• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hoppip, Skitty, PayDay and Pokemon Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    Hoppip was able to learn PayDay in Gen II, via breeding from a Pikachu or other compatible Pokemon that learned it in Gen I from the TM. Since Gen II, there has been no Pokemon capable of learning PayDay in the same egg group as Hoppip.

With one exception.

Pokemon Box awards a Skitty that knows PayDay.

Recently, I acquired this Skitty. However, RNG being what it is, it hatched female, and I don't have a GameShark handy. -_-

The question is:

whether the belief that Hoppip can no longer learn PayDay via breeding is merely an inference from the fact that there is, with this exception, no longer a Pokemon in the same egg group,

OR

whether it has been determined that the changes to inheritable egg moves in Gen III specifically preclude the inheritance of the move.

Has anyone tested this, or otherwise know for sure?

And anyone who doesn't know for sure...have a male Skitty with PayDay from Box they'd be interested in trading for something in particular?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think that Skitty is always hatched female, but I'm not totally sure. Anyway, Hoppip could only get Pay Day if a Pikachu or Raichu learned it in RBY, so that's not easy in its own right. Pay Day hasn't been listed as an egg move for Hoppip since gen II, so I'm pretty sure it's impossible to pass it on to one at this point, even if the Box Skitty was male. It's no longer an egg move for Hoppip, and that's that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    25m-75f =P

Ok, it hasn't been "listed", but like I said, is that inferential based on egg group or has anyone actually checked?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I didn't mean gender ratio, I meant the specific Pokemon Box Skitty. I think it is always female. Looked it up and it's not, but that doesn't change my original post. And I doubt anyone's wanted to check because Hoppip doesn't make good use of Pay Day. It's no longer listed, so I assume that can only mean it's no longer able to be passed on. There are a few other Pokemon that lost egg moves from one generation to another, so it's not uncommon. It doesn't need the move anyway.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    OK, so has anyone actually checked, or own a male Box Skitty?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Hoppip can't learn Payday. Only Meowth and Purrloin can legally learn Payday now. Skitty is an event Move, but Hoppip can no longer learn Payday. It was completely removed from its list.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    Hoppip can't learn Payday. Only Meowth and Purrloin can legally learn Payday now. Skitty is an event Move, but Hoppip can no longer learn Payday. It was completely removed from its list.

May I ask how you know? Are you just going by the materials or have you tested this?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • No one is going to test it. We know this by looking at lists. Hoppip can not learn Pay Day. End of story. If you really want to test it, hack in a male Skitty with Pay Day and go breed it with a female Hoppip and find your answer.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    No one is going to test it. We know this by looking at lists. Hoppip can not learn Pay Day. End of story. If you really want to test it, hack in a male Skitty with Pay Day and go breed it with a female Hoppip and find your answer.

Someone saying that someone else said so is not a very strong basis for so believing if no one has ever actually checked it. As I pointed out, it may be merely an assumption driven by the fact that there is not normally a Pokemon with Pay Day in the same egg group.

Barring such a response, what you propose, is exactly what I intend to do. I'll let you know.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well... firstly, this isn't related to the fourth generation games as you're talking about Pokemon Box, so hence I'm closing the thread; check you're in the right section please (also note gaming sections have help/question thread stickies to use as well).
    Someone saying that someone else said so is not a very strong basis for so believing if no one has ever actually checked it. As I pointed out, it may be merely an assumption driven by the fact that there is not normally a Pokemon with Pay Day in the same egg group.
    The move would also have to be listed by the game's data as an egg move for it to possibly learn from breeding, and usually such lists are compiled by people hacking the game and taking the data directly rather than trial and error to see what could be passed down, so due to that I'd be surprised that it could learn such a move as it is only listed as knowing Pay Day via Egg Moves in gen 2 (e.g. on serebii, veekun, etc).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back