• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Horrible pokerus story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty118

Oshawott for the win
Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    Beware fellow pokemon lovers, the story you will read below is so horrifying, so terrible, so saddening, it will make you cradle your DS in your arms, sobbing and praying it will never happen to you. This is my story of losing pokerus in under 5 minutes because of a game crapping out.

For the past couple of days I have been enjoying my Pokemon white version on my DS lite. It's a fun game but what happens next has made the experience a whole lot less satisfying. I was at the 8th gym and my team got pretty beat up, so I went to the pokemon center to heal. Before, I checked my PC to withdraw my useless HM slave for the battle up ahead. All of a sudden, I noticed a pink icon in the description of my HM slave.

It had Pokerus.

As I progressed through my team. I noticed my Axew, Samurott, Excadrill, and Litwick all had Pokerus. I was so happy. I literally jumped for joy. I told my dad, my mom ( who none the less could of given a rats butt about it) I told them it had a 21458 chance of happening ( or something under those lines). My dad was impressed mainly because it was so rare (same with my mom). I checked with Nurse Joy and she told me my pokemon had it. For 2 seconds, I looked up and looked back down while I mashed the B button to hurry up the process.

When I looked back down the talking was down and I held down the button to exit. To my horror, it was frozen. My heart started to beat really fast and I quickly switched it off and turned it back on. Turns out, the 10 minutes between I saved last and found out my pokemon had pokerus was when I encountered the pokemon that had the rare virus.

My 5 pokemon lost the virus and now im back on my journey without this virus that would surely benefit me later on.
    :(

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2013
    I'm sure someone can trade you a pokemon with the virus for free ;)

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    thats really unfortunate...its amazing that you got it at all, don't feel bad, if it happened once, it could happen again

loveheartsxox

poke' fan for over 10 years
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2011
    That's odd because I have had Poke'rus quite a few times in the years I have played Pokemon and for days before now. Infact I have it right this second and it has lasted all day. Maybe you were just unlucky.

Maybe if we exchange friend codes I could pass it to you if I still have it.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Really? It's rare? I get it all the time. I thought you were freaking out because I was under the conclusion that pokerus happens to your pokemon once and then never again, but I thought it was common. Oh well. Good luck catching it again.

pokehearts

I like trains.
    Years
  • Man, thats harsh, feel your pain. I almost got a trade for a shiny klink, wi-fi choose to hate me that night. :(
    I think the mod forever can give you free pokerus, lots of other people can to

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • What is Pokérus? never heard of that is it good or bad to have.

It is a very good thing to have! It is a virus that doubles the EV's a pokemon can gain in a battle and you can transfer it to other pokemon. It does expire in three days (Reduced to one in Black and White, never if it's stashed in the PC), but the effects it gives never do and if you have a few carriers in your box, you can give it to entire teams! The only catch is that it is three times rarer than a shiny and many people have been playing for years without seeing it even once. Myself? I have seen it just three times in my ten years of playing. You can get this either by trading with someone who is very generous or by battling an infected wild pokemon. Good luck with that, because there is absolutely no way to tell if your opponent has it and you may have actually run from a few of them without even knowing!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    That is very unfortunate. Weirdly enough I keep getting Pokerus. I got it on HeartGold - my main game - then on my next run, which was a Pearl Nuzlocke, then I got it again on my first White run. That's 3 runs in a row. Pretty lucky.

What I'm saying really is that I'm sure you'll get it again sometime.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2011
    That's harsh.

But you can always purchase the EV boosting holdable items at the battle subway.

Years
  • I can't believe your game crashed, this has never happened to me in the 10 or so years I've been playing Pokemon.

I've been lucky enough to catch Pokerus on two seperate occasions, once in Platinum and the other in Pearl, it's not the pokerus I want though, I'm yet to come across my first shiny :(

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    That sucks. I've never encountered Pokerus, but my games have never crashed either. Very odd that it would do that.

Citrus Knight

you've got bruises&&bitemarks
    Years
  • Aw man. I've had that happen to me before, when my game has frozen right after I've done something :U Namely after I beat the Master Rank in Contests with my Beautifly /facepalm.
    I bet you can get someone to trade you one with Pokerus, though :3
    In fact I was just busy spreading it amongst my team to be EV trained yesterday.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okaaay guys, after seeing all these posts, yeah it's sad that he lost pokerus, but the fact that the replies are like "oh hey I got pokerus in so and so - sorry though" I don't think this is really something that can be discussed anymore. Really, from the way it's going it belongs in Pokemon Gaming Central, buuut there's already a thread there that covers it [ pokerus vs shinies ], which is where people are posting how common pokerus and shinies are for them (which could include their pokerus experiences). Although it's not quite the same, from the replies here, they seem to fit into that thread.

Anyway, this thread could have fitted into the travel journal, because it is something you've experienced, or alternatively, WTF Moments - mainly because that thread caters for negative moments, too.

Either way, sorry you couldn't keep pokerus, Rusty, but after everyone being so kind here, I'm sure someone will organise a time to give it to you via vms or pms.

Horrible pokerus story

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back