• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Hordes - Your Thoughts [Discussion]

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    So I finally saw my first two hordes this evening; first, a group of Gulpin, then a group of Scraggy. For those not familiar with hordes, here's a little info on them:
    - they are all the same species or, in gender opposite cases, those two species (like Miltank and Tauros).
    - they show up a few levels lower than standard encounters; for instance, Lv.5 on Route 5 where encounters are often Lv.7-9
    - you can't catch any of them until there is only one left (then catch that one); this is similar to double encounters in Unova

I had a very fun time with a horde of Scraggy, which I still needed for my Pokédex. Unfortunately for me, my leader was weak to Fighting without all-hit moves, so Pidgey had to finish the job. I did get my Scraggy however. :)

So what are your experiences and thoughts with hordes so far? What hordes have you had to face, and (possible spoiler) where? Did you have a difficult time dealing with them? And how do you like this battle concept overall?

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I think it's really fun. I'm not sure how it works in regards to trying to catch one...

Came across a horde of Yanma, knocked them all out with one sweep of Icy Wind frmo my Aurora.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    without a strong move or area of effect (like surf) move its annoying to fight hordes. especially if those pokemon have sturdy ability/or like to use annoyance moves like sand attack.

Sirfetch’d

without a strong move or area of effect (like surf) move its annoying to fight hordes. especially if those pokemon have sturdy ability/or like to use annoyance moves like sand attack.

Going to pretty much just agree with the poster here about how sometimes these hordes are a bit hard to fight, but regardless I just love them. I think it is an interesting approach to battles that really tests your skills which normally doesn't happen with wild encounters. I encountered a horde and had a bit of trouble despite being 3 times as high on levels. Really looking forward to encountering more hordes later on with better Pokemon and seeing what it is like having a move that can wipe out the entire horde all at once.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Gulpin horde @ Rt 5.

It's kind of annoying just hitting there taking hits from 5 Pokemon when you can only use one, and you can only hit one at a time. But it's an interesting take on battles, so maybe I'll change my opinion later on, when I get a multi-target move or something.

Years
    Mime jr horde in glittering cave

I was lucky 1 of them had a better defence (because of natures or something I guess) and when all the others fainted after 2 weak hits he was still there so I caught it

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Do you require honey in order to attract hordes?
    No, it just increases the chance of encountering one in a locale. I saw three random(?) Gulpin hordes in a row (I actually ran from the third, it was a "C'mon man!" moment).

I can now add a four Plusle/one Minun horde to my list. Pansear happened to be leading at that moment and just incinerated them. I later found a single Plusle to catch. I still need Minun.

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
    Years
    They actually aren't always gender opposites like Tauros and Miltank!
    I think just generally Pokémon that are related in some way. I ran into a group of Zangoose + one Seviper and to my amazement the Zangoose started attacking Seviper instead of my own Pokémon!

All in all i think it's a rather neat add to the game - it kind of gives it a more realistic feel. : )

Years
    I like the horde battles, they come up for me just often enough to be surprising and unique . I caught some cool pokes with it like, Scraggy and Yanma.

I got into a horde battle with a pack of Servipers that all used swagger on each other and they all had berries that cured confusion (Can't remember their name). I still managed to catch on at the end though :)

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Did anybody else see the text about how Hordes can carry Hidden Ability Pokemon? I'm pretty sure it said it in game that's why I'm excited to see more. I just bring this up because it seems nobody else mentioned it.

Off topic, hey Cyclone!! I'm back!!

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    When I'm trying to catch a Pokemon in a horde, it's annoying as heck.
    When I am just trying to gain EXP I love hordes :P

Last edited:
    Years
    I tried to battle an entire horde of Mareep one time, and lemme tell you: they set up my hatred for hordes.. it's essentially five against one. I defeated one easily, but then one of the other four went on to paralyze me .___.

Also, I dislike how their levels are lower than those to other Pokémon within the same area

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    I absolutely dislike the horde. I only fought one for Nidoran (F).

They're seriously underleveled and my Pokemon have to resist 5 continuous attacks.

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
    Years
    I haven't encountered a horde myself yet, though I do like the concept of them- I don't have any moves that target more than one Pokemon at once, however, so I can see where they'd be pesky and irritating.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    I hated them till my vivillion learnt struggle bug which takes them all out at once

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    This horde of Scragy just KO my Pancham with 5 consecutive low kicks! So brutal :'(
    That happened to me with another Normal-type Pokémon in my party. Just swept by Low Kick and no hit-all moves. Pidgey had to fill in. It was all right because my Normal type was the highest-leveled, so I got to gain experience without it for a couple of battles afterwards.

They actually aren't always gender opposites like Tauros and Miltank!
    I think just generally Pokémon that are related in some way. I ran into a group of Zangoose + one Seviper and to my amazement the Zangoose started attacking Seviper instead of my own Pokémon!
    ...XD

I hope I get to see that. Where do you first encounter these species?

Did anybody else see the text about how Hordes can carry Hidden Ability Pokemon? I'm pretty sure it said it in game that's why I'm excited to see more. I just bring this up because it seems nobody else mentioned it.

Off topic, hey Cyclone!! I'm back!!
    Welcome back! I've been quiet myself lately, but am trying to be more active while playing the game and then again when I go back to hacks.

I'll check my horde-caught Scraggy. I'm curious if this is true.

UPDATE: My Scraggy is Shed Skin. Not its hidden ability.

Last edited:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    That happened to me with another Normal-type Pokémon in my party. Just swept by Low Kick and no hit-all moves. Pidgey had to fill in. It was all right because my Normal type was the highest-leveled, so I got to gain experience without it for a couple of battles afterwards.

...XD

I hope I get to see that. Where do you first encounter these species?

Welcome back! I've been quiet myself lately, but am trying to be more active while playing the game and then again when I go back to hacks.

I'll check my horde-caught Scraggy. I'm curious if this is true.

UPDATE: My Scraggy is Shed Skin. Not its hidden ability.
    I have confirmed it actually. One of the five is a Hidden Ability. Unless Roggenrola gained another ability I haven't seen yet. Used a mass attack and all but 1 survived with Sturdy. As it only has Sturdy and it's hidden as of Black 2 I believe this is true.

Back