• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How come Jynx didnt get an evo when..

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    Eelctabuzz & Magmar did? those three got pre-evos together but they didnt give jynx a evo with electivire & magmortar. it was kinda annoying then and its annoying now again cuz we have 649 pokemon and 650 would just be better haha (minor OCD)

Years
  • My guess is that they either:

A:
    Didn't want to to deal with the character anymore after the big racism controversy.

B:
    They couldn't come up with a decent design. Then again, half the Pokemon in the 4th gen were horribly designed anyways, so it's probably A.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • Oh dear, the Jynx controversy! LOL I love Jynx! I totally think they make an evo for it at some point! I never thought it was racist! I was a kid, and kids don't even think of things like that.

Krizor

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Yeah, I think the Racism Controversy probably had something to do with it.

They probably didn't want to take a chance on offending people by coming up with an evo for her. But there's always a chance she could receive one in the future.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    wasnt the racism stemmed from a episode? if they were worried about that in games they wouldnt have lorelai have jynx in leafgreen and they wouldnt have the 2nd gym leader in Unova/Isshu aswell as the elite four fighting trainer.
    also the 4th gen hate...i feel like its not that bad...tangrowth lickilicky rhyperior are the three worst pokemon like ever and not necessary but thats it for me theres nothing terrible.. 2 of my favorite pokemon are gen IV, togekiss & Gallade.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was hoping for a Jynx evolution in the future until I saw this. Now I don't think that GF would give Jynx an evolved form any time soon because of the controversy it caused in the past.

Years
  • wasnt the racism stemmed from a episode? if they were worried about that in games they wouldnt have lorelai have jynx in leafgreen and they wouldnt have the 2nd gym leader in Unova/Isshu aswell as the elite four fighting trainer.
    I don't think those two things are related. The entire controversy was about how Jynx appeared to be a negative racial stereotype of black people. They were mad about her completely black face, huge lips, wiggly hips, etc. This has nothing to do with the "colored" NPCs in BW. Those trainers aren't negative stereotypes to any ethnicity/culture in any way (Well, maybe to the US, but it's okay to make fun of America. =P), so no one cares.

Game Freak was worried about people accusing them of putting in racial stereotypes, not other races.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    Do you even know what the controversy was about? The entire controversy was about how Jynx appeared to be a negative racial stereotype of black people. They were mad about her completely black face, huge lips, wiggly hips, etc. This has nothing to do with the "colored" NPCs in BW. Those trainers aren't negative stereotypes to any ethnicity/culture in any way (Well, maybe to the US), so no one cares.

Game Freak was worried about people accusing them of putting in racial stereotypes, not other races.
    "the 2nd gym leader looks like she just got done pickin cotton"
    thats a quote from one of my friends in response to seeing her.
    and if they were worried why did they keep Jynx in the games? i feel like they could give her an evolution easily, smoochum wasnt "black", the evo wouldnt have to be.

idk ju sayin

Years
  • "the 2nd gym leader looks like she just got done pickin cotton"
    thats a quote from one of my friends in response to seeing her.
    and if they were worried why did they keep Jynx in the games? i feel like they could give her an evolution easily, smoochum wasnt "black", the evo wouldnt have to be.

idk ju sayin
    Hehe, well Aloe actually does kind of resemble the "Mammy" stereotype, and here title is "Natural-born Mama". But I don't think Aloe is really anything people will get mad about; especially since parents won't pay attention and little kids don't think about those types of things. And I guess the controversy isn't really anything to stop them from giving Jynx an evo. Maybe they just wanted to make it so Electabuzz's family was in one version and Magmar's was in the other.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • They recolored her to purple to avoid even more controversy. Just like Dragon Ball did with Mr. Popo when they made Dragon Ball Kai. They didn't make evolutions of pokemon like Pinsir and Tauros so I don't see why Jynx is so special. Even though she had a pre-evolution, like the other two.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • Eelctabuzz & Magmar did? those three got pre-evos together but they didnt give jynx a evo with electivire & magmortar. it was kinda annoying then and its annoying now again cuz we have 649 pokemon and 650 would just be better haha (minor OCD)

Well, this also happened to other similar pokemon.

Gloom got a split evo(bellossom), While Weepinbell didn't.
    Magneton got an evo(magnezone), while electrode didn't.

Can't think of much others... But i'm sure there are more.

[quote="Kirbychu]My guess is that they either:

A: Didn't want to to deal with the character anymore after the big racism controversy[/quote].

What? Jynx got a pre-evo in gen 2, which was after the big racism controversy...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Well, another difference between Jynx and the other two is that Jynx is a dual-type while Magmar and Electabuzz are not. Not a good reason to deny it an evolution, but Game Freak doesn't need a good reason to decide to create or not create another Pokemon... they can pull any excuse out of a hat.

IMO, an evo of Jynx could go either way... it could turn it into something that actually looks, well, not creepy. Or it could result in something with an extra layer of creepy on it.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Well, Jynx may not technically be a part of the "trio."

Its base-stat allotment is less similar than Electabuzz and Magmar's, and it's dual-typed meaning it is not part of the Fire Vs. Lightning rivalry, whereas if it was solely Ice type it would fit.

Years
  • To add on to what ravecat said, Electabuzz and Magmar are counterparts, as their appearance is more like each other's than when compared to jynx, and Electabuzz was a version exclusive to Firered, while Magmar was exclusive to LG.
    So perhaps Jynx was essentially 'cut out' by GF.
    Anyhow, Here's some food for thought
    Artist is Cascadegonpory

Years
  • If we're talking about the rasicm controversy, why did Jynx get a pre-evo?

What? Jynx got a pre-evo in gen 2, which was after the big racism controversy...

It wasn't after the controversy, it was during it. You guys realize that Generation 2 was almost/already out in Japan while Jynx was being criticized here, right?
    They wouldn't cut a Pokemon at they very last minute for something like that, and Jynx still had a black face in the Japanese versions of GSC.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I dobt the controversy has anything to do with this since Porygon didn't get one, but two evolutions, after the seizure epsiode.

It's probably because that Jynx is very strong as it is and really doesn't need more power.

Back