seems so easy, but in action, it seems so hard for us to not judge other people...even for those of us who are self-proclaimed accepting and non-judgmental people. However, we do have the ability to embrace each others differences, and I think we will continue to become more accepting people in the coming years.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_homosexuality

If you read that article, you will see that homosexuality is seen as a sin in Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. All other religions, including all Indian based religions, either don't have a clear stand, or don't have direct reference to homosexuality. Most of their views are made in modern times, when most religious fanatics have already made homosexuality seem like a 'sinful' act. But in most religions, it's not seen as a sin, it's discouraged.

I'll repeat what I'd said in my earlier post, these religious fanatics should peek out of their caves, and look at the world outside. They'll eventually see that there are other religions out there as well, who don't have a problem with homosexuality. YOU PEOPLE DO NOT RULE THE WORLD. There are other religions out there as well, and banning gay marriage and forcing people to see homosexuality as a sin disrespects the beliefs of those who are a part of other religions. On one hand, these fanatics expect us to respect their beliefs, but on the other they are publicly ready to ignore the beliefs of others?

Most of the religions who are are actually opposing homosexuality even though their religious view doesn't have a say in it, are only doing so because homosexuality in modern times is seen as 'gross' and 'sinful'. Other than that, there is absolutely no reason to oppose it, other than the stereotypes that already exist.

In my country India, which is a secular country with people of almost all religions in the world living here, which includes people of Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, and all Indian religions, Homosexuality is not banned anywhere. Homosexual relations were decriminalized in 2009. The only reason there was a law banning this was because according to statistics about 86% of people with AIDS got it due to gay sex. But with my country now openly promoting condoms and awareness about this the numbers have dropped and homosexuality is accepted everywhere.

No offense to any person.

Back