• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did Gary gain 10 badges in Kanto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • In "The Battle of the Badge" Gary shows that he has 10 badges and is going for his 11th by battling Giovanni, I'm curious as to whether he earned some Johto badges or if these were just some other Gyms in Kanto that were never shown in the anime or games.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well it's been shown many times in the anime that there are more than 8 gym leaders in the anime. Alot of other characters in the anime like rivals have been shown with different badges that ash hasn't had. I this shows there are gym all over the region in the anime but you only need to defeat 8 gym leaders to enter the league.
    Here are some examples: (Credit to bubapedia for images)
    DreamBadges.png

Other_badges.JPG

Otoshi_badges.JPG

Morrison_badge.JPG

Ash, misty and brock have also met other non-game gym leaders in the anime like Dorian from the coastline gym in johto.

Ayselipera

I've heard before that there were 15 gyms in the Kanto region, that being one gym for every type. Minus Dark and Steel types of course. Anyways it would make sense that Ash only went for eight badges compared to a possible 15. Most of his badges in the first season were given to him without even finishing his gym leader battles plus the games only featured eight gyms so then changing it to a higher number in the anime might have been confusing for fans.

Either that or it was easier to just wrap up the first season of the anime with eight gyms and leave it at that.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • Because he's Gary Oak. He invents new gyms just to get the badges from them.

Lol I actually agree with this. My friends at school and I where talking about this as well. Its funny how Gary Oak has 10 badges when there is 8 but yeah he probably invented them or got different badges from something else.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Because Gary Oak pwns Ash.

And he probably visited towns that Ash never set foot in. After all the show is notorious for inserting random hick towns and even some larger cities that don't appear at all in the games.

Years
  • There are more than eight gyms in each region although it is kinda funny how Ash says he won't be able to compete in the Pokemon League without a Marsh badge when Sabrina's dad warned him off.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Gary must of like purfume if he got into Erika's gym. O_o

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Well, it's interesting that Ash only fights the ones that are in the games.
    The writers put Ash to face the Gym Leaders from the games in order to promote them.

There are more than just eight gyms in each region. The badges prove it, and even Candice from Snowpoint City said she never gets too many challengers because they don't wish to go way up north where it's cold and covered in snow.

Edit: Reopening upon request of the OP to open this for further discussion and widening the topic.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am opening this topic to discuss other gyms. What kinds have been shown? And what I'm curious about is why there are cases for 10 badges if he plans to get more? In fact, there seems to be many different size cases for badges.

Guest123_x1

Here's how I always thought the story goes:
    Each individual league's governing body (say, a "Board of Directors") sets the required badges for entry into their championships. Most, if not every league has more gyms than those that offer the league-required badges.
    The badges from gyms other than the league-required gyms will not get you into the league's championships (unless you have all the league-required badges in addition, although the linked Bulbapedia article apparently discredits this).
    I doubt if Gary got his "extra" gym badges from another league's gyms-I don't think you can be registered to more than one league at the same time. You can only get a league's gym badges if you are registered to that league.

Years
  • Here's something I'm curious about: If one wanted to participate in a league again, could they reuse the ones they earned or would they be required to re-earn them again?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    The badges probably have something similar to an expiration date encoded in them. I'm going to say no".
    Yeah, probably something like that, also in the orange league, Nurse Joy scanned scanned Ashs badges just to check them.

Years
  • Dont forget this
    1.Pewter Gym = Boulder Badge
    2.Ceruleun Gym = Cascade Badge
    3.Vermillion Gym = Thunder Badge
    4.Celadon Gym = Rainbow Badge
    5.Fuschia Gym = Soul Badge
    6.Saffron Gym = Marsh Badge
    7.Cinnabar Gym = Volcano Badge
    8.Viridian Gym = Earth Badge
    9.Saffron Fighting Dojo = ?
    10.Dark City Yas Gym = ?
    11.Dark City Kas Gym = ?

So by the time Gary got back to Viridian to get the Earth Badge he would of had 10 so far if you count 9, 10 and 11.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back