• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Host

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    So, Over my time here I have noticed that from time to time the forums will get very slow or sometimes it wont even load or you get a error but it has been happening even more so lately because the community as we know grows and grows everyday.

For those of you that don't know that much tech stuff, The forum runs on a dedicated host/server in which has limits.

My question is what are these limits and what are the server specs. If you don't feel you should release this info than may I ask is PokeCommunity going to ever get a new host ?

Years
    My question is what are these limits and what are the server specs. If you don't feel you should release this info than may I ask is PokeCommunity going to ever get a new host ?

Moving to a new server/host isn't cheap. This is the reason why, I am pretty sure anyway.

They aren't as bad as the use to be, so unless you would like to donate, then I don't think much is going to change.​

Morgnarok

Years
    I was just woundering, i do agree its not to bad as far as getting the error message but i still have almost 75% of the time i'm on PC that it takes like 10-30 seconds to make one post to load. I am not complaining, I am more so just curious if they have any plans to move to a new server/host or upgrade the current one so it can be less lag free and have less limits.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I was just woundering, i do agree its not to bad as far as getting the error message but i still have almost 75% of the time i'm on PC that it takes like 10-30 seconds to make one post to load. I am not complaining, I am more so just curious if they have any plans to move to a new server/host or upgrade the current one so it can be less lag free and have less limits.

I hardly notice. When things take a while to load I go do something else and look back. :>

It's just something you're going to have to bear with if you want to be on PC, imo.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Switching boxes is such a pain, have to back up, transfer, set up, then wait for DNS records to replicate >.>

I've asked Rukario about this once, he said that the current server is starting to reach it's limits, to move to another dedicated server that has more power is going to cost more money per month as well. The community simply currently doesn't have the funds.

Morgnarok

Years
    Ya, ill put up with it because i love Pc, If I wasn't 17, Sat at home all day doing noting & had a real job i wouldn't be using the money for anything and would donate 75% of it to here, but i have no job not even a part time one for a few hours a week.

We just need to get more people in maybe that are rich and can donate money monthly xD

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    the slow posts are partly your computer/connection's fault... especially if you use the quick reply/edit boxes as they use javascript processed on your machine.

other times, when busy, the posts get queued, and processed by the database in order, due to some types of posts/queries locking the db table in question. that is designed to limit db corruption.

not much else we can do about the numbers of users on at once, except, as stated above, get a new much more costly machine to serve PC from.

Morgnarok

Years
    the slow posts are partly your computer/connection's fault... especially if you use the quick reply/edit boxes as they use javascript processed on your machine.

other times, when busy, the posts get queued, and processed by the database in order, due to some types of posts/queries locking the db table in question. that is designed to limit db corruption.

not much else we can do about the numbers of users on at once, except, as stated above, get a new much more costly machine to serve PC from.

I doubt its my computer when it comes to slow posting. My computer is a

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.00GHz
    2 GB Ram

My Computer has noting ever running when im on the forums other than Google chrome which i use for browsering and Msn. It barley reaches 10% process used when im using these 2. On top of that my pc has a 150 Gb hard drive and only 25 GB is used and 75% of the used is because of windows 7 OS, So as you can see i have noting on my pc really. It is mainly for just browsering the internet.

I thank you thou for taking the time to post here and clear things up a bit, On other note if it is because a failure of one of my apps/programs not being up to date, what should i check and see if needs updating ?

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013

I doubt its my computer when it comes to slow posting. My computer is a

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.00GHz
    2 GB Ram

My Computer has noting ever running when im on the forums other than Google chrome which i use for browsering and Msn. It barley reaches 10% process used when im using these 2. On top of that my pc has a 150 Gb hard drive and only 25 GB is used and 75% of the used is because of windows 7 OS, So as you can see i have noting on my pc really. It is mainly for just browsering the internet.

I thank you thou for taking the time to post here and clear things up a bit, On other note if it is because a failure of one of my apps/programs not being up to date, what should i check and see if needs updating ?

You're forgetting that it could be related to your ISP. If you have a slow connection it doesn't matter how fast your computer is. ^^;; Check a site like SpeedTest to get your download/upload speeds. That could help diagnose your problem.

Morgnarok

Years
    I am in USA & I have a 54 Mbps Upload/Download speed.

I got verizon fios aka fiber optics.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Its most likely a light-cyclepacket jam at the server. Not much we can do ATM. I'd like to help but I'm just a poor college student right now. But when I graduate and make the big bucks I'll remember the community.

Back